Removing noise from a lamp dimmer

slefley

Removing noise from a lamp dimmer
« on: 18 Dec 2018, 04:08 pm »
I like listening in a darkened (but not black) room, so have been using Lutron wireless dimmers on two plug-in fixtures.  This worked perfectly until I switched to a Decware SET amp and now I get a buzzing noise when using the dimmer.  Has anyone found a relatively low cost product that will allow me to use dimmers with my new amp?

skunark

Re: Removing noise from a lamp dimmer
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2018, 04:46 pm »
I use phillips hue bulbs without an issue, normal light switch, just smartphone to dim.   

slefley

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2018, 05:45 pm »
Thanks, I'll try those.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2018, 06:20 pm »
On the cheap you can get some incandescent low wattage bulbs and some extra lamps? Then the dimmer is OFF 100% and you are using the small bulbs for lighting?
Also small incandescent light bulbs right ON the amp circuit can 'eat up' some of the garbage on the AC line...(The poor man's Noise Harvester)

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2018, 06:56 pm »
Are the bulbs on the dimmer circuit LED types?  If so they must be of the dimmable variety which I recently learned about.  I replaced with incandescents.  :wink:

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2018, 06:56 pm »
Shunyata - Hydra Typhon QR Power Conditioner

https://www.musicdirect.com/power/Shunyata-Hydra-Typhon-QR-Power-Conditioner
Pair the Shunyata Hydra Typhon QR Power Conditioner with Triton v3 to Form the Ultimate Power-Conditioning Suite: State-of-the-Art Technologies Allow You ...

Very effective with all kinds of noise. You will instantly hear the difference, even if you don't have a dimmer problem.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2018, 07:25 pm »
I use phillips hue bulbs without an issue, normal light switch, just smartphone to dim.

Wow that is interesting please elaborate thanks.

charles

skunark

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2018, 08:15 pm »

Wow that is interesting please elaborate thanks.

charles

Philips Hue essentially is two parts a controlling hub and one or more bulbs.  The color bulbs is what i use in the audio room, and they are about double the cost of the white hue bulbs, all of which is significantly more expense than basic led bulbs.  My audio room has about $300 worth of bulbs including the hub.     They have been outlasting the basic cree bulbs too, so im slowing migrating my entire house to it.     

I wanted color hue bulbs in the audio room to try different colors for fun.  I mostly select a soft white dimmed but the color bulbs are still especially fun for others.

Another use of hue bulbs are the front porch and hallway lights are set to turn in around sunset and off at midnight.     Hallway lights can turn on with a motion sensor.

For the office i can switch from soft white to bright white as needed, it wasn’t something i was after initially but glad to have it now.

It all started in the audio room to remove a noisy dimmer. 

Jim

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2018, 10:50 pm »
Hi Slefley,
   I went thru the same thing your talking about. I removed my dimmer. Bought an Emotiva 2 plug DC blocker,99 bucks. Noticed my Dyna 70's transformer humming and hammered a wooden wedge inbetween the mounting screws. Put a York 5 pound dumbell cast iron plate on the cage of the amp to supress something? It does work.
    I couldn't live without the dimmer for the cool factor. I put it back in and couldn't tell any difference as maybe the other things fixed the hum......so.....if you want something on the cheap, I saw your answer for 20 bucks .....The Lava Lamp!....Take care...Mark K.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2019, 12:15 am »
  Thanks Jim for the information much appreciated. Lutron dimmers do not hum.

charles

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2019, 12:28 am »
I like this solution.  Absolutely noiseless.

But I think I may upgrade, minus the power cord,  so that I can carry it to my turntable.

skunark

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2019, 12:46 am »
Put 100 of those "wireless" candles in a room, i bet you can hear them flicker :)
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2019, 05:43 am by skunark »

slefley

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2019, 04:15 am »
Love the candle idea. And rollo, the Lurton dimmers may not hum in your system but they do loudly in mine.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2019, 04:14 pm »
Love the candle idea. And rollo, the Lurton dimmers may not hum in your system but they do loudly in mine.

Surprising to hear as Lutron claims no hum. Go figure.

charles

artur9

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2019, 12:09 am »
I like this solution.  Absolutely noiseless.

When I was in chemistry class and we had to observe a candle and make scientific observations, one of them was how much noise it made.  A kind of weird hissing.

Unless you mean electrical noise.  Then, yeah.  :D

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2019, 02:55 am »
When I was in chemistry class and we had to observe a candle and make scientific observations, one of them was how much noise it made. A kind of weird hissing.

Unless you mean electrical noise.  Then, yeah.  :D

yes thats wax boiling up to a burn temperature. I burned my eye lashes off leaning that, eye lashes burn much louder and leaves a awful odor in the room for hours.

I swear a 2 speaker rig always sounds better by candle light.

GR

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jan 2019, 03:02 am »
Shunyata - Hydra Typhon QR Power Conditioner

https://www.musicdirect.com/power/Shunyata-Hydra-Typhon-QR-Power-Conditioner
Pair the Shunyata Hydra Typhon QR Power Conditioner with Triton v3 to Form the Ultimate Power-Conditioning Suite: State-of-the-Art Technologies Allow You ...

Very effective with all kinds of noise. You will instantly hear the difference, even if you don't have a dimmer problem.

yes and at only  Price $9,000.00  I think i will get two, run one thru the other

GR

RPM123

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jan 2019, 05:18 pm »

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #18 on: 26 Jan 2019, 09:26 pm »
Hi,
    Maine electric rates went up 14 percent so I changed all my light bulbs to LED's. There giving them away at Home Depot, 50 cents and they last 13 years, not 12 mind you. I put one in my stereo/bedroom and kept the old dimmer in the circuit. Will I have any troubles with this?  The bulbs said they were dimmable but are LED's better or worse than anything else used?
    I can't tell the difference. I got a cd copy of an old Danny Kaye mono album; Hans Christian Anderson. May sound a little light in the loafers on the musical side but it sounds as good as Thriller for some reason...Mikes?.....thanks...Mark K.