OB sub a good option in this location?

DLStryker

OB sub a good option in this location?
« on: 20 Nov 2023, 07:40 am »
Here are my room measurements.  Listening position and speaker location cannot change.  Would the OB subs work in this settup?

In short, the subs would have 13 feet behind them and firing at a wall 11 feet in front of them.

KTS

Re: OB sub a good option in this location?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2023, 11:39 am »
DLSstryker,
I don’t believe I understand your layout, is this for mixing and mastering? It looks like you are 3’ from the speakers/sub, am I seeing this correctly?
My apologies if I am not understanding, still waiting on the coffee to kick in.

Kelly

DLStryker

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2023, 04:26 pm »
The wall is 3 feet behind my back.  The speakers/sub are 8 feet in front of me.  The speakers/sub are 11 feet from the wall that is behind my back.

I know... crazy set up!  This is the master bedroom in my house.  My wife uses the office in our house as her home office.  So I have taken the extra footage available in the master bedroom and set up my home office in there.  So the 13 feet of open space is the bed/etc.  So my seating place and speaker placement is pretty much not adjustable from the placement in the drawing.  I am going to have to make my system work in those measurements.

KTS

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2023, 07:44 pm »
I am not sure, but as long as your subs are not backing up to the bed it should work. They like to be at least 36” from anything, in theory you have that. Again not the best set-up for letting your gear show what it is capable of, but I believe it could work.

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2023, 08:54 pm »
Is this diagram what you are thinking? It was hard to read the one in the photo.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2023, 09:05 pm »
Also, which subs -- Doubles? Triples? It will make a difference in your large room, especially if you're into bass-heavy music. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2023, 09:39 pm »
OB subs will be fine in your room.

DLStryker

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2023, 01:31 am »
Is this diagram what you are thinking? It was hard to read the one in the photo.

Yes sir.  That is exactly it.  Thank you!

DLStryker

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2023, 01:36 am »
Also, which subs -- Doubles? Triples? It will make a difference in your large room, especially if you're into bass-heavy music.

Starting with a single triple.  I don't have an unlimited budget.   So moving forward as necessary.  If necessary, I can add a second triple as the budget allows.  I don't really listen to music loud any more.  By "loud", meaning bass that you can feel in the chest.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2023, 03:37 am »
Starting with a single triple.  I don't have an unlimited budget.   So moving forward as necessary.  If necessary, I can add a second triple as the budget allows

Sounds like a good plan. Pay-as-you-go is one of the benefits of DIY. And yeah, it will be necessary to add a second triple when the budget allows.