What feet is everyone using for their floor standing speakers

BrandonB

What feet are you using for your NX-otica or your floor standing speakers.  I am getting my flatpack this week and I haven't decided if Im going to put feet on them or not.  It's going to be in a room that is tiled with a big rug.  Most likely the speaker will be on the tile.  I have seen the GAIA 11.  I am not sure how good they are but they seem pretty pricey.  I am not sure if the GAIA 11 is the right size for the speaker. 

EkW

I used to use Herbie’s footers. They are a terrific value. I have since moved on to AV Room Service feet. They look like the cheap pads you can find online everywhere for cheap but they are different. I have found that they keep the bass from exciting my floor. With spikes my chair would shake but bass was bloated. Herbie’s helped a lot but A/V Room Service feet really kept the vibrations out of the floor. Townsend Seismic Sinks are supposed to something similar but they cost even more.
If they are in stock the Herbie’s sliders are great; they isolate as well as allowing easy speaker repositioning and don’t cost much.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
I have Gaia III on my X-Statiks.  Bought them used for quite a bit less.  Improved focus and midbass clarity.  I’ve also used Isoacoustics small speaker stands and also heard similar effects with X-LS and X-CS Encores.  Big fan.

BrandonB

I have Gaia III on my X-Statiks.  Bought them used for quite a bit less.  Improved focus and midbass clarity.  I’ve also used Isoacoustics small speaker stands and also heard similar effects with X-LS and X-CS Encores.  Big fan.

I know the GAiA feet for sured look nice. I not sure how much the NX-Otica weights.  I bet they are close in weight though.

jpm

+1 for Gaias. I was skeptical about how much difference they'd make but my experience bears out what I've heard others saying about them. I bought a second set right away as a result.

350Industrial

I just use the GR Research spikes on my NX-Oticas, but they're penetrating carpet + pad then sitting on a thick concrete basement floor underneath.  I don't feel my floor vibrating at all, so never tried anything else.  Wondering if there would even be a benefit of isolation feet in my use case? Also, the tweeter already sits much higher than my listening position, don't want to add to that.

BrandonB

+1 for Gaias. I was skeptical about how much difference they'd make but my experience bears out what I've heard others saying about them. I bought a second set right away as a result.

What size are you using?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I just use the GR Research spikes on my NX-Oticas, but they're penetrating carpet + pad then sitting on a thick concrete basement floor underneath.  I don't feel my floor vibrating at all, so never tried anything else.  Wondering if there would even be a benefit of isolation feet in my use case? Also, the tweeter already sits much higher than my listening position, don't want to add to that.

I use footers on the back of the speakers but not on the front.  This tilts them so the tweeter is firing more toward me.

rinzzlr

« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2023, 08:05 am by rinzzlr »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
When I packed up a pair of Oticas for shipping, each box weighed 95 pounds. That would put the Oticas around 85 pounds each with No-Rez and upgraded crossovers. I'd also go with the GAIA IIs. I use the GAIA IIIs on speaker stands NX-Studio Monitors.

Freo-1

Re: What feet is everyone using for their floor standing speakers
« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2023, 07:41 pm »
I use the spikes supplied with the ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers.  Since I have a hardwood floor, the speakers on set on 3/8" tempered glass I had custom made.  Works very well.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2023, 08:56 pm »
I personally prefer isolation. I use Gaia for my low bass sections. For heavy sections subs, and mids/tweets that are too heavy I use properly loaded (compressed) sorbothane using sorbothane calculator.  https://www.sorbothane.com/technical-data/design-guide-calculators/load-rating-calculator/

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2023, 09:49 pm »
I personally prefer isolation. I use Gaia for my low bass sections. For heavy sections subs, and mids/tweets that are too heavy I use properly loaded (compressed) sorbothane using sorbothane calculator.  https://www.sorbothane.com/technical-data/design-guide-calculators/load-rating-calculator/

Technically that is not isolation. That is adding a damper.

Rule of thumb is that if you have a solid slab of concrete then spike the speakers straight to the floor so that they do not move.

If you have a lossy floor like a suspended floor that moves, then a damper in the mix somewhere within the spike or in addition to is ideal.

Roy Boy

My main system is on the second floor of my house which is a carpeted suspended floor. I have floor standing speakers with a fairly inert cabinet structure ( Green Mountain Audio Continuum3) and a pair of Seaton Submersive subs. I run the mains full range and bring in the subs underneath them. I was just using the integrate spikes on my mains and the integrated feet on the subs. My local dealer convinced me try the ISO Puck 76 feet sitting on their carpet spikes. I added them to my mains first. I was a little surprised at the level of improvement. It seems to declutter the soundstage and improve the bass definition. I next added the same to the Seaton subs. I was really expecting no improvement as the sub have dual opposing 15 inch drivers  and I can feel no vibration placing my hand on top of the cabinet during heavy bass passages. I was shocked at the improvement. The communication of space in the recording, if there is any, was greatly improved. I cannot explain why I should see this improvement in a dual opposed sub. Maybe that is a question for Danny.

Danny Richie

My main system is on the second floor of my house which is a carpeted suspended floor. I have floor standing speakers with a fairly inert cabinet structure ( Green Mountain Audio Continuum3) and a pair of Seaton Submersive subs. I run the mains full range and bring in the subs underneath them. I was just using the integrate spikes on my mains and the integrated feet on the subs. My local dealer convinced me try the ISO Puck 76 feet sitting on their carpet spikes. I added them to my mains first. I was a little surprised at the level of improvement. It seems to declutter the soundstage and improve the bass definition. I next added the same to the Seaton subs. I was really expecting no improvement as the sub have dual opposing 15 inch drivers  and I can feel no vibration placing my hand on top of the cabinet during heavy bass passages. I was shocked at the improvement. The communication of space in the recording, if there is any, was greatly improved. I cannot explain why I should see this improvement in a dual opposed sub. Maybe that is a question for Danny.

A second floor is a lossy floor. That mean it moves. So it is still good to spike it to it, but adding a damper like your ISO Puck will really help.

vonnie123

I’m using Isoacoustics GAIA iii on my Monitor Audio GR20s (4) and on my KEF LS50 W2 /S2 stands (2). Two separate systems.  Each is platformed with three inch thick maple platforms from Butcher Block Acoustics.  Two platforms for the main system of two sets of GR20s and two for the Mancave KEFs.  The platforms have castered wheels so they can be easily positioned.

vonnie123

Here’s the Monitor Audio GR20s   Sorry they posted sideways….

Floor surface in both rooms is porcelain tile on concrete slab.  The ability to adjust positioning is helpful.

RonP

I’m using Isoacoustics GAIA +  three inch thick maple platforms from Butcher Block Acoustics.
I'm using this under my Turntable. Works fantastically!

Sean from Iso is always available via email for a recommendation of which product would work best, etc.  As is Jim from BBA.

vonnie123

I'm using this under my Turntable. Works fantastically!

Sean from Iso is always available via email for a recommendation of which product would work best, etc.  As is Jim from BBA.

Agreed.  Sean is awesome.  The KEF S2 stands use a different M8 thread.  He got them right out to me via the US Focal/ Naim distributor.  Service was excellent.

artur9

If you have a lossy floor like a suspended floor that moves, then a damper in the mix somewhere within the spike or in addition to is ideal.

I have a second floor, carpeted situation with standmounts.  I've mass loaded the stands. 

Recommendations?  tia!