Looking for out-of-the-box power supply enclosure suggestions

Ericus Rex

Hi Folks!

I'm building a separate power supply for a diy tube amp.  I need a fairly large box 7x7" or 10x4" (depending on tranny placement either will work) and 3" deep.  And I want plastic to avoid any possibility of ground loop issues.  The dedicated project boxes I'm finding are close to $30 and that seems a bit ridiculous.  Is there something I can find at Lowe's or Target that can be used for half the dough?  Thanks!

Ericus Rex

No great ideas, eh?

No sweat.  I found an affordable box that will work just fine.  I arrived today and the quality is really quite nice at $8.50 each.  The compromise is that it doesn't come with a lid so I'll have to fit something, plywood, acrylic, hardwood...whatever I have lying around I guess.

Here's the link.  This place has some really cool stuff for the diy'er!

http://www.surplussales.com/Cab-RacksHardware/encl_3.html

walkern

I've used cigar boxes for a variety of modest enclosure needs.  They come in all different sizes and shapes, and are sometimes decorated in interesting art work.  Some are more sturdy than others, and most come with some sort of top or way to open and close them.  You can find loads of options on ebay.  Just a thought... a little outside the box.

fredgarvin

Thanks for the link.  :D

Speedskater

• Kevin
A safe, double insulated enclosure is not a DIY project!
With the higher voltages in a tube amp, safety should be a big concern.