Ceiling: 244 bass traps, 244 with scatter plates or diffusors?

AudioDwebe

Hi, all.

For ceiling treatment, which product do you recommend?

I currently have stacked 244's with scatter plates in the front corners, plain 244's at the first and second reflective points on the sides, plain 244 centered on the front wall and 244's with scatter plates behind the listening position.

My next move is the ceiling. 

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mamoru

Mike-48

I would probably use 2D Alpha panels, for their finer-grain scattering than scatter plates. Let's see what GIK recommends.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
I would probably use 2D Alpha panels, for their finer-grain scattering than scatter plates. Let's see what GIK recommends.

+1.

But the OP should mention the dimensions of the room and ceiling height in particular to give you good advice!

Thanks,

Anand.

AudioDwebe

Thank you.

12 x 16 room used lengthwise.  Speakers five feet from the front wall and seven feet from listening position.  About three feet in from the side walls.

Ceiling is nine feet placing the tweeters about six feet from the ceiling.

poseidonsvoice

Thank you.

12 x 16 room used lengthwise.  Speakers five feet from the front wall and seven feet from listening position.  About three feet in from the side walls.

Ceiling is nine feet placing the tweeters about six feet from the ceiling.

And what speakers are they? Knowing the vertical dispersion (vertical off axis response) would be useful as ceiling treatments most commonly affect timbre.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2020, 02:31 am by poseidonsvoice »

AudioDwebe

Merlin TSM.

Thank you.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Are you trying to address reflections or height modes?  If the ceiling is under 8.5', I would use 244's with the range limiter option directly over the seating.  If in the reflection zone, I would use them plain and full range.

AudioDwebe

Just reflection area on the ceiling.  No idea what a height mode is.

poseidonsvoice

Bryan,

Given that the speakers are Merlin TSM's (tweeter/midwoofer 2 way), they most certainly will have a hole vertically off axis like most 2 ways of that configuration (somewhere between 1Khz to 5khz I imagine). A ceiling cloud using 244's (full range)may be a good option then.

The VSM was measured several years back. Both the VSM and TSM are designed by the late Bobby Palkovic and I imagine they have several similarities. Here is the vertical off axis response of the VSM:

At 15 degrees, at 2.2khz there is already a 10dB nadir. So I imagine at further off axes, it will only get deeper. Psychoacoustically, treating the ceiling properly should help with timbre.

Best,
Anand.

AudioDwebe

Thank you.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Definitely a cloud would be useful overhead pending the room height.  Addressing the reflections would be a good thing also. 

jtcf

If it's ok I have the same sort of question.So instead of starting a new thread here is my dilemma:16 x 17 room,Tekton Impact Monitor speakers with the tweeters 4' from the 7.5' ceiling.Currently I have each corner trapped floor to ceiling with doubled 244s and a Monster trap centered on the front wall.Damping first reflections on the sides deadens the room excessively,so that's a no go.I installed one (leftover) 242 on the ceiling yesterday centered between the speakers and my listening chair to good effect.
How to proceed with further ceiling treatment?Two more panels that would stretch across that zone?Should they have diffusion included?Or maybe over the listening chair?I'm trying to tame the flutter echo without over damping.It's not possible to have treatments behind me on the back wall.