GIK treatments for our engineering lab

Big Red Machine

GIK treatments for our engineering lab
« on: 7 Dec 2015, 12:27 am »
Glenn, Shelly, and Christina helped us pull this off. I tripled the size of our lab space in a $2M capital project this year. I knew that I wanted it to be as aesthetically pleasing as it was functional and that if I "decorated" it with posters I might just as well make them absorbers to cut down on the ringing we were sure to get with metal structures, glass, and reflective surfaces.

So I opted to use art panels, lots of them, to spruce up the look and quiet the work spaces. I still have more work to do in the hydraulics lab with standard panels and I need to surround our 85 inch monitor with panels due to factory noise, but overall it came out very well.

The lab exterior was painted by a local artist, by hand, to depict industries we serve. I had some panels mimicking the lab exterior paint job placed in the stairwell for a feature wall if you use the stairs versus the elevator.

More mechanical rooms:

Big Red Machine

Re: GIK treatments for our engineering lab
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2015, 12:30 am »
The electrical room:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2015, 12:32 am »
The office area and conference room (for engineers only!):

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2015, 12:35 am »
And I threw a few white panels in my office and it made a huge difference. Now I can think in quiet:

Odal3

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2015, 12:57 am »
...but where are all the speakers  :D

Nice - taking the down the sound level must make a huge impact for everyone working there. Well done. Been using some Parker products for big things flying in the air.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2015, 01:10 am »
Great idea and very well done  :thumb:

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2015, 05:11 pm »
This project took some time but it was totally worth it. Thank you so much for taking the time to post the pictures!! Shelly is going to be emailing you soon to get these on our website.  :green:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2015, 05:46 pm »
Nicely done BRM  :thumb: Appreciated and enjoyed by all who work or visit I'm sure. Love the formula panels.  :D

brother love

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2015, 05:47 pm »
Very ingenious use of sound panels.  As a retired/ part time consulting mech engr/ project mgr, I love the use of formulas & tables employed on the art panels (the Ideal Gas Law panel is my fave). Well done!

PS, I used to order Parker Hannifin air cylinders for some of my HVAC projects (baghouses, retractable hoods, etc.).

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2015, 05:49 pm »
Nice job Pete and GIK!   :thumb:
User of Parker products here too for all my servo hydraulic equipment. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2015, 12:46 pm »
Great story BRM. 

The 40 foot by 40 foot dining room/bar of a local restaurant is terribly noisy (exposed concrete floor, pitched slope ceiling) the new owners were introducing themselves when I mentioned that I didn't like the noise.  He admitted others had also mentioned it, so I pointed him to Glenn/GIK and offered if he was interested, to let him borrow my six 244 panels for a few days to try them out.

If that works, I may try suggest GIK to a local upscale restaurant positioned in an historic factory that is even noisier (and frankly the biggest reason we haven't been back).

Hey Glenn, is there a referral prize available?   :green:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2016, 03:49 pm »
Just a follow up...

I did loan out my six 244 panels to the local restaurant and they made a noticeable difference (just sat them in the six deep window sills).  They announced being closed on Mondays to make improvements, so we waited until a couple of days ago before visiting.  The owner had (17) 242 panels suspended horizontally from the ceiling and another (6) bracketed off the high walls so as not to interfere with existing lighting and artwork.  Treatment has made a huge difference.  According to the manager on a busy night it sounds the dining room is empty from the kitchen.  Instead of annoyingly bright and noisy, it is now almost muted in there.

jimtranr

« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2016, 04:31 am »
Just a follow up...

I did loan out my six 244 panels to the local restaurant and they made a noticeable difference ...

Nicely done, JLM.

gregcss

« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2016, 04:54 am »
Just a follow up...

I did loan out my six 244 panels to the local restaurant and they made a noticeable difference (just sat them in the six deep window sills).  They announced being closed on Mondays to make improvements, so we waited until a couple of days ago before visiting.  The owner had (17) 242 panels suspended horizontally from the ceiling and another (6) bracketed off the high walls so as not to interfere with existing lighting and artwork.  Treatment has made a huge difference.  According to the manager on a busy night it sounds the dining room is empty from the kitchen.  Instead of annoyingly bright and noisy, it is now almost muted in there.
Never thought of putting these guys in a restaurant. Brilliant! There are many here that can use them.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2016, 05:42 pm »
Great work Pete and GIK
It shows an artistic, understated motivating flair.  A pride of ownership to work there.

You had better have tropical sandy beach coves and mountain scenery in your break room

Pez

« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2016, 05:49 pm »
I friggin love this!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2016, 05:17 pm »
Great idea!  Form and function at the same time.

JakeJ

« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2016, 07:25 pm »
We have an Anthony's Home Port on Columbia Point that overlooks the river.  Great view because the long wall facing the river is two stories of glass.  This makes for a horrendous acoustic, I have had to yell across a table of four to be heard.  They could use serious treatment.  Kudos to you and your company for recognizing the benefit of a well balanced acoustic in the workplace.  The only one I know of.

Link to a picture of Anthony's from the river:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x54987af7f57c79dd:0xeb85753a230a3fb7!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e1!4shttps://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/32113406!5santhony%27s+richland+wa+-+Google+Search&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiDjZOVnqXLAhVFRiYKHe75DXAQoioIdjAK