GIK Acoustics Exhibits at T.H.E. Show Newport Beach

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
GIK Acoustics Exhibits at T.H.E. Show Newport Beach
« on: 31 May 2014, 02:53 pm »

GIK Acoustics is making our first appearance at the The Home Entertainment Show in Newport Beach, CA, May 30 – June 1, 2014.  President Glenn Kuras will be on hand to talk with customers and we will display examples of our ArtPanels, Soffit Bass Traps, Q7d Diffusors and our new 4″ FreeStand Acoustic Panel.
Hilton Room 931

http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik-acoustics-exhibits-the-show-newport-beach/

Great first day on Friday. Looking forward to seeing some of you at The Show!

SoCalWJS

Re: GIK Acoustics Exhibits at T.H.E. Show Newport Beach
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2014, 03:06 pm »
Looks like somebody has some tuning to do today!   :green:

Managed to get them up the first flight of stairs, but one more to go. I've always wanted some of this type of diffusors and I couldn't resist getting these. After a bit of discussion with Shelly and (I'm sorry, was it Glenn?), they "twisted my arm" and talked me into the free-standing acoustic panels (it was a very tough sell  :green:) do to the lack of a dedicated listening space (these are free standing and very easy to move) and the issues I discussed with the room. Plan is to try them at the first reflection points on the side wall.

Looking forward to these and will report back (eventually) with the results.

Thank you GIK!

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2014, 03:20 pm »
 LOVE THE SOLD STICKERS are still on!!  :lol:Yes it was me (Glenn). :green: I most say your wife is wonderful. I think she is into listening to music as much, if not more then you! It was great to meet you and your wife and please keep in touch. Sure do wish I could have stayed in CA for a few more days. Would have been great to visit your place and others that Shelly and I met.

Have a great day!

PS we sold EVERYTHING from 2 rooms.  :thumb:

jimtranr

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2014, 08:05 pm »
Is any consideration being given to making the Demi Q7D available in the U.S.?

Jim

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2014, 10:43 pm »
We are looking into it, but really can not tell you when it is going to happen.

bernardo

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2014, 11:12 pm »
What is a Demi Q7D?

jimtranr

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2014, 11:40 pm »
A half-height Q7D.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2014, 11:14 pm »
Well, after some experimentation and moving my old diffusers to the sides and rear of the room and placing the new stuff where it sounds best (so far, this is where things are currently - forgive the crappy cropping - need to clean the carpet in the room and I'm trying to hide a few stains  :oops:)

The acoustic panels are barely visible at the first reflection points (hey - that's the widest angle lens I've got and I'm shooting from almost outside the room) covering part of a sliding glass door to the outside on the left and a sliding glass closet door on the right (ah, to have a dedicated room...... sigh, someday perhaps) and the diffusers on top of sideways doubled up 242's. Everything can be removed, but mostly just for HT - the "screen" is the slightly grey portion of the wall - next purchase may be a screen that fits between the Super V's and comes down to the top of the X-Voce. (yes, LS6's next to Super V's - my "Frankenspeakers")

Initial impressions? Well, put it this way, I'm two days behind on chores due to extensive listening.  :green: It's interesting hearing subtle (and not so subtle) changes as I move things around. This currently is the best compromise, but I will test further. It basically is a trade off between focus and depth at this point - the deeper the soundstage, the less focus and vice versa.

guf

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2014, 11:46 pm »
awesome show score! not having to pay shipping?! i wish i would've bought these.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2014, 12:08 am »
Looking good!!  :thumb:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2014, 04:26 pm »
Thanks for the hospitality.  We are getting our photos shot for the "Picture GIKS".   It is a tough choice on what to shoot. 

Steve

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2014, 01:35 pm »
A picture of Shelly and I at the show!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2014, 03:45 pm »
Well, after some experimentation and moving my old diffusers to the sides and rear of the room and placing the new stuff where it sounds best (so far, this is where things are currently - forgive the crappy cropping - need to clean the carpet in the room and I'm trying to hide a few stains  :oops:)

The acoustic panels are barely visible at the first reflection points (hey - that's the widest angle lens I've got and I'm shooting from almost outside the room) covering part of a sliding glass door to the outside on the left and a sliding glass closet door on the right (ah, to have a dedicated room...... sigh, someday perhaps) and the diffusers on top of sideways doubled up 242's. Everything can be removed, but mostly just for HT - the "screen" is the slightly grey portion of the wall - next purchase may be a screen that fits between the Super V's and comes down to the top of the X-Voce. (yes, LS6's next to Super V's - my "Frankenspeakers")

Initial impressions? Well, put it this way, I'm two days behind on chores due to extensive listening.  :green: It's interesting hearing subtle (and not so subtle) changes as I move things around. This currently is the best compromise, but I will test further. It basically is a trade off between focus and depth at this point - the deeper the soundstage, the less focus and vice versa.

I'll trade you a hutch for the FrankenSpeakers!

soundofrockets

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2014, 05:22 pm »
oh.  the hutch !!!!!!!!!!

hutch has to go.  hutch has to go !!!!!!!!!!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2014, 05:33 pm »
Every fine sounding audio room must have a hutch.  I call mine the brown hole.  All of the detail and imaging on the right side go into the brown hole.  Synergistic wants to buy my hutch and make little brown dots to create room barriers.  They are trying to figure out what this thing is made out of. 

Fear the hutch!
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2014, 08:16 pm by Cheeseboy »

SoCalWJS

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jun 2014, 03:12 pm »
Just a quick update and another round of thanks to Glenn and Shelly. I am soooo happy with the new purchases!

Not getting as much listening in recently as we have been busy traveling and the Summer heat has begun (Stereo is upstairs, so I tend to avoid it). I have gone back to the initial setup of the diffusers atop the 242's on the front wall and the acoustic panels to the outside of the L/R after some playing around. At some point I will get around to taking measurements with things shifted around, but I hate to start chasing around trying to get the best measurements rather than the sound that I like the best. For now, just going for the most enjoyable sound.

It's amazing how much difference room treatment s make. I am firmly in the camp that the Speakers and the Room are the two biggest difference makers, and fiddling around with the Room's Acoustics via treatments makes such a big change in things. I spent a bit of time last night listening to the Acoustic version CD that's included in Seal's Greatest collection on Hi-rez and was amazed at the differences I was hearing. Most noticeable to me at this point is how I can easily pick up on the different amount of Reverb/echo added during the recording. I never realized before how much it varies before. I also know I remarked on the same thing (reverb) on Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth CD. Little changes through the recording are readily apparent on it as well. It just seems so much easier to hear the little details now.

Thanks again!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2014, 03:16 pm »
Good to hear John.

I am tempting to use room correction to see how it'd perform sans room correction as a test for upcoming shows.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2014, 06:24 am »
Just a quick update and another round of thanks to Glenn and Shelly. I am soooo happy with the new purchases!

Not getting as much listening in recently as we have been busy traveling and the Summer heat has begun (Stereo is upstairs, so I tend to avoid it). I have gone back to the initial setup of the diffusers atop the 242's on the front wall and the acoustic panels to the outside of the L/R after some playing around. At some point I will get around to taking measurements with things shifted around, but I hate to start chasing around trying to get the best measurements rather than the sound that I like the best. For now, just going for the most enjoyable sound.

It's amazing how much difference room treatment s make. I am firmly in the camp that the Speakers and the Room are the two biggest difference makers, and fiddling around with the Room's Acoustics via treatments makes such a big change in things. I spent a bit of time last night listening to the Acoustic version CD that's included in Seal's Greatest collection on Hi-rez and was amazed at the differences I was hearing. Most noticeable to me at this point is how I can easily pick up on the different amount of Reverb/echo added during the recording. I never realized before how much it varies before. I also know I remarked on the same thing (reverb) on Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth CD. Little changes through the recording are readily apparent on it as well. It just seems so much easier to hear the little details now.

Thanks again!

Thank you sir for the report. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with.