Subwoofers -- Supplemental Bass vs Replacement Bass

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Subwoofers -- Supplemental Bass vs Replacement Bass
« on: 16 Jun 2021, 02:59 pm »
Do you use a subwoofer or subwoofers in your system?

If so:
1. How many subwoofers?
2. Are you using your sub/subs in Supplemental Bass mode ("satellites" play full range) or Replacement Bass mode ("satellites" have a high-pass filter/crossover)?
3. What kind of speakers do you have?
4. How big is your listening room?

What are your thoughts in general regarding supplemental versus replacement bass?

Thanks in advance for your reply (:

Nsm1979

Re: Subwoofers -- Supplemental Bass vs Replacement Bass
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2021, 04:31 pm »
I use dual subs providing supplemental bass.  My main speakers are open baffle Spacial Audio M4 Turbo S models.  My subs are GR Research open baffle, servo controlled  H-Frames consisting of dual 12’s being driven by Rythmik amps.  The Spatials are driven by Cherry Inline Mono King amps.  My room is 13’ wide by 15’ deep.

The room is partially treated with bass traps and dispersion on the front and heavy drapes in the rear.  The open baffles seem to do well in the small room. Bass is tight.  I feel the subs are able to stay up with the Spatials that can get down to 45 HZ. The subs are setup to supplement below that point.  This system really could benefit from a larger room with a concrete floor, as it is in an upstairs bedroom with a suspended wood floor.

I may, at some point, filter the Spatials to put them into a satellite mode just to try it.  To me, their bass is really satisfying down to where they were designed to play at.

Overall, really happy with what I hear.  My best setup to date.

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2021, 07:52 pm »
I use a swarm or DBA bass system.  4 10" woofers in 3 boxes, 1 12" woofer in a box.  All boxes are sealed and 2+cft.  I use a DBX crossover at 70 hz, a Mega Cherry for power.  These are spread over 3 walls.  Tried the xover at 40hz, integrates and sounds better at 70.  Main speakers are a pair of Magnepan DWM woofer planars 40 to 200 hz, pair of Magnepan MMGs and a pair of Martin Logan Clarities outboard of the MMGs.  Main power is a Maraschino King amp.

RonN5

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2021, 09:27 pm »
My Response:

1.  one subwoofer...Power Sound Audio Sealed 15" providing bass below 50hz

2.  used for supplemental bass...tried replacement but didn't sound nearly as good

3.  Salk Veracity ST...each has dual Seas 6" mid woofers with transmission line...strong, toneful output down to 40hz in my room

4.  Room...30'x 40' x 10' ceilings, open concept, tile floors, drywall, glass door walls, furniture, throw rugs....no sound absorption panels

5.  Amplifier....DAC 2Cherry

My experience is that there isn't much "tone" below 40hz but a lot of "feel, ambience, and the sensation of realism".  With my room being so large, the Salks needed reinforcement.  They provide the tone, the PSA S1500 provides the impact.