Amazing finding about Salk HT3s - Steve Updated III

texas steve

« on: 22 Apr 2006, 06:13 pm »
I'm into week two and have made all kinds of movements forward, back, toe in, etc, and have found one amazing thing.

Anyone who now owns a HT3 or is waiting on one - when your remove the top grill cloth (I had Jim put one on mine, see pictures my other postings, for the "wife factor") the sound ABSOLUTELY OPENS UP!  I'm not talking about a minor change here, its major!

In another post Jim was telling me I had too much toe in.  But I really needed it as the dispersion of the tweeter was just not as wide as I believed it should be, and the speakers needed to be pointed more directly at me.

So I said, hell with the wife, let me try removing the top grill cloth (I had Jim make it separate from the bottom as it was my "hope" to remove it over time once the wife got "used to it").  

I though my speakers sounded good BEFORE!  Well I just unleashed those puppies when I took of the grill cloth!!!!

NOTE TO JIM:  Perhaps for future "wife pleaser's" you could reduce the size of the inner frame (to allow for more dispersion) that holds the cloth on.

To those in the Houston area who wanted to give them a listen, you have my phone number so give me a call, I'm ready!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2006, 07:26 pm »
So I said, hell with the wife, let me try removing the top grill cloth (I had Jim make it separate from the bottom as it was my "hope" to remove it over time once the wife got "used to it").
..... :lol: ....The HT3's look good (always a great looking finish)....so I'm sure removing the grill cloth would not make them look "ugly"....happy listening !!! :wink:

texas steve

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2006, 08:06 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
..... :lol: ....The HT3's look good (always a great looking finish)....so I'm sure removing the grill cloth would not make them look "ugly"....happy listening !!! :wink:

Nope not in MY mind they dont!!  I like them better with them off, but ya know, we do have a "balance" in life!!

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2006, 08:40 pm »
Grills can actually be used for performance enhancement when they build in diffraction control into the grill.  However, this really should be taken into account in the crossover design, so it really isn't an ad hoc method.

Putting thick wool felt inside the grill covering all the frame from having direct reflections from the driver is one such way of doing this.  Avalon Acoustics is one company that actually uses their grills as diffraction control and their crossovers are designed for such, so they perform better with the grills on.  

There are a number of DIY posted studies on this affect and how to construct it yourself as well as a lot of supporting measurements of the affects online.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2006, 08:50 pm »
Top grill cloth?  What top grill clothes?

Frank VA

texas steve

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2006, 08:53 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
Top grill cloth?  What top grill clothes?

Frank VA

You can see the top speaker cloth in my pictures "Steves new Speaks"

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2006, 01:33 am »
I am not at all a fan of speaker grills (with the possible exception of the woofer where frequencies are low enough so they have little impact).  

It is true, crossovers can be optimized to take into account losses from speaker grill cloth.  But it is not an ideal situation. Diffraction artifacts are far better handled in the cabinet design.

I never recommend grills and do them only when requested (and even then, with appropriate warnings about decreased performance).  For the record, I get very few requests for grills on the midrange/tweeter section of the cabinet.

If supplied by request, I recommend removing them for listening and only using them to protect the drivers when not in use.

Of course, this is merely my point of view.  Customers have a right to have whatever they want.  But I did want to go on record as being less than enthusiastic where grills are concerned.

- Jim

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2006, 02:15 am »
I too prefer not using grills.  I was just stating that it could be done optimally for them too.  But I think its a waste and covers up Jim's artwork.

texas steve

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2006, 02:48 pm »
Quote from: jsalk
I
I never recommend grills and do them only when requested (and even then, with appropriate warnings about decreased performance).  For the record, I get very few r ...

As I mentioned in starting this thread, I too prefer to NOT have them, but at least in my home, I have the "wife factory" to deal with.  

When I first ordered them Jim did mention it, but my "plan" was to have him include them, and then S L O W L Y   acclimate my wife to them being removed.   As she sees them more and more with them off, she is starting to get use to it (well kind of).

My point, was to let anyone know who has their grill cloths on, or who is still waiting for their HT3s to arrive, be sure to listen with them off,  the sound is even more fabulous.

Great speakers Jim!