monitoring this forum and not seeing much activity

guest1632

Hi Kevin, Was wonder ing how the fusion amps are coming? It would be interesting to see your amps out there compared to, say the ava gear. What differences would I hear with the straight stereo version versus the monoblocks.thanks.
Ray

KevinW

« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2003, 05:43 pm »
Ray,
Thanks for your message.  The truth is that I've been working way too hard to spend much time on AC lately.  I'm doing some major revamping of my website, and developing some exciting new products.  I've also been hard at work building amps, and I expect some reviews to happen soon.

Regarding the monoblocks question, I'm delivering an order of two mono's Monday.  A detailed comparison vs. the stereo amp will be forthcoming.  However, the monos do have more RMS power available, since the same PS supplies only one channel instead of two.  Instantaneous power should be the same, since the PS has very beefy capacitor bank.

Kevin

guest1632

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2003, 06:20 pm »
Quote from: KevinW
Ray,
Thanks for your message.  The truth is that I've been working way too hard to spend much time on AC lately.  I'm doing some major revamping of my website, and developing some exciting new products.  I've also been hard at work building amps, and I expect some reviews to happen soon.

Regarding the monoblocks question, I'm delivering an order of two mono's Monday.  A detailed comparison vs. the stereo amp will be forthcoming.  However, the monos do have more RMS power available, since the same PS sup ...

KevinW

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2003, 08:04 pm »
That's an easy one...
$500 additional is actually very reasonable considering the amount of extra materials that go into them.  Monoblocks amps double the following components... chassis, transformer, PS capacitors (not the BG add-on), rectifier, ultrawire, and the cost to have the chassis laser cut and engraved. All of these items are expensive, because I use extremely high quality parts.  There's no skimping anywhere.

If you're trying to decide which version to buy, I would recommend the monos only for the following reasons:
- sytem layout:  my customer keeps his amps near his speakers, and didn't want to rearrange his whole system and purchase all new cables to accomodate a stereo amp.
- extra RMS power:  The monos will 500W RMS into 4 ohms, whereas the stereo amp will have 250W into 4 ohms.  Note, this is different from instantaneous power, where both amps will do 500W into 4 ohms.  Most people will never notice the difference, unless you have VERY inefficient speakers that could require up to 500W RMS power.
- sound quality:  I am expecting the Monos to be slightly better in sound quality, but not much.  We'll be comparing the two versions on very revealing speakers... VMPS RM40 w/ TRT.  I would expect that purchasing the other upgrades to the stereo amp would be the smart way to go if monos aren't necessary for the other reasons.
- home theater/multichannel:  if you want five or six symmetrical amps for a HT system, monos are the way to go :) :)

I will also add that introductory prices are going up soon, so let me know if you are seriously considering buying an amp.

guest1632

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2003, 09:34 pm »
Quote from: KevinW
That's an easy one...
$500 additional is actually very reasonable considering the amount of extra materials that go into them.  Monoblocks amps double the following components... chassis, transformer, PS capacitors (not the BG add-on), rectifier, ultrawire, and the cost to have the chassis laser cut and engraved. All of these items are expensive, because I use extremely high quality parts.  There's no skimping anywhere.

If you're trying to decide which version to buy, I would recommend the monos only f ...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2003, 08:55 pm »
I think things are about to heat up over here !  :)  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=6111