Great photos from the Golden age

dB Cooper

Great photos from the Golden age
« on: 1 Apr 2020, 06:07 pm »
Some great pics of some great musicians taken during the 'golden era' of jazz.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/gabrielsanchez/cool-vintage-photos-of-new-york-jazz

A couple of the guys at the table with Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman look familiar but I can't place them. I was hoping some of the jazz devotees here might be able to help.

Enjoy
« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2020, 11:18 pm by dB Cooper »

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: Grteat photos from the Golden age
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2020, 06:17 pm »
Thanks! Herman Leonard certainly knows how to get the dramatic angle and capture the emotion.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2020, 07:41 pm »
A couple of the guys at the table with Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman look familiar but I can't place them. I was hoping some of the jazz devotees here might be able to help.

From the comments in: https://www.jazzwax.com/2009/10/photostoryxx-herman-leonard.html

"Hello, Herman Leonard's manager here. The person [far right] in this photograph has been identified as Jack Robbins, a music publisher. Also in the image, behind Duke to his left, is clarinetist Stan Hasselgard."

I like the one of Mulligan with the trumpet kissing the girl. Three of my favorite things: Mulligan, trumpets and kissing girls.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2020, 11:46 pm »
From the comments in: https://www.jazzwax.com/2009/10/photostoryxx-herman-leonard.html

"Hello, Herman Leonard's manager here. The person [far right] in this photograph has been identified as Jack Robbins, a music publisher. Also in the image, behind Duke to his left, is clarinetist Stan Hasselgard."

I like the one of Mulligan with the trumpet kissing the girl. Three of my favorite things: Mulligan, trumpets and kissing girls.

Thanks richidoo.I didn't think about Mulligan holding a trumpet; it seems odd now that I do because Mulligan's instrument was baritone sax. (Side note, my first jazz concert was Two Generations of Brubeck, with special guests Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan, at the Kennedy Center in WDC in the mid '70's. Great start, GREAT show.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Great photos from the Golden age
« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2020, 11:53 pm »
Great stuff dB, Thanks for the link. Kind of interesting to see Dizzy with a straight trumpet.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2020, 12:10 am »
There's a story behind that angled trumpet. Apparently his trumpet got bent and he decided he liked it and had one made. I was fortunate enough to have seen Diz live too.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2020, 12:28 am »
These photos remind me of the ones hanging all through the halls of the Palmer House Hotel in Chicago, taken of performers in their Empire Dining Room. Performers included all the stars of the day including Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Ella Fitzgerald, Harry Belafonte, Louis Armstrong, and Liberace. The thing is that the photos are top quality, like these, and show the performers as you've never seen them, like these.

johndoe21ro

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2020, 09:20 pm »
Great photos! Thanks for posting the link! :)

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2020, 10:28 pm »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2020, 10:43 pm »
I like this one of a crowd at a Benny Goodman concert in Oakland CA, 1940:

richidoo

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2020, 10:58 pm »
Thanks richidoo.I didn't think about Mulligan holding a trumpet; it seems odd now that I do because Mulligan's instrument was baritone sax. (Side note, my first jazz concert was Two Generations of Brubeck, with special guests Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan, at the Kennedy Center in WDC in the mid '70's. Great start, GREAT show.

If you like Desmond and Mulligan together, they made two albums together. Two of a Mind, and Blues in Time. The CD actually sounds better than the original vinyl on Two of a Mind. Really great playing by both.

There's a story behind that angled trumpet. Apparently his trumpet got bent and he decided he liked it and had one made. I was fortunate enough to have seen Diz live too.

There were MANY stories about how his trumpet got bent. He told a different story at almost every concert for 50 years. Queen of England sat on it, he couldn't hear himself, set it on a chair went out for a smoke, etc, etc, etc.  I think it was more about being short and being nearsighted trying to read charts with poor club lighting while keeping his bell level with the taller trumpeters in the trumpet sections - Occams Razor.