Audiophile pressings

G E

Audiophile pressings
« on: 11 Feb 2018, 04:01 am »
Curious to know who is buying and listening to "audiophile" pressings. The ones from Impex, Analogue Productions, Music Matters and others.

I have a couple handfuls of them and several more are in several shopping carts.

Classic Records productions sound pretty good but can be a little noisy. Impex experience was great. Music Matters label is pricey$50 per. But they are supposed to be tops.

Right now im listening to a WLP (promo copy) weather report slab from 1973 and it is great!  $12 in the used bin. Silent, on center. Decent dynamics.

Thoughts?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Audiophile pressings
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2018, 04:18 am »
I've got a couple of Classic Records repressings of RCA shaded dog classical.  I find the repressing to not be as dynamic as the originals.  On the other hand, every Analogue Production vinyl I own is excellent.  No experience with Music Matters.

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2018, 03:40 pm »
+1 on Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds.

RPM123

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2018, 05:50 pm »
+1 on Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds.

+2

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2018, 06:08 pm »
I usually prefer the original master to the remastered "to modern standards" version. Of the dozen or so $50 audiophile pressings I have purchased, all of them had noise that I felt was unacceptable for that kind of money when virtually every LP bought at the end of the real vinyl era was dead silent. For the price of a new audiophile pressing I can try a couple times (if necessary) to find a nice copy of the original master version. Because only a few thousand copies will sell, audiophile pressings are limited to the famous classic recordings that have perennial demand. Of the few that I have compared, I have found that the vinyl version of new releases are generally inferior SQ to the digital release, even on so-called audiophile labels like Linn. ymmv

G E

« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2018, 01:37 am »
I picked up 3 Music Matters discs a couple weeks ago. 

WOW!!!

This is the way vinyl is supposed to be enjoyed. Flat, silent, pressed dead on center.

And the music is sublime!  Jaw droppingly good sound.

I picked up a Blue Note reissue from the liberty records era. It has RVG in the run out. Much more in your face presence. Lots of drive and detail. But I'd rather listen to the music Matters versions for long sessions.

These are out of print and prices on their website are going up.

doak

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2018, 07:54 pm »
I've been buying "audiophile" LPs on and off since the the early '80s and have been more recently too often disappointed with quality to the point of returning a significant fraction of purchases.

However, I completely agree with what's been said regarding the Music Matters products. I ordered 20 or so out of their initial groups of Blue Note 33 releases and am nothing but pleased with each and every one of them - a PREMIUM product in every way including the covers. I am also glad I got them when they were priced @ $30.  8)

G E

« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2018, 09:04 pm »

However, I completely agree with what's been said regarding the Music Matters products. I ordered 20 or so out of their initial groups of Blue Note 33 releases and am nothing but pleased with each and every one of them - a PREMIUM product in every way including the covers. I am also glad I got them when they were priced @ $30.  8)

I was asleep at the switch when they came out so my three cost $199. That's for two 33-1/3 and one double 45 rpm.

Don't tell my wife. Even my audio buddy with the Transrotor TT thinks I am nuts.

doak

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2018, 10:32 pm »
I was asleep at the switch when they came out so my three cost $199. That's for two 33-1/3 and one double 45 rpm.

Don't tell my wife. Even my audio buddy with the Transrotor TT thinks I am nuts.
Then (in honor of Mothers' Day) Mum's the word.