Did you ever consider a digital amp before Bryston?

1ZIP

Re: Did you ever consider a digital amp before Bryston?
« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2010, 09:52 pm »
For those clueless about a "digital amp", like myself this might help.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/class-d-digital-amplifier

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2010, 11:31 pm »
NO DIGITAL AMP BEFORE BRYSTON.

95Dyna

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:43 am »
When I made my decision in 6/09 I had it boiled down to the 7B's, MAC 501's and the Bel Canto REF1000MKII's.  The Bel Cantos are arguably the most highly regarded class D amps.  They are in fact a Stereophile Class A pair of amps three years running.  The advantages are the small size, weight and absense of heat.  There were too many variables in my audition of the Bel Cantos and the 7's I eventually bought without an audition so I can't comment on what you should do.  Although I was very tempted to go with thye Bel Cantos I just couldn't pull the trigger against a tried and true product like the Bryston 7B's.  I'm not looking back.  The 7's are the poster boys for the expression "iron fist in a velvet glove".  The only thing I would consider replacing them with is a pair of 28B's.

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2010, 09:21 am »
A "Class D" amplifier is one thing, but a "digital" amplifier is a very different animal !!
I don't know of any commercially available "digital" amplifiers.

I stand corrected.  I think some people knew what I meant and others didn't.  For there record I meant class D amp versus digital amp.

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2010, 09:27 am »
When I made my decision in 6/09 I had it boiled down to the 7B's, MAC 501's and the Bel Canto REF1000MKII's.  The Bel Cantos are arguably the most highly regarded class D amps.  They are in fact a Stereophile Class A pair of amps three years running.  The advantages are the small size, weight and absense of heat.  There were too many variables in my audition of the Bel Cantos and the 7's I eventually bought without an audition so I can't comment on what you should do.  Although I was very tempted to go with thye Bel Cantos I just couldn't pull the trigger against a tried and true product like the Bryston 7B's.  I'm not looking back.  The 7's are the poster boys for the expression "iron fist in a velvet glove".  The only thing I would consider replacing them with is a pair of 28B's.

I hear ya.  Bryston is tried and true and I suppose I'd end up with a terrific amp.  I just want to enjoy my system more which I really don't and I'm trying to hone in on problems and the amp may be part of it.  However there are so many selections and excellent reviews if class d amps at less than half the price and I'm not convinced half the quality.  Still pondering and I appreciate your feedback.

vegasdave

« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2010, 09:52 am »
All I can say is BRYSTON is damn good.  8)

IN MY OPINION.

Napalm

« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2010, 02:57 pm »
A digital amp is a DAC assembled with power components.

Before any discussion on how such DAC can be more "precise" than a low signal one.... please note that your cables and speakers become a part of the output analog low pass filter. How this can be more precise than using low tolerance, factory selected low power resistors and capacitors.... it's all your guess.

Nap.

klao

« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:53 pm »
I really did dig Bryston amps the first time I auditioned them in my own room.  Couldn't afford those 7B-SST back then when the global financial problems began to take their toll. 

Later, I purchased the ICE power class D monoblocks instead at about 1/4 the price of a new pair of 7B-SST/2's in Thailand.  Credits to the folks at Wyred 4 Sound, their amps are pretty awesome.  Certainly not 3/4 less good than the Bryston; terrific value for money.

But when things got a bit better for me, I took the first chance I got to acquire the Brystom amps I always wanted.  To my ears, they sound superior to my previous class D amps.  :D

vegasdave

« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2010, 11:25 pm »
That's cool...I had an Onkyo digital integrated amp before BRYSTON. No comparison. The Onkyo overheated and shut down when you tried to turn it up.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #30 on: 23 Dec 2010, 07:13 am »
I didn't consider a digital amp.

I auditioned a couple of Parasound amps in the 200W range.  I didn't like either one, even when paired with my current Parasound PHP-850 pre-amp.

I also seriously considered the Spectral Audio DMA-180.  ( I have a friend that had one of these powering a big pair of Thiels)    Spectral Audio was used for some of the mixing of some of the RR (reference recordings) that I have.

I would have also considered the Threshold Stasis 500, if I would have been able to locate one.

I'm still extremely pleased with my Bryston 4B-ST that I bought the last weekend of September of 2001.

HsvHeelFan

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #31 on: 24 Dec 2010, 04:06 pm »
Appreciate all the great feedback fellas!  If I can somehow demo a Bryston amp on my system I'll give it a serious listen.  However, since I want to minimize the buy-sell (lose money) then buy-sell (lose money) process as much as possible on my amp search I'm not all that convinced yet that aside from a world class warranty and exceptional feel and styling (all very important) that I couldn't get comparable sound for less.  I'll be leaning toward companies that will give me a demo period versus strait out purchase.   I'll check the local audio shops and see if I can't demo a unit and try to report back down the road.  Realistically I don't see me picking up an amp until the March/April time frame.

smargo

« Reply #32 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:23 pm »
However, since I want to minimize the buy-sell (lose money) then buy-sell (lose money) process as much as possible on my amp search I'm not all that convinced yet that aside from a world class warranty and exceptional feel and styling (all very important) that I couldn't get comparable sound for less. 

Really whats the difference - you may purchase an amp and then hear one or is worded in such a way from the reviewer that hits a chord within you - that says i must have this amp - don't anticipate down the road - what you will like and dislike - who cares about the buy-sell -sell buy scenario. Isn't that what makes our hobby great - to me that is healthy - wanting the next best thing - when finances allow

who wants only one great amp for the rest of their life

happy holidays!!

vegasdave

« Reply #33 on: 24 Dec 2010, 08:29 pm »
Appreciate all the great feedback fellas!  If I can somehow demo a Bryston amp on my system I'll give it a serious listen.  However, since I want to minimize the buy-sell (lose money) then buy-sell (lose money) process as much as possible on my amp search I'm not all that convinced yet that aside from a world class warranty and exceptional feel and styling (all very important) that I couldn't get comparable sound for less.  I'll be leaning toward companies that will give me a demo period versus strait out purchase.   I'll check the local audio shops and see if I can't demo a unit and try to report back down the road.  Realistically I don't see me picking up an amp until the March/April time frame.

Put it to you this way...I used to own a very expensive Swiss made amp and preamp, the FM Acoustics. I compared the BRYSTON, and let me tell you, I'll be damned if I heard a difference. Actually, I like the BRYSTON better. The FM amp used to overheat and shut down when pushed hard. The BRYSTON 4BSST doesn't do that. The BP6 preamp is more transparent than the FM preamp.

Anyway, I sold the FM amp and preamp, paid my rent for a year, and bought a new (used) car.

My point is, more expensive is not always better, but if you go the cheap route (made in China most likely) you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

So buy BRYSTON with confidence...if you don't like it later on, you can always sell it close to what you paid for it as BRYSTON has good resale value. Or go up in the BRYSTON line!

8)

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #34 on: 25 Dec 2010, 04:32 pm »
And they look so friggin' cool,  Laundrew I'll see yer 28's and raise ya 2 Torus and a 4Bsst. ( Drummer, you stay outta this, nobody can compete with you except James) :D

Greetings wrathchild  :D

I must most humbly capitulate and eloquently place my cards, face down on the table. The next Bryston component into the Laundrew household will be a B100.

What a most awesome system you have wrathchild, its clean lines and simplistic presentation speaks volumes  :thumb:

Be well...

drummermitchell

« Reply #35 on: 25 Dec 2010, 04:51 pm »
Wrathchild, :hyper:,but me likes to gamble.really I'm quite unlucky :dunno: :eyebrows:.
                                                Happy Holidays

Laundrew

« Reply #36 on: 25 Dec 2010, 06:24 pm »
Wrathchild, :hyper:,but me likes to gamble.really I'm quite unlucky :dunno: :eyebrows:.
                                                Happy Holidays

Wanna Bet?  :P :wink: :D

Be well...

VOLKS

« Reply #37 on: 25 Dec 2010, 08:46 pm »
Laundrew.......Merry Christmas!...........will you be hooking up the JBL's to the new B100 once you buy it?

Laundrew

« Reply #38 on: 25 Dec 2010, 11:41 pm »
Laundrew.......Merry Christmas!...........will you be hooking up the JBL's to the new B100 once you buy it?

Merry Christmas to you also VOLKS  :D

No, my JBLs will not be getting hooked up to the B100 as this is for Mrs. Laundrew's audio system. She will most likely be leaning towards a book shelf speaker system and I will have to wait and see what speakers she enjoys.

Be well...

denjo

« Reply #39 on: 26 Dec 2010, 12:26 am »
I owned a Class D amplifier before moving on to a Bryston B100. Although the Bryston sounded considerably better, I was plagued with a defective unit which was replaced but was defective yet again. I had it repaired and sold it but the new owner complained of defects on two further occasions. Maybe just my luck with Bryston!