B135 SST2 volume knob loose

tcmo

B135 SST2 volume knob loose
« on: 5 Apr 2022, 04:31 pm »
The volume knob on my B135 SST2 is loose on the shaft.  There are 2 holes for set screws-only 1 has a screw in place.  What size and type of wrench is needed to tighten the screw?  Could Bryston send me another screw for the one that is missing?  I sent an e-mail to their service website last week but have not heard back.
Thank you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: B135 SST2 volume knob loose
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2022, 05:29 pm »
Please send email to Mike - mpickett@bryston.com

james

tcmo

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2022, 08:25 pm »
Thank you for your prompt reply.  I sent him an e-mail.
Thanks again.

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2022, 12:39 am »
I hate to say it but Quality Control has been going down hill for awhile.
Way back when I bought my 28s when I had took amp/amps out of the boxes and upon lifting the amp up at an angle I heard Tinkle ..Tinkle WTF.
I then lifted the amp up again and turned it side to side and also flipped it upside down same ...tinkle ..tinkle.
I took the top cover off and did the same process ....lol and behold Two screws dropped out of these amps.
I even called Bryston and talked to someone who was the upper tear in the company and his reply was that’s impossible that that would happen as they have strict control on All products ..BS.
So took them back to my alberta audio dealer and received another set of 28s...................
Two of the audio dealers where there when I said I wanted the 28s to be unboxed and had one of the guys to lift one of the 28s out of the box and turn it upside down and side to side ......Same thing,there were a couple of screws floating around in the amps.
They were sent back and received another set of 28s.
No tinkling ,no loose screws.
I guess my point is and I have basically all Bryston gear is even though they say build quality is Industrial stenghth or build Quality is Strictly controlled........
I don’t think so:
1- screws banging around inside the amps( ltage shorts anyone).
2-some of Bryston components the screws are so tight you need a heat gun to contract the metal to open up the component (HAD MY DEALER DO THAT OPERATION on the BDP-2
3-Why does at times the bdp2 freezes up,you have to power down and power up again at least a dozen times a year to get it to be at nominal operation.
I have a computer that’s years older than the bdp ........ NO PROBLEMS.......WTF is the problem.
Can only imagine tech companies relying on Pro built gear to be totally reliable especially computer components.
Amps have been fine since replacement but computer type components .......I Don’t get it with the glitches.
Personally I think a HPC has a lot more going on than a bdp at least technically so I don’t get why you have FKN reboot it that often.
That’s my rant for the evening and my overall assessment over the years with Bryston since 06 even though I still like all my Bryston amps components except for the crap I believe shouldn’t be happening.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2022, 03:13 am »
I purchased my very first Bryston gear (BP-17³, 4B³ and BCD-3) in october 2021, brought it home, unpacked it, hooked it up and found out the volume control on my BP-17³ was not working (brand new out of the box).Called the dealer, he came thinking, that I hooked it up wrong way.He brought store demo, so for 3 weeks I had to use theirs.Lately, the volume control on my new preamp is kind of loose too, but I usually use remote control.The other thing, that worries me more lately, the top of the preamp gets hot after 3-4 hours of playing.I don't play loud and my stand has a really good air flow.My 4B³ gets hardly warm.I'm thinking, something not right...

tcmo

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2022, 02:04 pm »
I did not post this as a complaint, just looking for information.  I have had the B135SST2 for 6 years.  I noticed the knob was slightly loose (maybe 5 degrees radial movement) before the shaft moved.  Not sure about the missing screw.  Maybe it is not needed.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2022, 03:50 pm »
I'm not complaing either, but when you take new gear out of the box and you hear loose screws inside your amp or the volume control is not working on your preamp, then you have right to say something!!!!!Before, I decided to purchase Bryston, I have read nothing, but good reviews, espacially about Quality Control, that is "bulletproof".Almost forgot, for the last 3-4 weeks, my 4B³ started humming, on and off.