Do you love your BSST2 amps enough to keep them forever?

servingko

Re: Do you love your BSST2 amps enough to keep them forever?
« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2016, 03:17 pm »
Forever is a long time but I will hold judgement until I can actually listen to a cubed amp.  Until then I, like Rob, have a 3BSST2 (a pair actually) driving a pair of Middle T's in my two channel system and couldn't be happier.  In my multi channel system I have a 9BSST and a 3BSST I purchased in 2002 or so.

Ilkatze

« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2016, 08:18 pm »
tdinut,

Brucek offers wise thoughts on the idea of an upgrade.  I stand with him in his view.  It turns out, however,  that I let go of my 4BSST2 around two days ago.

I would certainly have kept it forever.  It never failed me.  I loved it.  Everyone who listened to it did, too.

One reason I changed to a 4B3 model is because I found myself in a position to do so (pockets were temporarily a little more ching-a-ling-y), but the true reason for my change relates to what Rod_S mentions--looks.  Like Rod_S, I much prefer the 4BSST2 faceplate to that of the 4B3.  When I saw the 4B3, I remember thinking that there would have to be something substantial (e.g., noticeable to a non-audiophile/non-gear-centric person/etc.) to the performance of the 4B3 over the 4BSST2 for me to make a switch, as I found 4B3's faceplate mighty unattractive.

But then I saw the 4B3 Pro model.  Its clean, rack-mountable face was a fine sight to behold (to me, at least), and it turned my head away from the 4BSST2.  4B3 Pro’s face, along with the few extra pennies I had around, were sufficient to entice me into abandoning my 4BSST2.  Looks–not specifications–were my undoing.

I still can't believe it.  It'll be bread and water on my grocery list for a while, but with a face like 4B3 Pro's . . . . well, I just had to do it.

Falling for a pretty face is an old story.  I wasn’t strong enough to resist.

Your resistance to upgrade temptation may vary.

Ilkatze

http://bryston.com/products/power_amps/4B-3-PRO.html

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #22 on: 20 May 2016, 09:53 pm »
The real question is, does the 4B cubed smoke the squared version? Regardless of cosmetics.

Rod_S

« Reply #23 on: 20 May 2016, 10:06 pm »
The real question is, does the 4B cubed smoke the squared version? Regardless of cosmetics.

I'd wager good money it does not.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2016, 01:30 am »
I'd wager good money it does not.

Shhhh.  Don't deflate the Blimp. One Hindenburg is enough.  :lol:

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2016, 02:00 am »
Ha!  :lol:

Rod_S

« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2016, 01:14 pm »
Shhhh.  Don't deflate the Blimp. One Hindenburg is enough.  :lol:

:)

Ok I'll lessen the blow then. I'm sure under measurements examining the areas that the new cubed circuitry made their breakthrough in that the measurements would/will show improvement. Notice I'm not saying under listening sessions ;)

G E

« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2016, 03:22 am »
The question can be put thusly:

Is the cubed better than the T2, or is it better " in my system"?

It has taken time, much vexation and money to get my system sounding the way it does. It sounds absolutely awesome. The last two steps put me over the top: moving to the 28sst2 and the Grado Master Reference phono cart. The synergies between the components really make magic. A friend down the street made a somewhat wistful comment that he was envious of the sound I achieved for the money spent.  He recently dropped a bundle on Focus speakers and VAC amplification.

So, I am not tempted to change out anything. I don't want to upset the balance of my system

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2016, 11:42 am »
^. Same here. So many underestimate the importance of balance. Synergy is hard-earned and often ignored entirely for "newer is better".

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2016, 02:37 pm »
G E and Maestro,

All valid points and very sensible.

BrysTony

« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2016, 05:03 pm »
Yes - I see no reason to consider upgrading my 7BSST2s at this time.  My next upgrades will be to my turntable, BDP-1 and BDA-1.

Tony