Opinions on RCA vs XLR inputs on the new Bryston SST2 amps ....

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
I've always automatically opted to use the  XLR inputs on my system. Since I am thinking of using a preamp with only RCA inputs and outputs, has anyone tested both RCA and XLR inputs on the SST2 amps and found any significant difference in sound or am I just thinking too much. I hope to hear the new amps this weekend and can't wait.

Thanks!

SoundGame

I've always automatically opted to use the  XLR inputs on my system. Since I am thinking of using a preamp with only RCA inputs and outputs, has anyone tested both RCA and XLR inputs on the SST2 amps and found any significant difference in sound or am I just thinking too much. I hope to hear the new amps this weekend and can't wait.

Thanks!

I've tried to get a definitive answer on this and there isn't one.  I own and use a Bryston BP6 with my 4B-SST2.  As you may know, the BP6 preamp is a single-ended device with no balanced/XLR inputs nor outputs.  I have been using it to my delight but wanted to know if moving to a XLR/balanced preamp like the BP26 would provide any advantages.  In summary, from the responses I've recieved is that a XLR/balanced connection between and amp and preamp (at least in the case of Bryston components, as they have been designed for this) will only allow for the same of better performance than single-ended / RCA connections. 

The reason being is that the XLR/balanced connection reduces the noise floor (higher signal-to-noise ratio), reduced interference (radio, electro-magnetic etc.) and doubles the output voltage that the amplifier sees.  In the case of Bryston components, the XLR/balanced, given similar quality / brand of cable, will provide the same or better performance than a single-ended / RCA connection.  To what degree etc. depends on your situation i.e. how long your interconnect is (shorter = less advantage of balanced), how well shielded your interconnect is, that you're using balanced connections from source to output. 

That all said, when you introduce a non-Bryston component, you're dealing with a number of other variables - since not all balanced circuits are equals in design and not all are truly balanced.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
SoundGame,

Thanks for your detailed answer. I know in my head there is no right or definitive answer. I'm going to be 2M or less anyway and this will be something I need to try with my intended preamp. I hope to hear the 4BSST2 this weekend and will have some idea what i am in for if I want to go higher up the line Bryston. Thanks!

Joe

SoundGame

SoundGame,

Thanks for your detailed answer. I know in my head there is no right or definitive answer. I'm going to be 2M or less anyway and this will be something I need to try with my intended preamp. I hope to hear the 4BSST2 this weekend and will have some idea what i am in for if I want to go higher up the line Bryston. Thanks!

Joe

I use a 1 meter RCA interconnect myself - works well.  Shorter the better for those unbalanced cables.

robb

On the other hand, Nordost recommends using longer interconnects (1.5m) as sounding better than shorter ones

SoundGame

On the other hand, Nordost recommends using longer interconnects (1.5m) as sounding better than shorter ones

My understanding is Nordost's recommendation is for Nordost product.  I have heard from their national sales rep that for every cable of theirs there is an optimum length e.g. Red Dawn speaker cables are to be just over 4 meters to be optimum, according to their testing.  I don't believe you can extend their theories/testing to non-Nordost products.

tim92gts

i had to use long (8m) interconnects from preamp to the Brystons and with balanced have no
audible noise or interference. i do use a dedicated consumer unit and the room is beyond any WiFi range
so isolation is as good as i could acheive practically. Even the TT is through a 14" paper filled wall on a separate floor slab.
Can you demo before you commit to single ended?

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
i had to use long (8m) interconnects from preamp to the Brystons and with balanced have no
audible noise or interference. i do use a dedicated consumer unit and the room is beyond any WiFi range
so isolation is as good as i could acheive practically. Even the TT is through a 14" paper filled wall on a separate floor slab.
Can you demo before you commit to single ended?

Hi tim92gts,

If you are asking me, no I don't think so. At most, it will be about 2 meters, maybe 3 meters in length. I can't imagine there being a problem. Hopefully I can demo the 4BSST2 soon and hear them for myself.

Joe

SHV

I have used XLR and RCA cables at those and longer length without problems, however, the XLR cables are physically easier to work with at longer runs.  Another possibility is XLR cable terminated at one end with XLR-RCA adapter.  Such as:

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Adapters/XLR-to-RCA-Adapters/Neutrik-USA-Inc/NA2FPMF.xhtml?NA2FPMF

Steve

srb

I see that XLR cables are available on eBay.  Good to know.  Thank you SkimWords.

Steve

SHV

I see that XLR cables are available on eBay.  Good to know.  Thank you SkimWords.

Steve

Better off buying from a known source such as Bryston, Markertek, etc.  I have gotten several XLRs from Markertek, first rate, Neutrik connectors, Cannare or Mogami wire; cost about $25.

rmurray

I am using XLRs between my bcd1 and bp25 with a marked a marked increase in sound stage and dynamics. Red Dawn is from amp to amp. I will soon try balanced from preamp to amp to hopefully get the same improvements.. :dunno:

BrysTony

Better off buying from a known source such as Bryston, Markertek, etc.  I have gotten several XLRs from Markertek, first rate, Neutrik connectors, Cannare or Mogami wire; cost about $25.

+1

A very good source is BLUE JEANS CABLE, high quality and inexpensive.

Tony

srb

I was just being facetious.  I'm not aware of anything that can't be purchased on eBay.

Steve

SHV

+1

A very good source is BLUE JEANS CABLE, high quality and inexpensive.

Tony

Forgot them...I' m using two 50' HDMI cables from Blue Jeans....excellent quality and performance

Steve

tim92gts

If you are asking me, no I don't think so. At most, it will be about 2 meters, maybe 3 meters in length. I can't imagine there being a problem.

Hi Joe,
at 3m i wouldn't worry unless you have a very noisy (in RF) room or some strange kit.
Tim

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
Hi Joe,
at 3m i wouldn't worry unless you have a very noisy (in RF) room or some strange kit.
Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you. It should be fine.

I finally heard a 4BSST2  yesterday. WOW! I was very pleasantly surprised. This was not your fathers Bryston. Smooth, detailed, powerful. Just awesome! I was not familiar with the speakers, but I could tell instantly the amp was a winner. I heard it with a tube and SS preamp. Great job Bryston!!!

Joe

Joe Keifer

I have used XLR and RCA cables at those and longer length without problems, however, the XLR cables are physically easier to work with at longer runs.  Another possibility is XLR cable terminated at one end with XLR-RCA adapter.  Such as:

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Adapters/XLR-to-RCA-Adapters/Neutrik-USA-Inc/NA2FPMF.xhtml?NA2FPMF

Steve

I could be wrong, but the XLR-to-RCA converter probably makes the entire cable unbalanced.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Hi Tim,

Thank you. It should be fine.

I finally heard a 4BSST2  yesterday. WOW! I was very pleasantly surprised. This was not your fathers Bryston. Smooth, detailed, powerful. Just awesome! I was not familiar with the speakers, but I could tell instantly the amp was a winner. I heard it with a tube and SS preamp. Great job Bryston!!!

Joe
The 4B SST2 *IS* an awesome amplifier. Did you hear the latest version or one from before 02 - 2010?
If not, the serial numbers over 004719 have different capacitors and sound even better. And hooked up to a top class pre amplifier it will REALLY show its teeth...

As for RCA vs XLR... Try both and use the one you prefer.

I could be wrong, but the XLR-to-RCA converter probably makes the entire cable unbalanced.

You are correct.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
I use RCA to XLR, and in long length. 33ft. The BP6 can drive the long interconnects. It sounds great and no noise. Plus, I can have my preamp and source components right at the listening chair.