Spare Change ?? Tuning RM 40's with Quarters !

ka7niq

• Roof Cleaning Tampa FL
Spare Change ?? Tuning RM 40's with Quarters !
« on: 5 Sep 2006, 03:58 am »
I currently own 10 pairs of speakers, and had my RM 40's temporarily disconnected due to the repair and upgrade needs of my main amp and pre amp.
Today was Labor day, a day I set aside to bring out and tune the RM 40's.
I bought these TRT RM 40's used locally, and the guy who sold them to me said that to the best of his knowledge, all the putty was there.

To make a longer story shorter, I threw them back in, and they did not sound as good as I remembered.
So, I want for the putty, and all that was on there was a pea sized amount, same on other speaker.

I went looking for the remaining putty, and It was gone!
I must have lost it ?
Then, I went to go for my car to drive and get some at Wal Mart, and remembered I let my Cousin take my car for the day!
So, there I was, stranded, and w/o putty!
What is a poor audiophile to do ?

So, just for kicks, I just listened to one speaker, and I turned the ribbons all the way off.
I removed the last remaining tiny bit of putty, and listened to the bass.
It was dreadful ...

So, I went into my pocket, and tried a penny stuck to the putty, applied to the passive radiator.
The bass got a tad better, so, I next tried a quarter, and bingo, Bass!

Actually, the bass sounded so much better, i immediately did the exact same thing to the other RM 40.
I then placed the midrange pot at 12 o;clock, and the tweeter at 12.30/

I sat to listen w/o my dual subs, and it sounded ok.
Not great, but certainly better.

Then I noticed something I learned ONLY by listening to the top Woofers w/o any support from the ribbons.
I could clearly hear the top woofers 'sound' with the midrange levels at 12 o'clock!
AND, worse yet, I could actually hear some vocalists "JUMP" over and up to the top woofers!

I must tell you this up front, I CRAVE a warm, romantic sound with a rich lower midrange.
My big Von Schweikert Vortex Screens,  the Matrix 801's, and my VR 4JR's have this sound, and I like it.

So, I have been TRYING to get this warmth in the RM 40's by turning the levels down, and it ain't working here in my room.

In my limited experience thus far, the RM 40 likes to have it;s midrange levels not much below 1 o'clock, or one will pay the price of images jumping out of top woofers, and hear the colorations of the top woofer.

This is NOT to slam the RM 40, because I love them.
But RM 40 seems to need to have it's midrange ribbons near the factory setting for image stability, and to cover up the slight colorations of the Top woofer.

It must be said that the midrange ribbons are SO good, that ANY cone driver will sound colored in comparison.

The MORE I listen to the RM 40's, the more convinced I become that these speakers NEED an electronic crossover with 24 db slopes, to "shut up" the top woofers, before they have a chance to 'spoil the party'.

I truly feel that Brian, and anyone else fortunate enough to own the electronic crossover option, has a sound that is beyond any reproach.

I think this is the direction I shall head in.

My passives are not optimum with Quarters stuck to putty, but it is "working" for now.

I realize I NEVER had the right amount of putty, but just for kicks, i pulled out my piggy bank, to try different Quarters!

I have found  a pair of NOS 1984 quarters,  free of any 'metallic" coloration.

I currently have them sandwiched between two blocks of dry ice to "cryo" them overnight. LOL

Looks like I am headed to electronic crossover land, and to the hardware store tomorrow for the RIGHT amount of Putty this time.

To save any future purchaser of Used RM 40's untold hours of grief, be absolutely SURE that you have the right amount of putty to start with !!!!

God, I sure wish there was a weight spec published ...