Faster Breakin Procedure

John Casler

Faster Breakin Procedure
« on: 30 Jun 2005, 01:36 am »
As mentioned earlier B, now "pre-tunes" all speakers before they leave the factory.

He also does a "frequency sweep" break-in which he suggests gives the woofer a real good workout.

However, I have found that while the last pair of Ribbons I got certainly had already "lost" that new driver edginess they used to arrive with, that I still think the ribbons/planars might benefit from a bit more.

So here's a tip.

First check the "exact" setting of each pot and make note of it so you can reposition it when done.

Next turn the pots to "full on" postition, which is fully clockwise.

Then play lots of Loud music.  Try to hit levels well above what you would normally listen too.

This "seats" the drivers and allows them to develop their "maximum" excursions or movement limits.

I would try to get several of these sessions in.  They need not be long, maybe 20 minutes or so of muti-frequency, dynamic and high impact sounds.  I would think in the neighborhood of 100db plus.

Then, dial the L-pads back down to their right position and enjoy.

And as a side note, every month, you should gently turn each L-Pad all the way to the left and right 8-10 times and then re-set to the correct setting.

This will "wipe" the contacts clean and give a continued nice connection.

Be very careful when doing this, as the shaft is split to allow a screwdriver to be inserted and if turned to hard or fast damage may result :nono:

Jim Romeyn has sugggested spraying the pads with Caig Pro-Gold contact cleaner and I have found this can have a similar effect to "SilClearing" all of your compression connections, which is also reccomended.

This requires bending back one of the tabs so the spray goes into the pad housing and will not help if done on the outside (but then you knew that) :|