What Works in Tweaks?

saisunil

What Works in Tweaks?
« on: 16 Dec 2012, 11:21 pm »
Dave - if I may suggest that we "only" focus on what works - based on our experiences - it would be a lot more beneficial ...

I do not know how you want to format this topic ...

Here are a couple of examples that have worked for me:

1. Isolating the loudspeakers from the floor
2. Room treatment
3. Tube rolling

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: What Works in Tweaks?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2012, 06:14 pm »
Power conditioners. All sorts do different stuff. If you like the old warm sound, forget power conditioners. If you like clarity, power conditioners are a must.

Speakers: For my Magnepan 3.6 wanting a trace better bass i added a wing t othe bass side of the edge. An additional 6" wing.
Stiffening the feet... even just adding a bit of material under the ends of the foot to stiffen it increases the bass a little.

Power cords: I use pangea. Cheap, and work. All around they improve the sound a little. The ywere the first cord i found I could really hear a difference. One added benefit is they are fully shielded, so i can bundle them and no problems. (only the plugs radiate energy  per non contact voltage detector)

Covering and grounding the shield of power umbilicals (for preamps with separate power supplies) I wrapped the umbilical with black antistatic foam and using thin wire grounded it to the 120volt ground: it removes a bunch of loose RFI which can be detected using a "Non Contact Voltage Detector"

feet. I add in cheap large butyl rubber chemical bottle stoppers size ten.

Stuffing digital gear with black antistatic foam which is then grounded to the chassis. This was a tweak for years ago in a comment in Stereophile. No one else seems to care about it. But it works.
Just take care to have some paper insulation between the top of the electronics and the foam!
I have done it to any and all my digital gear.

Caig pro gold on all contacts. Here little is good more is very bad.  put a trace on ,wipe it off. the stuff is best if only a few molecules thick.

RCA covers. help a tiny bit. Worth it on TV panels too, cover unused RCA connectors wit ha metal cap

Pigtails off the negative terminal of amp. A variety of ways, the main idea is a single wire just stuck on the negative terminal hanging there. a few inches long. Many variations, some for sale, but all it needs is a plain old wire hanging there.

Small crystals  around A/C voltages. The small crystals (in baggies) need to be treated with some sort of non conductive stuff. i used silicone grease This effect can be seen with the same non cantact voltage  detector. A small 2" x 1" baaggie with 1/4 inch thick layer of crystals cuts the RFI emmisions of whatever it is placed on or under. Loose non treated crystals do NOT have the same effect.

Wrapping the blades of A/C plugs with teflon. Wrap each blade with plumbing teflon, press it down so it only blocks the edge near the plug body. I have wrapped every plug in my apt, stereo or not. It save a bit of energy. Measuring with a meter. items whose cord was wrapped use a little less energy than unwrapped. Seems crazy sorry, it was what i found.

Most for sale uber-priced tweaks are based on simple things one can do. So instead of blowing money on stuff you can make it at home.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2012, 05:54 pm »
Power conditioners. All sorts do different stuff. If you like the old warm sound, forget power conditioners. If you like clarity, power conditioners are a must.

Speakers: For my Magnepan 3.6 wanting a trace better bass i added a wing t othe bass side of the edge. An additional 6" wing.
Stiffening the feet... even just adding a bit of material under the ends of the foot to stiffen it increases the bass a little.

Power cords: I use pangea. Cheap, and work. All around they improve the sound a little. The ywere the first cord i found I could really hear a difference. One added benefit is they are fully shielded, so i can bundle them and no problems. (only the plugs radiate energy  per non contact voltage detector)

Covering and grounding the shield of power umbilicals (for preamps with separate power supplies) I wrapped the umbilical with black antistatic foam and using thin wire grounded it to the 120volt ground: it removes a bunch of loose RFI which can be detected using a "Non Contact Voltage Detector"

feet. I add in cheap large butyl rubber chemical bottle stoppers size ten.

Stuffing digital gear with black antistatic foam which is then grounded to the chassis. This was a tweak for years ago in a comment in Stereophile. No one else seems to care about it. But it works.
Just take care to have some paper insulation between the top of the electronics and the foam!
I have done it to any and all my digital gear.

Caig pro gold on all contacts. Here little is good more is very bad.  put a trace on ,wipe it off. the stuff is best if only a few molecules thick.

RCA covers. help a tiny bit. Worth it on TV panels too, cover unused RCA connectors wit ha metal cap

Pigtails off the negative terminal of amp. A variety of ways, the main idea is a single wire just stuck on the negative terminal hanging there. a few inches long. Many variations, some for sale, but all it needs is a plain old wire hanging there.

Small crystals  around A/C voltages. The small crystals (in baggies) need to be treated with some sort of non conductive stuff. i used silicone grease This effect can be seen with the same non cantact voltage  detector. A small 2" x 1" baaggie with 1/4 inch thick layer of crystals cuts the RFI emmisions of whatever it is placed on or under. Loose non treated crystals do NOT have the same effect.

Wrapping the blades of A/C plugs with teflon. Wrap each blade with plumbing teflon, press it down so it only blocks the edge near the plug body. I have wrapped every plug in my apt, stereo or not. It save a bit of energy. Measuring with a meter. items whose cord was wrapped use a little less energy than unwrapped. Seems crazy sorry, it was what i found.

Most for sale uber-priced tweaks are based on simple things one can do. So instead of blowing money on stuff you can make it at home.
I started using the anti-static foam that semiconductors used to be shipped on years ago.  Soaks up RFI.  Great tweak on my old Rotel 990CD player.

Lots of common sense stuff here if one stops to think about it.

You really, REALLY do need to try a BUSS, though  :D

Dave

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2012, 08:39 pm »
  Agree power conditioning either in the component or after market. Usually both in my experience. Power cords have an affect even on the Uber as an example. The Triode Wire Labs cords have a different affect than the Mongo. TWL offers a warmer character than the Mongo indirect A to B to A comparisons. More evident in source such as CDP or phono.  Both excellent just different in character. For Bryston TWL for CJ mongo.
   Crystals you say. I say yeah not nay. Love my Alan Maher little Infinity boxes. Use one at wire bundle of panel and one inside the utility box that house the receptacles.
     Using compressed wool to support circuit boards, caps [ VG ], transformers and even components. Ebony especially 3/8" th for supporting trannies highly reccommended.
      Howveer the material with the fasted dissipation I know of is "Ultum" a plastic material which is really expensive stuff. We tried it under our Pon-Tune footers and were quite taken back. Just opened the window. With see through clarity. Try if you dare.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2012, 08:43 pm »
Elizabeth agree on the wires off the amp. Have you tried using a longer run say 6 ft on both neg. and pos. ?? check it out . WE had the Mapleshade demonstrated for us. Very affective result. You do not Mapleshade wire however ribbon made a bigger difference on my homemade babies.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2012, 02:35 pm »
Using a 75 ohm shorting plug on the digital out of your CDP if not using a DAC.

charles

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2012, 08:21 pm »
I started using the anti-static foam that semiconductors used to be shipped on years ago.  Soaks up RFI.  Great tweak on my old Rotel 990CD player.

Lots of common sense stuff here if one stops to think about it.

You really, REALLY do need to try a BUSS, though  :D

Dave
The foam idea seems reasonable, and I'm tempted to look into it, but I have the Oppo 95 which has a fan to circulate air to keep from overheating.

Wouldn't this reduce or even completely cut off air circulation and cause heat issues?  :scratch:

Elizabeth

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2012, 09:47 pm »
Elizabeth agree on the wires off the amp. Have you tried using a longer run say 6 ft on both neg. and pos. ?? check it out . WE had the Mapleshade demonstrated for us. Very affective result. You do not Mapleshade wire however ribbon made a bigger difference on my homemade babies. charles

I made some devices using ferrous material, with a lot of silver wire Sort of look like mushrooms..
I tried on both but like just on amp neg, and speaker neg posts
I also have one on the ground outer ring of my headphone amp (used a ring terminal to fit around outside of chassis jack)
I did not like anything on RCA neg areas.. tried there but nope.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2012, 04:48 pm »
The foam idea seems reasonable, and I'm tempted to look into it, but I have the Oppo 95 which has a fan to circulate air to keep from overheating.

Wouldn't this reduce or even completely cut off air circulation and cause heat issues?  :scratch:
John, you use the foam that is about .25" thick and very sparingly.  I usually glue it to the top cover of the gear, or glue it to a piece on manila folder material and space it aboue the area that is the suspected offender.  Digital sections in DACs or receivers is a good place or above a clock x'tal.  Anything with a switcher as a power supply gets a liberal dose, but you HAVE to allow for circulation or you'll have a paperweight.

Dave

Elizabeth

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2012, 05:48 pm »

If the unit needs a fan, then i would not use the foam.
I have my DAC fully stuffed. It never got very warm, and is sealed.
The point its to smother the emissions from digital IC chips.. So perhaps carful placement over only those chips would be useful. (be sure to ground the foam to the chassis with a fine gauge wire (the foam does retransmit RFI if it gets saturated and is not grounded to the chassis..)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2012, 11:13 pm »
John, you use the foam that is about .25" thick and very sparingly.  I usually glue it to the top cover of the gear, or glue it to a piece on manila folder material and space it aboue the area that is the suspected offender.  Digital sections in DACs or receivers is a good place or above a clock x'tal.  Anything with a switcher as a power supply gets a liberal dose, but you HAVE to allow for circulation or you'll have a paperweight.

Dave
Hmmmmm...... sounds like I'd have to be very judicious and run the risk of overheating. I've had the cover of my Oppo 95 off on a couple of occasions - I remember it being very cramped for space, but I was only trying to get a stuck CD out and payed attention to the drive and not the rest of the layout.

Might be worth it to take another look in the future. :idea:   :dunno:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2012, 11:17 pm »
If the unit needs a fan, then i would not use the foam.
I have my DAC fully stuffed. It never got very warm, and is sealed.
The point its to smother the emissions from digital IC chips.. So perhaps carful placement over only those chips would be useful. (be sure to ground the foam to the chassis with a fine gauge wire (the foam does retransmit RFI if it gets saturated and is not grounded to the chassis..)
How do you go about attatching the ground wire to the foam? Can it just be "poked into" the foam? Seems like glue might cause a reaction with the foam.... :scratch:

WireNut

« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec 2012, 03:30 am »

These work good for me on unused preamp inputs.
(Don't use on any unused outputs).

WireNut

« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2012, 03:36 am »

VISHAY-RODERSTEIN 0.01UF MKP-1837 Metalized Polypropylene Film Capacitor.
Add in parrallel to a series cap that is just before a tweeter in a passive crossover.
A $1.00 tweek that works for me. Thanks, Tony.

WireNut

« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2012, 03:42 am »

Cable Asylums DIY Power Cord designed by Bob Crump.

http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/bobcrump_pc/page01.htm

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2012, 04:29 pm »
These work good for me on unused preamp inputs.
(Don't use on any unused outputs).

Curious to know why a 470 resistor in lieu of just wire ?

charles

werd

« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2012, 07:15 pm »
Hi

Adjusting the mechanical screws on your speakers and pretty much anything else will affect the perceivable tension in the soundstage....

Geez where did i get that from....  :lol:

Its a good one.

Also taking the feet off and mass loading the bottom of digital gear onto a platform is a tweak (basically laying it down flat). The platform should be coupled to a stand though. It powers the fillers better. It will work but the affects maybe unwanted but its a tweak. I mass load my bdp.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2012, 07:16 pm »
While I have no idea what problem this is supposed to prevent, in other situations the resistor 470 Ohms (more or less) is installed in the RCA connector because the circuit may be unhappy with a dead short.

Bill Whitlock uses a 1 K Ohm resistor on the input and on the output of one of his test circuits.
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/ts_guide.pdf

WireNut

« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2012, 07:21 pm »
Curious to know why a 470 resistor in lieu of just wire ?

Don't no but here is the original tweek by TakeFiveAudio.

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopcontent.asp?type=RCA_Input_shorting_plugs

Folsom

« Reply #19 on: 28 Dec 2012, 07:41 pm »
I utterly disagree with the power conditioning making things less warm sounding. That would be an example of power restricting. Good power conditioning greatly improves tone and articulate. It will make digital much closer to vinyl.

I like DIY grounding devices for hanging off the negative terminal of the speaker. You can buy the fancy ones for $$$, but DIY ones work too.