Speaker selection advise

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Speaker selection advise
« Reply #20 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:22 am »
Here is what I had in mind.
Speakers aren't finished yet but you get the idea.
I check the price of butcher block at IKEA - 72"X23"X1.5"  list price($159). That should be enough to make one pair.

Mariusz :thumb:

Butcher Block speakers..... 8)

Mariusz....Can you cut meat on it ? :jester:

I look forward to hearing them....nice idea. :beer:

Mariusz

« Reply #21 on: 14 Oct 2009, 09:44 pm »
Here is what I had in mind.
Speakers aren't finished yet but you get the idea.
I check the price of butcher block at IKEA - 72"X23"X1.5"  list price($159). That should be enough to make one pair.

Butcher Block speakers..... 8)

Mariusz....Can you cut meat on it ? :jester:

I look forward to hearing them....nice idea. :beer:

Yes you can - solid like a rock.
I moved them upstairs from the basement to take some pictures and f....up  my back.
2 Aleves extra strength later and still can not pick up my socks of the floor. :cry:
On the bright side - we will have chicken cutlets for dinner tonight.

It does works quite nicely but it wasn't intentional.... I had some butcher block countertop laying around so I decided to use it for my daughter's speakers. Still need to finish them to match her room. Pink or green!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

srb

« Reply #22 on: 14 Oct 2009, 09:58 pm »
You wouldn't want to lay them on their sides just to cut up some meat.  But the tops, although small, would be just fine for mincing herbs or cutting lemons or limes.

Be sure to only finish them with a non-toxic mineral oil.

Steve

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #23 on: 16 Oct 2009, 02:32 am »
I moved them upstairs from the basement to take some pictures and f....up  my back.
2 Aleves extra strength later and still can not pick up my socks of the floor. :cry:

mariusz, you need one of these:

http://www.teeter-inversion.com/

i had chronic back pain for ten years, after rupturing a disc in my lower back; two weeks after i got one of these, my back pain was completely gone.  and, it's been gone for 10 years...   :thumb:

doug s.

Mariusz

« Reply #24 on: 16 Oct 2009, 02:46 am »
You wouldn't want to lay them on their sides just to cut up some meat.  But the tops, although small, would be just fine for mincing herbs or cutting lemons or limes.

Be sure to only finish them with a non-toxic mineral oil.

Steve

Nahhh, I will most likely finish them in white maple to match the custom furniture we build for her room. MiniWatt integrated will power these "Top Chef" SD speakers. Front end is going to be her laptop with the USB DAC (not sure which one yet). She also likes the idea and cool look of my DIY turntable which but away is made from Bamboo butcher block. :lol:

And no, I do not own any restaurant. :icon_lol:

Mariusz

« Reply #25 on: 16 Oct 2009, 02:50 am »

mariusz, you need one of these:

http://www.teeter-inversion.com/

i had chronic back pain for ten years, after rupturing a disc in my lower back; two weeks after i got one of these, my back pain was completely gone.  and, it's been gone for 10 years...   :thumb:

doug s.

My cuz got one of these..... :scratch:
I'll ask him if I could borrow it for few weeks.
Just wonder how to get off this thing without breaking my neck.
Any suggestion or device in case that happens?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 16 Oct 2009, 02:55 am »

it is really extremely easy to get on & off of one; it's adjustable for your height, and you are upright when you get on; raising your arms over your head makes it flip back; bringing them forward flips you back upright.  when you are completely inwerted, as in the pic, a small pull on the u-shaped grips where the table connects to the stand, has you back upright...

doug s.

Mariusz

« Reply #27 on: 16 Oct 2009, 03:01 am »

it is really extremely easy to get on & off of one; it's adjustable for your height, and you are upright when you get on; raising your arms over your head makes it flip back; bringing them forward flips you back upright.  when you are completely inwerted, as in the pic, a small pull on the u-shaped grips where the table connects to the stand, has you back upright...

doug s.

THX doug s

Also, just noticed instructions hanging on the right side in case of emergency.
I am sure there must be 1800 number in there somewhere. Hopefully the rep. isn't from Dubai.  :lol:

Cheers

t-head

• 'I am sure that I am sure of nothing'
« Reply #28 on: 18 Oct 2009, 08:31 pm »
  I think the HSU HB-1 monitors, with its 92 db sensitivity would be a better match, and it costs less than $300 per pair for the satin finish.

Hey ltr317,

I have been looking at these, since they are on sale, and efficient. So, how do they sound? Thanks.

t

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #29 on: 18 Oct 2009, 09:03 pm »
can you do floor standers?  right here on the circle (better hurry; i suspect these won't be around long...):

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72680.msg682458;topicseen#new

doug s.

t-head

« Reply #30 on: 18 Oct 2009, 09:24 pm »
Thanks, Doug...

already got a pair...need smaller speakers...

t

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #31 on: 18 Oct 2009, 11:43 pm »
Thanks, Doug...

t
ya, but they may work for chgolatin2, who was the person asking for adwice...   :wink:

doug s.

Mariusz

« Reply #32 on: 19 Oct 2009, 12:05 am »
Thanks, Doug...

t
ya, but they may work for chgolatin2, who was the person asking for adwice...   :wink:

doug s.

Yep, these might be perfect  for chgolatin2.
No saw dust, tweaking - ready to go, very efficient and priced right.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #33 on: 19 Oct 2009, 01:18 am »
Great price!

ltr317

« Reply #34 on: 19 Oct 2009, 04:40 am »
  I think the HSU HB-1 monitors, with its 92 db sensitivity would be a better match, and it costs less than $300 per pair for the satin finish.

Hey ltr317,

I have been looking at these, since they are on sale, and efficient. So, how do they sound? Thanks.

t

Hi t,

I think they are fine small speakers when used in a second/third system, or in a budget main system.  I've been using them in my bedroom system for about 2 years and find them musical, whether I pair them with solid state or tube amps.  The HB-1s has a smooth presentation which renders bad recordings listenable.  Tonally, it's fairly balanced from mid-treble to upper bass.  The upper treble is a little rolled off and the mid-bass is light and there's no low bass.  A subwoofer is needed if you want a fuller sound.  Compared with my more expensive ACI  Emeralds, it has about the same amount of bass but is a little leaner sounding.  It also sounds a little more forward than the Emeralds.  Compared to my much more expensive AAD 2001s, it lacks the refinement of detail and full tonality of those speakers.  But hey, they sound very good for their price. 

Paul

t-head

« Reply #35 on: 19 Oct 2009, 06:59 pm »
ltr317,

Thanks. You are the first person to post that has owned/heard the Hsus. They sell a MkII...supposedly tweaked the crossover. Most of the reviews are from AV 5.1-7.1 surround sound types. I need small, cheap, decent and efficient monitor types...might give them a try...I have a 'bass augmentor' (Cube) from Eds' Hornshoppe for LF...Also looking at the AE P4...smaller, unamped newcomer from AudioEngine. I have a miniwatt with cap mod and a tweaked KingRex Tripath. Any suggestions from others welcome...hopefully from owners, not from specs  :wink:

BTW, Ed's horns at $400 are a steal...

Mariuz...excellent work...keep it up! Cheap and Cheerful...great concept and much needed.

Doug, oops...

t

chgolatin2

« Reply #36 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:41 pm »
Doug, what are the specs on the horns?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #37 on: 21 Oct 2009, 01:26 am »
Doug, what are the specs on the horns?
dunno, but you can find info here:

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/reviews.html

i have never heard them, but folks say that if placed in corners, they do full range well, w/o need for a subwoofer; pulled out into a room, they need subs.  but, i use subs in my main rig, even w/full-range speakers, so ymmv...   :wink:

doug s.

ltr317

« Reply #38 on: 21 Oct 2009, 01:35 am »
t,

You're welcome.  I heard the new AE P4 briefly at RMAF, driven by their new digital amp.  Wasn't familiar with the song, but the sound was pleasant.  The AE guys are enthusiastic and fun.  We talked about them sending me some of their products as loaners to demo at some of the local NY club meetings.  I also had a nice long talk with Sasha Obad and his partner, Canadian importers of Kingrex gear.  In fact, we closed the bar the last night of the show.  They also want to send me some loaner stuff.  Nice value equipment, as I already have heard the Kingrex Preference preamp and T20 Tripath amp at a club meeting.  Imo, the T20 is a better amp than the Trends.   

Paul

t-head

« Reply #39 on: 21 Oct 2009, 01:58 pm »
ltr317,

Thanks again. I have a bit of experience with both the trends 2024 chip and the kingrex 2020. I prefer the 2020 myself. I have modded both the stock units and listened to both as well as the new 'tsunami' (Pop-pulse 2024 amp). We used them as background music in the audiomagus shop and tested each unit after modding. They all qualify as 'cheap and cheerful', though there are fans and detractors of the Tripath chip sound...Ken of ALO suggested the AE P4 for use with the Miniwatt as he felt the JohnBlue JB3 did not mate well with the 2 watt Miniwatt. The JB3 do, however, (IMO) sound well with the KingRex...We used the T20 and JB3 as the daily music in the shop...So now seeking minimonitor for use with the Miniwatt. Eds' horns sound good, but I need a smaller, more portable speaker...high sensitivity and size seem incompatible...

t