Off Ramp 4 questions

rickd

Off Ramp 4 questions
« on: 18 Jul 2011, 02:41 am »
Hi I am considering an offramp based on reviews versus maybe a JKENY mded hiface. I currently have a Naim CDSII CD player and a Theta Casablancca III with Extreme Dac's. I want to move to Computer Audio and leverage the DAC's in my Theta for music playback. I also listen to movies etc and surround music. Question is will the offramp pass DTS and DD signals as well as pcm so the Cassablanca can play  back standard DVD's etc? I realise that hidef pcm is only available on hdmi so that will be doable as it is not available on this type of interface to my knowledge.

My goal is to retire the CDS II to my other naim music system in a different room or sell it. I guess it will come down to how the DAC's between the CD and Theta with OFFRAMP compare but ultimately I want to use one source which is my HTPC. I currently use it for movies and casual music but want to make it more audiophile capable.

All my music and movies are on a Raid server running UNRAID with 8 TB of disk. I have ripped to AIFF with EAC and accurate rip.

My HTPC is new and fairly fast and silent and will look to run JRiver or the like for music playback. I currently use Mediaportal for Movies and tv.

Thanks Rick

audioengr

Re: Off Ramp 4 questions
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2011, 05:49 pm »
The Off-Ramp 4 is the high-performance choice.  Unfortunately, it will not pass Dolby Digital.

Even my older Off-Ramp 3 did not pass DD.  Only my really old modified Transit was capable of this and the SQ was not great.

Steve N.

rickd

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2011, 02:18 am »
Shame I thought it would just pass the digital signal on....reclocked...

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2011, 05:49 pm »
Shame I thought it would just pass the digital signal on....reclocked...

I learned something today.  Evidently the I2S output on the Off-Ramp 4 may pass dolby digital.  The S/PDIFand AES/EBU outputs will not.

Steve N.