Memory Player

bigamp

Memory Player
« on: 25 Apr 2007, 08:34 pm »
This is merely an opinion:  After a quick review of the Nova Physics web site, it looks like their Memory Player merely 1) rips a bit-perfect copy to hard disk (which anyone can do with EAC or JRiver), 2) loads the music file into PC memory before playing it (which anyone can do with EAC or JRiver and a RAMdisk) and 3) makes sure the music data is contiguous in memory (which takes some simple processing).  Not sure where the rocket science is that's suggested by their web site.  If contiguous music data in memory reduces jitter and provides better sound, that's great--I'd be suprised if this capability doesn't show up as a freeware plug-in in the near future for existing music programs.  But they're charging $10K for a PC transport?  I guess a lot companies are passing off prices like this, but they're not all couching their prices in terms of rocket science.

Any techies out there writing plug-ins/scripts that write and maintain a music file into contiguous memory locations?

audioengr

Re: Memory Player
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2007, 03:14 am »
This is merely an opinion:  After a quick review of the Nova Physics web site, it looks like their Memory Player merely 1) rips a bit-perfect copy to hard disk (which anyone can do with EAC or JRiver), 2) loads the music file into PC memory before playing it (which anyone can do with EAC or JRiver and a RAMdisk) and 3) makes sure the music data is contiguous in memory (which takes some simple processing).  Not sure where the rocket science is that's suggested by their web site.  If contiguous music data in memory reduces jitter and provides better sound, that's great--I'd be suprised if this capability doesn't show up as a freeware plug-in in the near future for existing music programs.  But they're charging $10K for a PC transport?  I guess a lot companies are passing off prices like this, but they're not all couching their prices in terms of rocket science.

Any techies out there writing plug-ins/scripts that write and maintain a music file into contiguous memory locations?

I saw one at CES in January. Very impressive hardware.  The sound was not impressive unfortunately.  Advertising and claims are mysterious IMO.

Steve N.