StevenZ's Adventures with Omega Super Alnico Monitors

StevenZ

Well, just placed an order for some SAMs with Louis.  I have been trying to purchase a pair since about this time last year but due to my wife being pregnant with twins I just couldn't make it happen as we needed to be prepared for the massive hospital bills.  I've long been a fan of single driver speakers since the earliest days of my entry into this hobby.  I started off with some small 3" tang band "fullrange" drivers from Parts Express in quick mock up cabinets I built when I worked at a cabinet shop and was just shocked at what I was hearing.  Imaging, for the first time I heard in my life speakers that could cast an image of separation and depth.  It was all so new to me and I went down a path of audio exploration in DIY for a couple years  until I came upon Omega.

At that time Louis was selling his DIY drivers and I bought a pair of his 7" alnico models to play with.  Louis helped me design a box for them and I enjoyed them quite a bit.  During that time I was building a pair of speakers every other month or so and let the Omegas go to fund another project.  Boy that was a mistake.   I've never been able to achieve the warmth and tonal accuracy from the Omegas in any speaker I've built since then.  That was almost 7 ago and I've bought multiple retail speakers (multi-way), built countless single driver speakers based on other drivers as well as built a couple handfuls of 2-way monitors with world renowned drivers such as ScanSpeak Revelators, ScanSpeak Illuminators (including BE tweeter), SB Acoustics and SB Acoustics Satori (including BE tweeter), Seas, Hiquphon, etc.  Clearly I've spent thousands searching for the sound I had with the Omegas, all to be let down in one way or another.  Now I know you might be asking, well, if you spent thousands on other speakers, why didn't you just buy another pair of Omegas?  Well, simply put, I was convinced by the audio industry that I needed to spend that kind of money to achieve better.  Better resolution, better insight, better emotional connection, better frequency extension, blah blah blah.  It wasn't true.  Sure, some of the designs did some really cool tricks and let me hear details like what color pants someone was wearing (haha).  BUT, none of them gave me that deep musical connection to music like Omegas and none of them even held a candle to the true tone of instruments like the Omegas.

I requested that Louis surprise me with whatever veneer he chooses as I have no finish preference.  I've liked all of the exotics people have posted here so I'm confident Louis will pick something unique.  I'll also be using these speaker in my small office with my Schiit Bifrost Multibit Gen5 and my prized Elsdon Wonfor Audio (EWA) Claymore Retro integrated amplifier.  I'm a little nervous about my Claymore amp driving these speakers though but the general consensus is that most of you guys seem to enjoy good SS with these speaekrs and the speakers aren't particularly picky about amplification.  So fingers crossed here as I'd like to hold onto this amp; it's a real gem.

So here I am, full circle after a nearly 7yr hiatus.  I'm tired and I'm throwing in the DIY towel.  I'm ready enjoy music again.

Cheers,
-Z

seikosha

Re: StevenZ's Adventures with Omega Super Alnico Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2019, 04:05 pm »
Congrats...I've been through many speakers just like you have including probably a dozen different single driver varieties and there's something about the Omegas that really work with the way I like to hear music.  I've got the Alnico, RS5 and the newest 8 drivers on the way and am very anxious to hear how the 8's compare to the other Omega drivers.

The SAM's are great speakers and just shine with tonality.  Let us know how you like them when they arrive.  It'll be fun to see what finish Louis picks for you.

StevenZ

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2019, 04:08 pm »
Congrats...I've been through many speakers just like you have including probably a dozen different single driver varieties and there's something about the Omegas that really work with the way I like to hear music.  I've got the Alnico, RS5 and the newest 8 drivers on the way and am very anxious to hear how the 8's compare to the other Omega drivers.

The SAM's are great speakers and just shine with tonality.  Let us know how you like them when they arrive.  It'll be fun to see what finish Louis picks for you.

Thanks!  I don't see any 8" driver on Louis's website.  Anywhere I can find more info?  Would be neat to see an 8" Alnico SAM too.

seikosha

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2019, 04:36 pm »
If you look on his website under the Tower Speakers section, you'll see the Junior 8XRS and a Super 8XRS speakers.  No Alnico version though.

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/tower-speakers/products/junior-8xrs?variant=38555244684

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/tower-speakers/products/super-8xrs?variant=38555364748

gab

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2019, 04:44 pm »

At that time Louis was selling his DIY drivers and I bought a pair of his 7" alnico models to play with.  Louis helped me design a box for them and I enjoyed them quite a bit.  During that time I was building a pair of speakers every other month or so and let the Omegas go to fund another project.  Boy that was a mistake.   

Cheers,
-Z

Steven - FYI - your original Omega Alnico drivers are currently in the hands of FullRangeMan in Brazil. I am still waiting to hear what he has done with them.  :D

gab

StevenZ

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2019, 04:44 pm »
Interesting. That whizzer profile reminds me of his old Hoyt-Bedford stuff.

StevenZ

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2019, 04:47 pm »
Steven - FYI - your original Omega Alnico drivers are currently in the hands of FullRangeMan in Brazil. I am still waiting to hear what he has done with them.  :D

gab

Ah yes, I remember you telling me that a while back.  Gosh time flies.  Paging FullRangeMan! Inquiring minds need to know.

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2019, 05:11 am »
Interesting. That whizzer profile reminds me of his old Hoyt-Bedford stuff.

Here's a year 2007 Hoyt-Bedford Special 8 cone (not alnico). I have a pair of towers.

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2019, 02:25 pm »

Please report back about the 8's. There aren't many people, that I'm aware of, who have experience with the Alnico, RS5, AND the RS8.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2019, 03:59 am »
Dear boys,
My 7A drivers are yet stored here in safe under my look, I opened the package when they arrive to inspection and never opened the box again.

I dont know what to do with these drivers, I dont liked the recommended small pocket 60L BassReflex box, so msging w/CanadaRob about Metronome or FrugalHorn we came to choice the FH as its a Dipole and will delivery more volume in the bass.

So I had get the FH plans and to my surprised I have no found a carpenter who wants to make the FH enclosure, the guys do not even know what PDF is and are unable to handle a computer. Also there is a audio buddy that want to buy me these drivers for a hi price to be used as a midrange/tweeter in an OB similar to this image below, being the woofer a 15'' 100dB pro-audio.

Glad to hear from you Steve, I unaware my drivers was previously yours, that is really a small world in the FR fans indeed.