rbbert

Re: Keith Jarrett Still Hates His Fans
« Reply #60 on: 20 Jul 2013, 09:44 pm »
 :scratch:

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #61 on: 20 Jul 2013, 10:04 pm »
Rob, if you want to perform Live in front of an audience, be ready to accept that audience with all the good and the bad. ...So simple.

- The artist/performer is making a living, the audience is contributing to his living.

Till there is a law stopping you of using your camera, from your cell, or whatever, and pro cameramen at live music venues, texting, messaging, and all, you cannot say to your audience; 'sorry I'm not performing because I can't stand it!'
Or yes, you can try to say it, and see what happens.

...And no matter how annoying, disturbing, and stupid the artist, or anyone else might find it.

If you want to go back in the year 1933, good luck! Everyone is free, and anyone can adapt, or reject.

What was so hard to understand from my previous post?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #62 on: 20 Jul 2013, 10:47 pm »
If you want to perform Live in front of an audience, be ready to accept that audience with all the good and the bad. ...So simple.

Coupla things:

Let me preface this by saying that when I say "you" I do not mean you specifically...I have no reason to suspect that you are anything other than a solid citizen and a pillar of your community. Other than your avatar, which I think is in questionable taste but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong...but I digress :

The price of admission entitles "you" to consume the performance, take advantage of the facility's concessions and amenities and to use the washrooms if "you" need them. It does not entitle "you" to perpetrate public douchebaggery. The artist is obliged to perform in exchange for "your" money. They are not obliged to take whatever is thrown at them because "you" paid admission and feel that gives "you" license to behave like an under-socialized puppy with the barking and the biting and the pee-ing on the rug...

If "you" want to perpetrate said public douchebaggery in front of a performer, be ready to accept that performer with all the good and bad. They may decide to leave the stage. With "your" money. And with the money of those around "you" who will consider "you" to have been a douchebag for costing them the money and the experience they paid to have. Some of them may want to have a short, frank exchange of views with "you" regarding that. I would. And I have.

Maybe not "so simple", hmmm?

D.D.

North Star

« Reply #63 on: 20 Jul 2013, 11:18 pm »
Hey, we all have our own opinion; and sometimes they reach(ed) a common accord, and at other times they diverge(d). :)

As for my avatar and what you think of it; to be perfectly frank with you, I couldn't care less. :)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #64 on: 20 Jul 2013, 11:50 pm »
I would like to know Peacock and DeJohnette opinion on KJ fads.
I feel I read some about it on JazzTimes in the 1990s.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #65 on: 21 Jul 2013, 12:18 am »
Hey, we all have our own opinion; and sometimes they reach(ed) a common accord, and at other times they diverge(d). :)

As for my avatar and what you think of it; to be perfectly frank with you, I couldn't care less. :)

I wonder how he likes mine. I could care even less. As a matter of fact the intolerant, puritanical types, really, really, annoy me, and anything I can do to annoy them is more than satisfying.
Doc

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #66 on: 21 Jul 2013, 12:29 am »
Hot legs are great anytime, but lets post about KJ boys. :thumb:
Thanks

sts9fan

« Reply #67 on: 21 Jul 2013, 12:49 am »
Douchebaggery flows both ways. There is no way KJ experienced enough to walk off the stage in that short a time. The laws of douchebaggery dictate him king douche in this instantce.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #68 on: 21 Jul 2013, 01:47 am »
I wonder how he likes mine. I could care even less. As a matter of fact the intolerant, puritanical types, really, really, annoy me, and anything I can do to annoy them is more than satisfying.
Doc

You sir, are DAMNED TO HELL!!!!

North Star

« Reply #69 on: 21 Jul 2013, 01:50 am »
C'mon now guys; one guy started to comment on my avatar, and now we've veered completely off topic, plus attacking each other!
It just don't make sense at all.  :banghead: ...Let's get back on track, shall we. :beer:

* For Christ sake; what's our avatar has got to do with it!!!  :duh:

srb

« Reply #70 on: 21 Jul 2013, 01:57 am »
There are jerks in life spanning the entire cross section of people, and some of them are performers and entertainers.

Prince, on a March appearance on the Jimmy Fallon show, borrowed Roots guitarist Kirk Douglas' prized Epiphone guitar and when finished with his song, instead of handing it back to Douglas tossed it up in the air where it smashed onto the stage floor.

I attended a performance of Rahsaan Roland Kirk at an intimate setting at a local bar, and at one point he stopped playing and asked a table of people who were talking to leave if they weren't there to listen to the music.  But he stayed and continued to play.

Keith Jarrett could have left it at asking the audience not to photograph.

You can't deny the power of the ego.

Steve

North Star

« Reply #71 on: 21 Jul 2013, 02:01 am »
There are jerks in life spanning the entire cross section of people, and some of them are performers and entertainers.

Prince, on a March appearance on the Jimmy Fallon show, borrowed Roots guitarist Kirk Douglas' prized Epiphone guitar and when finished with his song, instead of handing it back to Douglas tossed it up in the air where it smashed onto the stage floor.

I attended a performance of Rahsaan Roland Kirk at an intimate setting at a local bar, and at one point he stopped playing and asked a table of people who were talking to leave if they weren't there to listen to the music.  But he stayed and continued to play.

Keith Jarrett could have left it at asking the audience not to photograph.

You can't deny the power of the ego.

Steve

Here ya go Steve; I totally agree with you.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #72 on: 21 Jul 2013, 02:10 am »
I always thought he must...otherwise, he wouldn't try to sing... :roll:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #73 on: 21 Jul 2013, 02:27 am »
Around 2004/5 Mark Knoffler came to my city with a backup band, not Dire Straits.
The gymnasium was over crowded, more than 15K people and the beginning of the show delayed a half hour.
On the next day we know the reason for the delay, Mr.MK refuse to do the show, due the huge audience he was demanding more money from the local promoter.
A real jerk.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #74 on: 21 Jul 2013, 02:31 am »
Douchebaggery flows both ways. There is no way KJ experienced enough to walk off the stage in that short a time. The laws of douchebaggery dictate him king douche in this instantce.

Absolutely, the douchebag gate swings both ways.
 Jarrett's reaction isn't quite at the Axl Rose level, but I see where you're coming from and I don't necessarily disagree with your point. I just don't agree with the mindset that buying a ticket to a show is a permit to be an ass. Other people paid to see the show, too. They don't need some goof waving a smart phone in front of them all night, yakking incessantly over the performance, spilling drinks on them or engaging in any other form of douchebaggery at the expense of others. To say, as has been said here, with any degree of sincerity that the people who still retain some consideration for those around them should "adapt" or "evolve" by lowering themselves to the base behaviour levels exhibited by the dullards in the vicinity is a concept which beggars the imagination.

That being said, can artists act like idiots towards their audiences at concerts?  A few minutes on YouTube will put paid to that question...Yikes! Jarrett may indeed be a prima donna but he's got loads of company. Sticking with the jazz theme, is a smack-addicted Coltrane nodding off during a show any less rude or disrespectful towards the audience? How long past showtime should a paying audience have to wait before The Stones, Zeppelin, Guns and Roses or Modest Mouse finally decide to drag their self-indulgent asses up on stage? So yeah, the gate swings both ways. And respect between artist and audience ideally should be mutual.

D.D.

North Star

« Reply #75 on: 21 Jul 2013, 02:32 am »
The show must go on, no matter what!   :guitar::drums::guitar: ...It says in the contract, or unless your name is Justin Bieber:green: :duh: :banghead:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #76 on: 21 Jul 2013, 02:33 am »
Maybe, but if he was told it was a smaller venue that he may have had a right to "renegotiate."  Promoters are not necessarily paragons of virtue, either.

Edit. And that assumes the local news published the truth, or just what someone claimed...............

As to who is headed to Hades, I'll probably be there to greet him.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #77 on: 21 Jul 2013, 02:38 am »

... prized Epiphone guitar

I know the Japanese have bought up a lot of the good ones, the real nice stuff, but has it finally come to this?

D.D.

gjclaxton@gmail.com

« Reply #78 on: 21 Jul 2013, 02:50 am »
I saw him in a solo concert in Ann Arbor long ago. It was winter -- he came out and aske the audience if they could all cough once at the start of the show and try to hold it in during the remainder if the show.  He was not trying to be funny.  Great show though, and he played on even through the coughing.  Struck me then as an ass then and apparently time has not improved his tolerance . 

srb

« Reply #79 on: 21 Jul 2013, 03:29 am »
I know the Japanese have bought up a lot of the good ones, the real nice stuff, but has it finally come to this?

Do you also disparage audio equipment that you may not know a lot about?  In any case, although Douglas owns a number of very nice and expensive custom Gibsons, this one was a cherished Kalamazoo 1961 Crestwood Custom.

Steve