What would it take to get you to upgrade from your factory car stereo?

doug s.

• makin' music
as i may have mentioned before, whether or not it is or is not "high end" audio, is irrelevant for me.  i simply have no desire to listen to music when i am driving.  even when on long trips.  even when stuck in traffic.  if others like it, cool...

doug s.

medium jim

as i may have mentioned before, whether or not it is or is not "high end" audio, is irrelevant for me.  i simply have no desire to listen to music when i am driving.  even when on long trips.  even when stuck in traffic.  if others like it, cool...

doug s.

If others like it, cool....

That says it all....

Jim

mr_bill

I'm running a JL sub mounted to the rear deck,  Premier/Pioneer 6.5" components in the front doors and a pair of Premier/Pioneer 6.5" 2way fills in the back doors.

The sub has it own JL amp, the speakers are running off the Premier/Pioneer head.

I run my system eq'd flat ... This system is in my daily driver, a 2002 Cadillac Seville.

Jim

Jim, what size JL sub are you able to run that fits mounted to the rear deck?

medium jim

mr_bill

How do you have the subs mounted and dont you have to have them in a box?

slc247

jimdgoulding

A birthday or Christmas present would do it.

medium jim

How do you have the subs mounted and dont you have to have them in a box?

Mounted directly to the deck open baffle....sounds great!

Jim

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
How do you have the subs mounted and don't you have to have them in a box?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uSHAyTZI0eY/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_enclosures.html

"Free-air subwoofers
A free-air system consists of woofers mounted to a board attached to the rear deck or placed in the trunk against the rear seat. The trunk of the car acts as an enclosure which houses the subwoofer and isolates sound from the back of the speaker, solving the sound cancellation problem of subs without an enclosure.

Free-air systems save space and have flat frequency response. The woofer must be specifically designed for free-air use. The lack of a box makes them more convenient to install, but their power handling levels are usually much lower than their boxed counterparts."

Not open baffle.  :roll:

medium jim

Still sounds great....

Jim

mr_bill

Jim
Which jl audio 10" sub model # did you use that works in your free air installation?
Did you reinforce the rear deck or just mount and go?
Bill

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
I have a '10 WRX and the stereo sucks... I'd upgrade and add sound deadening if I had the budget to do so.

Car stereo isn't perfect but it is possible to increase your enjoyment of audio without spending big $$$, especially if your stock system sucks to begin with.

I also think people would enjoy the effects of sound deadening, I installed a bunch of dynamat in one of my cars and the difference was night and day. Of course this doesn't apply to luxury cars as much....

medium jim

Jim
Which jl audio 10" sub model # did you use that works in your free air installation?
Did you reinforce the rear deck or just mount and go?
Bill

Not sure of the model.  The Cadillac already had a mount for it in the back panel so it was only a matter of removing the factory subwoofer.

All the work was done by the installer, Ozzy who knows his stuff and I entrusted him to pick out the JL Sub and amp and I have no complaints, just smiles!

Jim