MAC Mini News. STOP THE PRESSES!!!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
MAC Mini News. STOP THE PRESSES!!!
« on: 6 Oct 2010, 05:40 pm »
I have been getting emails and calls all morning long about what some people THINK that I said in my post below.  I'm trying to get ready for RMAF and my plate is too full to spend all of my time answering emails and talking on the phone.  Mind you, I like all of you out there and talking to people, but I have to get things done before RMAF and will need to get some sleep, too.

For anyone that thinks that I belittled the MAC Mini or said that it is flawed, please reread what I posted.  Without a doubt it is the best available computer from which to create a dedicated music server.  Darrell and Kevin have come up with a set of modifications (hardware and software) that will render the modified unit basically unfit as a dual purpose machine.  Their mods are not the kind of things that you want to do to a Mini that you want to listen to and surf the web at the same time.  This is SERIOUS STUFF, folks.  Their modifications are extensive and purposeful.  Don't try these at home, even if you could!

Let me make my points very clear to answer questions and quell any concerns that people may have.

1.     Before the 2010 Mini came out the older Mini had firmly established itself as the best choice as a music server/computer.  This was especially true when the online tweaks were applied to it to turn off non-essential services, etc.  Eric and Crew had figured this baby out and established the Tranquility/Mini as a benchmark in digital audio.  Eric spent many hours of his valuable time helping his customers in setting up their systems to give the highest quality possible at that time.  Then the Applecart was turned over with the release of the 2010 Mini.  It sounded better out of the box than a tweaked earlier generation Mini.

2.     The 2010 MAC Mini is simply the best option for a DEDICATED music server, as well as a dual purpose machine.

Enter Darrell and Kevin - a new paradigm.

3.     The modifications that the Dynamic Duo make are ONLY for a single purpose music server.  Period!

4.     All commercial products, including the MAC Mini, are built to a pricepoint.  It is unsurpassed as a multitasking machine.  It sounds terriffic in its' stock form. 

5.     Like all things, the MAC Mini can be improved, especially IF you throw away its' functionality as a home computer.  These improvements do come at that cost, however.  It took a helluva lot of work by a couple of dedicated and well intentioned audionuts to do so.  Their work takes the MAC Mini to new levels as a music server... not as a computer.  Forget that idea.

6.     The Tranquility DAC/Essential USB/MAC Mini is the best bang for the buck digital music combo I have heard.  I find it more intellectually and emotionally satisfying than almost every "high end" DAC/player combo I have heard with the possibility of the dCS - and only possibly.  I still hear the output of the dCS as 'digital', if you know what I mean.  It never sounded like analog playback.  I just hear music from the Tranquility/2010 Mini combo... especially considering the total investment.

Fear not.  The MAC Mini is THE computer of choice for home use.  It is my ONLY choice as a music server when modified the the boys here.  It kicks butt.

Now, back to the Batcave to work on BUSSes and cables.

Dave

highfilter

Re: MAC Mini News. STOP THE PRESSES!!!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2010, 05:45 pm »
Great post, Dave. Lots of helpful information in there. Hope you knock them dead at RMAF.  :)

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2010, 07:46 pm »
Great post, Dave. Lots of helpful information in there. Hope you knock them dead at RMAF.  :)
Thanks, Clayton.  I hope so, too.   :D

People never fail to amaze me.  I never thought that anyone would read anything negative into my original post on the 2010 Mini mods.  WRONG AGAIN!!!  I was getting: "I thought that you said the MAC Mini is the greatest thing since sliced bread and now you are saying that it is a POS!".  Sheesh!  It just goes to show the mentality of some people.  They are all ready to spin something positive into a 180 degree position.  I guess that is why political pundits have jobs, eh?   :lol:

You and I and a lot of other people know that the Mini IS the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Now we can just have it with butter and jam.   :D  I like butter and jam on my bread... bread toasted, of course.   :thumb:

Thanks for your support, my friend.

Dave

highfilter

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2010, 08:35 pm »
I think many people may want a one-off solution where they can just buy it and have it create the best sound without tinkering with it. And maybe this is where people get the wrong idea about the Mac Mini (even though it sounds great right out of the box).

A lot of products (especially computers) will work great out of the box, but with anything computer-based, there's always going to be tweaks, modifications and add-ons that will push it past that point into something better, faster or just really damn impressive. Digital audio is a really sensitive thing, as so many things can affect the quality of the sound. All these tweaks and mods and workarounds add up to something that just really sounds damn amazing, it's just knowing how far you want to take it. You can grab a stock Mac Mini and be done with it, and get really good sound out of it. Or you can grab a Mac Mini and tweak the hell out of it and have your jaw drop on the floor because you realize how damn good it sounds, especially for the price.

You'll always have my support Dave, as we have the great products like yours because you always get down to the last detail. Which IMO is invaluable in this industry where people can charge an arm and maybe even a leg for their products and they are still scratching their heads wondering how your products do it so well. I wish I could attend RMAF to see you and Eric turn your toys into pure music. I'm looking forward to people's reactions.  :lol:

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2010, 01:47 pm »
This sounds just like my old Toshiba laptop that I used for 24/96 field recording. It needed all sorts of things turned off and striped down for the bits to flow free in the field, without there being a risk of drop-outs.
I believe I paid the gentleman $200 plus parts to construct it for me... It was capable of running the net and what not while not recording though. You could boot it up for recording OR some simple normal usage.

whitebird

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2010, 07:46 pm »
Hello everyone, I am a newbie to this forum but a long time music lover.  I live north of Denver and was at RMAF on Friday and thought the GR Research room was one of the three or four best sounding rooms.  Actually, to put it differently, there were three or four good sounding rooms and the rest, well you know.

I have been looking for a simple but very musical computer based system and it looks like the db Audio Tranquility DAC and Mac Mini is a very good option.  Since I do not know the players here, does it make sense to make another trip to RMAF on Sunday to discuss or will it be just as effective to talk to the players post RMAF.   I am interested in understanding how I get a iPad front end (using Pure Music?) ==> Mac Mini (modified) ==> DAC up and running. 

Your counsel is appreciated.

Audioclyde

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2010, 07:53 pm »
Whitebird,

I have a mac mini, currently feeding an EE dac (but am getting the Tranquility Sig).  I use Pure Music also.  Eric with dbAudio will walk you thru the Mac mini setup, and you can use the Remote app to control from your Ipad (everything except 'pause') while using Pure Music.  Great and simple setup!

Best,

Randy

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2010, 07:55 pm »

wilsynet

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2010, 08:05 pm »
Buy the Tranquility, the Mac Mini and the iPad first.  Worry about a modified Mac Mini and Pure Music after, as they're just tweaks to a working system.

Also, you need a wireless router too, which I assume you have.

If it seems very mysterious now, it won't be later.  Once you get the three major components, you'll just set up one thing at a time and it will be easy.

whitebird

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2010, 11:13 pm »
Good advise -- get it, play with it, upgrade it.  Thanks

saisunil

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2010, 11:16 pm »
Just don't forget a monitor or TV with HDMI cable with keyboard and mouse  :lol:

Buy the Tranquility, the Mac Mini and the iPad first.  Worry about a modified Mac Mini and Pure Music after, as they're just tweaks to a working system.

Also, you need a wireless router too, which I assume you have.

If it seems very mysterious now, it won't be later.  Once you get the three major components, you'll just set up one thing at a time and it will be easy.

dmccombs

« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2010, 06:19 pm »
Lots of folks have been asking about our MacMini mod Services.  Info can be found at Mach2Music.com

Darrell

Audioclyde

« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2010, 07:00 pm »
Darrell, that link doesn't seem to work for me.

Thnx,

Randy

Mariusz

« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2010, 07:05 pm »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2010, 07:55 pm »
Lots of folks have been asking about our MacMini mod Services.  Info can be found at Mach2Music.com

Darrell

What are the exact mods that are done though?

dmccombs

« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:04 pm »
We won't be listing out an exact mod list (i.e. how-to list).  I hope you can understand why.

Thanks,
Darrell

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:07 pm »
We won't be listing out an exact mod list (i.e. how-to list).  I hope you can understand why.

Thanks,
Darrell

I'm not asking for a how to list...I"m just asking for a list of what is done on something that you ask "only" $1495 for.  I hope you can understand why.   :wink:

Audioclyde

« Reply #17 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:14 pm »
Darrell:

Couple of questions:

(1) what is the price if I already have a 2010 Mac Mini (already with SS hard drive, 8g ram, and music on Oyen FW external drive)?

(2) can the mini still function for other basic computer things post mod (such as internet access when necessary, running certain apps such as Sample Manager when necessary)?

Thanks!

Randy

dmccombs

« Reply #18 on: 18 Oct 2010, 03:13 pm »
Darrell:

Couple of questions:

(1) what is the price if I already have a 2010 Mac Mini (already with SS hard drive, 8g ram, and music on Oyen FW external drive)?

(2) can the mini still function for other basic computer things post mod (such as internet access when necessary, running certain apps such as Sample Manager when necessary)?

Thanks!

Randy

Randy,

Since you have all the hardware purchased and installed, the price for the software setup is $395.  We would wipe your drive so we get the cleanest setup (and sound).  The price includes return shipping (insured).

While we turn off lots of things that optimize non-audio apps, the computer still can run other programs, access the internet, surf the web, etc.  We recommend that you don't install and run other apps though as they could have background process that could somewhat impact your sound quality.  But, you can do it however no problem.

Darrell

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 18 Oct 2010, 03:16 pm »