2ch does your system sound better at certain times of the day/eve

PhilNYC

I think that the reason why most people think that their systems tend to sound better at night is because they are more relaxed at that time. 

You clearly do not have any young children... :P :lol:

nathanm

Quote from: ZooDog
I think that it was Ethan Winer who mentioned in one of his articles that whenever he is demoing his system for someone else he feels like it not sounding as good as it usually does.  I've noticed this, too.  It always seems like the system is sounding too bright or has weak bass etc.  Of course, the system is probably sounding the same as it always does, but I am stressed because even if I am pleased as punch with my system, I still want the person to be impressed with the sound and validate my choice of audio gear.
That's interesting - although I've found the opposite to be true.  By myself it sounds okay but when demoing it seems better.  I only really liked the sound of my old Norh marble drums when a guy came over to buy them off me.  Part of it may be increased volume.  By myself I may be intimidated by a call\door knock from irate neighbors whereas if COMPANY is over I've got an excuse and can feel emboldened; "Hey pal, I'm entertaining here..."  Heck everything sounds better at 80db rather than 60db!

ctviggen

Speaking of that, anyone have brown outs this year?  When it hit 90+ in CT this year, I saw a low of 106 volts (typically around 117-120V)!  Yikes!

ZooDog

I think that the reason why most people think that their systems tend to sound better at night is because they are more relaxed at that time. 

You clearly do not have any young children... :P :lol:

I mean after they've been put to bed, or at least locked in their rooms for the night.

carusoracer

Great replies,
I confirmed once again last evening the sound improvement on my personal system around 8:30pm.
I tested simply listening to the same CD off and on with a critical listen on the half hour and the whole system seemed to open up later on in the cycle. I would take breaks from a lengthy computer project for the experiment. The total length of time was 5.5hrs.
The article from "William Gaw" in Positive Feedback addresses many of my concerns. I emailed him for other suggestions. His reply "Look to my August article to answer all of your questions".
This should be another very interesting read.

carusoracer

Great replies,
I confirmed once again last evening the sound improvement on my personal system around 8:30pm.
I tested simply listening to the same CD off and on with a critical listen on the half hour and the whole system seemed to open up later on in the cycle. I would take breaks from a lengthy computer project for the experiment. The total length of time was 5.5hrs.
The article from "William Gaw" in Positive Feedback addresses many of my concerns. I emailed him for other suggestions. His reply "Look to my August article to answer all of your questions".
This should be another very interesting read.

Here is the link http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0806/aachapter82.htm
Anyone familar with American Power Conversion Corp :o

Papajin

Here is the link http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0806/aachapter82.htm
Anyone familar with American Power Conversion Corp :o

APC is very big in the personal computing space.  Their primary claim to fame is uninterruptable power supplies for PC's.  Pop by any online computer store such as Newegg, and you're sure to find some APC gear. :)

Randy

Quoting -"I agree.  I find that the music sounds cleaner in the evening/night.  I often sit in the dark which elimnates other sensual stimulations."

Most of you feel your systems sound better in the evening hours.  Here it's just the opposite.  During the daytime, my system sounds superb, with no grainy hash at all from the electricity, but around 5:30 P.M. it starts going in the toilet.  I live in a small town and it's about that time everybody comes home, starts cooking, and turns on the TV.  During the day there is much less use of the power grid, since there is no industry around here to suck up the juice.  The difference is not subtle.  Round about midnight it's starts getting clear again, but by then I can no longer stay awake.  I've tried several brands of power conditioners, none of which made any difference- except one, a Canadian brand of power regenerator, which I no longer have. Circumstances required that I send it back.  (A long, long story.)  I now have a Running Springs which may help a little with the problem.

Soundbitten

Yesterday my system suddenly started sounding better around 3 PM .   :scratch:

TheChairGuy

Yesterday my system suddenly started sounding better around 3 PM .   :scratch:

Didn't that coincide with TGIF Happy Hour?  :wink: