Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136

tme110

Re: Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136
« Reply #60 on: 21 Dec 2020, 12:26 am »
Do these power conditioners wear out?  I'm not talking from lightening or continuous spikes.

Lots of talk about correcting minor issues in the mains, but my mains vary by 7-9 volts sometimes.  Would this do anything for that?  I currently use an APC conditioner.  No thoughts to improving sound but using it to protect my gear.  It will maintain voltage to 120v but only to 127v, after that it cuts power - which does happen here and there.

Also, my my apple tv, fire tv, micro rendu antenna and all the switching power supplies, I plug all of that into a triplite strip and plug that into a different outlet (assuming these are all 'noisy' components).  If had had a power conditioner like this, would I just plug everything I had into it?

You know what this needs? A power button.

thanks.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2020, 02:44 am by tme110 »

TomS

« Reply #61 on: 21 Dec 2020, 03:00 am »
Do these power conditioners wear out?  I'm not talking from lightening or continuous spikes.

Lots of talk about correcting minor issues in the mains, but my mains vary by 7-9 volts sometimes.  Would this do anything for that?  I currently use an APC conditioner.  No thoughts to improving sound but using it to protect my gear.  It will maintain voltage to 120v but only to 127v, after that it cuts power - which does happen here and there.

Also, my my apple tv, fire tv, micro rendu antenna and all the switching power supplies, I plug all of that into a triplite strip and plug that into a different outlet (assuming these are all 'noisy' components).  If had had a power conditioner like this, would I just plug everything I had into it?

You know what this needs? A power button.

thanks.
The components used inside operate mostly at ambient temps and will last many years. There are a few electrolytic caps in the DC blocker circuit which may eventually need to be replaced, just like in all electronics using them.

No, it will not adjust the output voltage in any way up or down when input variations occur. Torus Power and PS Audio make products that can address that issue.

You can plug everything into it as the 6 outlets are individually filtered and provide some degree of isolation from each other as well.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #62 on: 21 Dec 2020, 03:16 am »
Anybody compared the Puritan to other brands ? I tried to find recent user reviews but looks like all talks were 3-4 yrs ago and there are hardly any talks about it now. The Shunyata Denali and Audioquest Niagara has been consistently rated very high and was wondering if anyone has any feedback comparing against the Puritan ?

I've owned them all and just sold an Inakustik 3500P to buy the 156. Hands down the best so far. ANd I loved the 3500P. I'm looking for clean sound. Don't care about surge, etc. I have good power at this house.  Will have the Ground Master up and running soon also.

Wig

« Reply #63 on: 21 Dec 2020, 03:56 am »
Anybody compared the Puritan to other brands ? I tried to find recent user reviews but looks like all talks were 3-4 yrs ago and there are hardly any talks about it now. The Shunyata Denali and Audioquest Niagara has been consistently rated very high and was wondering if anyone has any feedback comparing against the Puritan ?

Here’s a list of conditioners I can remember owning:

Torus CS
Shunyata
SR Can’t remember model
Audience TS6
Running Springs Jaco
Core Power 1200 with Furutech NCF Outlets, rewired with Duelund 600V Poly, home runs to each outlet eliminating the stock piggy-back config and Audience XO Cap on each outlet and all modified by me.
Inakustik 3500P

The Puritan blows away all of the conditioners I mentioned above with ease.

Wig :D

tme110

« Reply #64 on: 21 Dec 2020, 06:04 pm »
The components used inside operate mostly at ambient temps and will last many years. There are a few electrolytic caps in the DC blocker circuit which may eventually need to be replaced, just like in all electronics using them.

Yea, I realize all electronics eventually wear out, I'm hoping a high end power conditioner can last 20-30 years.  My APC is 15 years old and have no idea if it still (fully)  works.  In that time I've had 4 speaker systems, 6 amps, etc but have no desire to even think about a power conditioner again once I get one. That's why I also like the power off button - parasitic loads and keeping all flow of electricity out when not being used to help (hope) it lasts longer (no heat production at all).

tdangelo

« Reply #65 on: 21 Dec 2020, 06:04 pm »
Any opinions on their power cables?

Thx
Tony

RPM123

« Reply #66 on: 21 Dec 2020, 06:49 pm »
A 20 amp cord came with mine. It's VERY flexible and Mike at Audio Archon said that he tried other power cords with it and there was no improvement, when I inquired. Uh, oh...I may have opened a can of worms with that statement!  :wink:  The cords can bought separately.

tdangelo

« Reply #67 on: 21 Dec 2020, 07:11 pm »
A 20 amp cord came with mine. It's VERY flexible and Mike at Audio Archon said that he tried other power cords with it and there was no improvement, when I inquired. Uh, oh...I may have opened a can of worms with that statement!  :wink:  The cords can bought separately.
Thanks. I'm so sick of stiff cables  :icon_lol:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #68 on: 21 Dec 2020, 08:02 pm »
  Interesting conditioner. This is a solution to using multiple dedicate lines and conditioners for each line. I have had success using four dedicated lines conditioning each separately. One ea for mono blocks. One for TT, phono Pre and preamp and one for all digital. This solution although more expensive to do worked better than any conditioner on one line feeding entire system. The secret sauce is making sure all lines are same length especially ground. Would like to see a conditioner for mono blocks with one outlet.

charles

sfox7076

« Reply #69 on: 21 Dec 2020, 08:39 pm »
Charles:

What kind of turntable was it?

Shawn

TomS

« Reply #70 on: 21 Dec 2020, 10:03 pm »
Thanks. I'm so sick of stiff cables  :icon_lol:
Just be aware that if you want to try others, the IEC inlet on the unit is 20A for better grip(?), though the unit itself is rated at 15A so their cord has a 15A plug on it.

AndrewA

« Reply #71 on: 21 Dec 2020, 10:27 pm »
I got a couple of Puritan power cords along with the '156.  The copper color can be a struggle to get in the US, but makes a nice change from black.

They are supremely flexible, which is a big plus, because I'm working with limited space.

Using them to plug my two monoblocs into the '156.  The '156 is the piece of the puzzle that makes the big difference, but the PCs certainly don't hurt and are very reasonably priced compared to many others out there.

Heckler75

« Reply #72 on: 23 Dec 2020, 03:34 am »
Does the Puritan 156 need break in time or will it be good out of the box?  in  the world of audio, everything needs break in. Lol

Wig

« Reply #73 on: 23 Dec 2020, 04:01 am »
Does the Puritan 156 need break in time or will it be good out of the box?  in  the world of audio, everything needs break in. Lol

You will hear the benefits immediately but will take up to 2 weeks of burn-in to get the wire and outlets conditioned.

Wig

Heckler75

« Reply #74 on: 24 Dec 2020, 07:06 pm »
I got a couple of Puritan power cords along with the '156.  The copper color can be a struggle to get in the US, but makes a nice change from black.

They are supremely flexible, which is a big plus, because I'm working with limited space.

Using them to plug my two monoblocs into the '156.  The '156 is the piece of the puzzle that makes the big difference, but the PCs certainly don't hurt and are very reasonably priced compared to many others out there.

AndrewA,

Happen to know the US Retail price for the upgraded power cords (need a 2M)  they  have  the “Classic plus” and “Ultimate “  (copper color?)   

what improvements did the upgraded “Copper” cord have over the factory Black cord

Thanks

debjit.g

« Reply #75 on: 30 Dec 2020, 06:08 pm »
How many power cords yours came with ? I read some got 15A and 20A while other states only one 2M 20A.

AndrewA

« Reply #76 on: 30 Dec 2020, 10:24 pm »
156 model.  One power cord.  It has the 20 amp connector on the component end, because the Puritan uses a 20 amp socket/receptacle for its own power cord.  Regular 15 amp plug on the wall end, so it works fine with regular domestic wiring.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #77 on: 30 Dec 2020, 10:36 pm »
My used 156 unit came with 2 cables. Don't really see them as better than my DCCA's though. When I get time I will experiment some.

TomS

« Reply #78 on: 30 Dec 2020, 11:23 pm »
One cord with my PSM156, same as others, 20A connection to the IEC and 15A connection to the wall.

debjit.g

« Reply #79 on: 31 Dec 2020, 12:25 am »
Thanks for all the replies. Does it come with a generic cord or it’s one of the cords they sell as well ? Anyone played with an aftermarket cord ?