Cambridge Audio CXN V2 w/ Modwright Instruments Truth Modifications A Review

nature boy

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 w/ Modwright Instruments Truth Modifications Review (Her Name is Lucille)

A Little Background

In May, 2020 I contacted Dan Wright of Modwright Instruments (MWI) regarding a proposed tube output modification he was considering for the Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (CXN).  I now have the pleasure of owning the first of Dan’s first modified CXN music streamer/DAC. Here is a link to MWI’s page describing the modifications in detail (attach page link here).

The stock CXN has been fairly well reviewed on Darko.Audio, What*HiFi, and recently The Absolute Sound. The unit was purchased directly from Crutchfield and shipped directly to Modwright for the modifications, so I don’t have any baseline listening experience with the stock CXN.

What prompted me to get MWI to modify a Cambridge Audio CXN V2? First, I’ve had the opportunity to hear a few of Dan Wright’s amplifiers, preamplifiers, and modified digital source equipment at three Capital Audio Shows. His equipment has always sounded glorious, even in somewhat challenging listening conditions. He has always impressed me as someone who is passionate about music, sound reproduction, and his personal commitment to customer satisfaction.  Second, Steve Deckert of Decware (disclosure: I own a lot of Steve’s equipment) lauded about the user friendly interface and excellent sound quality of the stock unit. I was impressed when Steve mentioned on the Decware forum that he replaced his own ZDAC2 (modified TEAC NT503 DAC) with the CXN. Third, after enjoying an audio PC and DAC combo for a few years, I wanted a single box music streamer/DAC solution to simplify my dedicated two channel audio system.

My Listening and Set Up Experience 

To cut to the chase, the Modwright Instruments modified CXN V2 streamer/DAC produces the best sounding reproduced music I’ve ever heard, PERIOD!  This includes analog (vinyl) and digital (streamed, CD, SACD, or uncompressed digital files).  Upon my initial listening after a short period JJ 6992 tube warm up, this baby (which I call My Lucille) casts a tonally accurate, spacious soundscape with beautiful sounding voices and instruments. The music is rendered with exceptional emotion and detail, it just grabs you and won’t let go. The modified CXN allows you to simply indulge yourself in the music.

The CXN was a snap to install and set up. Initially I hooked up a Triode Wire Labs (TWL) digital coax cable from my CD transport, RCA outs from the CXN to my Decware CSP3+ preamplifier and a TWL High Power Digital power cord from the CXN to my PI Audio Group UberBUSS power conditioner. A couple minutes later I had my WiFi connection and downloaded the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic remote app on my Samsung tablet. Then I was playing some favorite selections of streamed music via TIDAL. It was all very straight forward with no hiccups. The controls on CXN front panel and supplied remote control are easy to use and very intuitive. Congratulations Cambridge Audio.

After a couple of days, I found the Stream Magic app a bit clunky and frustrating accessing my music on TIDAL. I opted to a Roon Audio trial. Bingo, just the user friendly ticket for a technology challenged audio nut to access all of his/her music. It was easy peasy to install, plus improved sound quality using the Roon processing to boot. While the CXN has a built in preamplifier mode which makes it easy to adjust volume from your listening position, I found that turning this function off resulted in improved sound quality, YRMV.

More On Sound Quality

After spending ten days with the MWI modified CXN I am growing more and more enamored with each listening experience. Streaming TIDAL selections on Roon (my primary listening mode) I became more drawn to the music than ever before. Everything just sounds so right. Female vocals, piano, stringed instruments, brass, etc. are conveyed to the listener which shocking realism and truth. I was astounded by the attack of several large scale orchestral pieces and drum solo’s on more than one occasion. This piece of audio equipment simply put brings musical joy to your ears!

According to the Cambridge Audio website “the CXN V2 features ATF2 (2nd generation Adaptive Time Filtering) audio upsampling. The ATF2 system intelligently upsamples all incoming audio signals to 24-bit/384kHz. ATF2 also dramatically reduces digital jitter, a form of audible interference which affects all digital music. Jitter is most apparent when music is stored on computer hard drives and is the audio equivalent to a blurred image in a movie. Data scrambling circuitry also maintains signal quality and purity during quieter periods by reducing background noise.”

The modified CXN brings a deep sense of the recorded space, particularly on live recordings. Formerly hidden details in the music like reverberation, breathing of singers, the thwack of a drum skin, buzz of a guitar amplifier on stage, etc. gives one an vivid mental picture of the recorded venue and conveys energy from audiences when present. I think this is due to a combination of factors including the CXN and well-designed tube output’s extremely low noise floor, the cache of subtle details resolved, and the vast three dimensional soundstage that emerges from ones speakers. As an example, listening to Eric Clapton’s Unplugged and the Nils Lofgren Band Live albums were a surreal, you are there experience.

Some Closing Thoughts

Like many, I have been involved in this hobby/obsession for most of my life. It all started with a visit to Audio Connection in Verona, NJ, meeting owner John Rutan, and listening to Quicksilver Audio tube amplifiers and a pair of Vandersteen 2CE speakers. What an ear opening experience that was!

Dan Wright had been obsessed, in a very good way, with designing and building audio equipment and equipment modifications for more than 20 years.  I believe his passion, dedication, and extensive tube output modification/building experience has reached a true pinnacle the Cambridge Audio CXN V2. Folks, this is simply an audio masterpiece that rivals ANY DIGITAL MUSIC STREAMER OR DAC out there today.

Sure, right you say, but are there no shortcomings? I’ve tried very hard to find any flaws over the last ten days given my attention to detail and attentive listening. Here are a few minor quibbles. First, as previously mentioned the Stream Magic remote app is clunky and a bit slow. If you want the best user experience plop down the subscription price and install Roon, it’s that simple. Second, my modified unit came with a pair of matched JJ E88CC/6992 tubes sourced from Viva Tubes. The tubes sound very good, but I’ve ordered a pair of NOS Amperex 6DJ8 tubes from Vintage Tube Service to see if I can get an even better sound, it’s just my ever searching for the ultimate nature.

Hearty congratulations to Dan Wright. Through his Cambridge Audio CXN V2 modifications he has created an absolutely stunning sounding audio experience in my listening room.

Associated Equipment

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ heavy platter w/ Dynavector 20X2 low output cartridge > Modwright Instruments PH9.0 phono preamplifier > Decware ZRock2 w/ 25th anniversary mods OR Modwright Instruments modified Cambridge Audio CXN V2 music streamer/DAC > Decware CSP3+ preamplifier w/ 25th anniversary mods > Pi Audio Group UberBUSS power conditioner (source equipment only) > Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier w/ 25th anniversary mods > Omega Super Alnico High Output XRS speakers OR Caintuck Audio Lii15 open baffle speakers. Various RCA interconnects and power cables from Triode Wire Labs, ZenWave Audio, and Accoustic BBQ. All in a dedicated well treated listening room.

Listening Notes

All listening was done through single-ended RCA inputs/outputs. The modification includes upgraded RCA outputs and stock balanced XLR outputs, you can only use one at a time. I did not do any listening to the modified CXN V@ with the stock power cord. I used a highly regarded Triode Wire Labs power cord.    

END

« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2020, 07:44 pm by nature boy »

jtsnead

Congratulations, sounds like a nice unit

displayname

I would love to hear one of these. Looks very tempting.

Jon L

The modification includes upgraded RCA outputs and stock balanced XLR outputs, you can only use one at a time.

Congrats on the MW CXN!

Could we bother you with how the modified output differs from stock output in comparative terms?  TIA.

nature boy

Jon,

I did not get a chance to listen to the stock unit prior to modifications. I just had it drop shipped directly to Dan, who  spent a couple months listening to the stock unit before designing the tube output modifications. I simply relied  on two friends with good ears who told me the stock unit sounded pretty good by itself.

NB

displayname

I look forward to eventually hearing some feedback from users who have had the stock unit for awhile before the mods were done. 

I'd also be curious to hear from anyone potentially jumping from a more costly separates system with an individual streamer and DAC. I wonder how it stacks up to Auralic and Lumin options given that the streamer section in this unit remains the same.

I suspect it would hold up fairly well, but understanding the differences would be great. 

nature boy

Since Modwright requires new CXN units drop shipped from a dealer for mods it is unlikely that you'll see a comparison of the stock and modified unit. Dan Wright spent a couple months listening to the stock unit before completing the modifications, he's probably the only person I know who can offer a comparison at this point.

I suggest you check out the Modwright modification page for the CXN for his insights/comments if your interested.

Regarding comparisons with high end units, this may only be possible at a future audio show event, maybe in late 2021 given the Covid-19 situation. Dan has a waiting list for CXN modifications, so you'll likely see more comments as people receive them back from Modwright.

NB

Craig B

The info on Modwright's website seems to indicate the customer can do either - ship their unit to them, or buy it from a dealer who ships it to them. From the website:

Where do customers ship their unit for modification?
If you have purchased your Cambridge Audio CXN V2 and you are planning to send it in for modification OR you are ordering it new from a retailer and planning to have it sent direct to us, please ship it to the following address:

ModWright Instruments, Inc.
Attn: YOUR NAME
21919 NE 399th Street
Amboy, WA 98601
USA

displayname

Since Modwright requires new CXN units drop shipped from a dealer for mods it is unlikely that you'll see a comparison of the stock and modified unit. Dan Wright spent a couple months listening to the stock unit before completing the modifications, he's probably the only person I know who can offer a comparison at this point.

I suggest you check out the Modwright modification page for the CXN for his insights/comments if your interested.

Regarding comparisons with high end units, this may only be possible at a future audio show event, maybe in late 2021 given the Covid-19 situation. Dan has a waiting list for CXN modifications, so you'll likely see more comments as people receive them back from Modwright.

NB
I checked out the page. It is honestly a better price point and a more impressive mod than I was expecting it to be, which has my interest. But being a long term CXN V2 owner, being required to buy new would be a deal breaker for me. It sounds like they will mod existing units though, so maybe that will be in the cards for me in the future.

jriggy

I’m either missing something, as I’m just skimming or you’re over thinking it. Dan will certainly accept a brand new unit or used unit of ones own, just like he always has.

displayname

I’m either missing something, as I’m just skimming or you’re over thinking it. Dan will certainly accept a brand new unit or used unit of ones own, just like he always has.

I don't think you're missing anything. Just some mild confusion earlier, but it appears that a used/existing unit is an option based on the website.

nature boy

My bad, sorry for the confusion. You can either drop ship or send in your existing unit. Also Modwright warranties the mods for three years, pretty nice in this day and age.

NB

displayname

Yes, that was another touch I found very appealing. I'm glad that was offered out right rather than being something people had to ask for.

displayname

@nature boy - would you mind posting a pic of what the final product looks like? I haven't seen one with the finished top installed. I can somewhat mentally picture it based on other Modwright mods, but I'm still curious about how far the tubes stick out. I'm also curious if the unit runs hot with these mods.

nature boy

Here you go. About half the tube is exposed. It does not run very hot, at least in my open rack.

NB

displayname

TY! Looks pretty sleek still.

nature boy

So I decided to replace the stock fuse with a 1.0 amp Synergistic Research Orange fuse since I have these in my other tube equipment. I wasn't expecting much improvement in SQ but Holy Crap, increased dimensionality and sonics. And I haven't even received my NOS Amperex 6DJ8 tubes from Andy yet.

Something tells me I'm going to have a very long listening session today😊.

NB

displayname

I had a whole game plan for potentially upgrading my digital end in 2021, but honestly between Tidal Connect coming soon to the CXN, and this upgrade I might be reassessing.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
thanks for the review and discussion.  i have a cxnv2 and am interested in opinions from those who have heard both the standard and modded versions. 

there must be some by now?

regards

senna1a

I have my CXN V2 that’s currently in queue for the upgrade, so I will be able to give my perspective vs the stock CXN that I lived with since last May. I also have an Auralic Aries Femto bridge feeding a PS Audio Directstream DAC, so while not apples to apples (and a bit more $$), I’ll be able to provide some ideas of compare / contrast to a separate streamer/DAC