PROBLEM WITH ZTOL20

Jorge

PROBLEM WITH ZTOL20
« on: 22 Nov 2018, 09:15 pm »
Unexpectedly, I had a problem with my ZTOL10. Having a trouble with the lack of signal from any source. I did mail Mark Schneider inmediately, he replied very quickly. I tried to explain in videos what was the problem about. He believes it is a tube failure and he send me right away a new set. Lets hope it is only that and I can fix it soon. Going a bit sad i did love it but it is not normal after 12month of use to have such problem when tubes should run at least 10000h. I do not know, maybe bad luck. But being in Europe does not help to solve the problem quickly.

The amp and the pre-amp from LTA are great for Omega, suggested by Louis. I was really happy with them. Anyway,  if anybody suffered of the same, like hearing first broken sound from the sources and then nothing at all despite switch it on and off from one day to another, please share.

richidoo

Re: PROBLEM WITH ZTOL20
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2018, 02:40 am »
it is not normal after 12month of use to have such problem when tubes should run at least 10000h.

It's always normal for tubes to fail. :) 1 hour or 5000 hours, anytime for no good reason. The dark side of tube amps is that they use tubes! But the sound and the overall ownership experience is well worth it.

You can minimize the disappointment of the inevitable failures by being prepared. Having spare tubes, fuses, and other parts that are known to fail will usually make fixing it quick and easy. Your amp is designed to protect itself from the expected failures like tubes, so you can expect repairs to be fairly simple that you can do with help from mfg by phone or email. But without parts on hand it's much less fun waiting with no music.

Every tube amp and preamp I've used has had at least one tube failure, some had several. Almost all were very easy to fix. Waiting for the parts to arrive was the worst part. Once I learned to stock parts I was much happier. The mfgs always helped me by phone and email to fix it myself. Only once did an amp require shipping back for repair, but when it arrived, they couldn't find any problem! Tube amps are frustrating, but the unique sound is worth the aggravation, and you can minimize the negative feelings by being prepared.
Rich

Jorge

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2018, 06:29 am »
Good advice, many thanks. It wont be the last set of tubes i will buy.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2018, 10:03 am »
In the 1970s I read a similar story on a Naka 1000 expensive moving coil on a local magazine, the conclusion was cartridges can lasts 5 minutes, 5 years...
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2018, 11:31 am by FullRangeMan »

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2018, 04:10 pm »
Please let us know if it was just the tube (probably is), as you’re somewhat prematurely making a grey-area bashing on a product and company that may no be the case.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2018, 04:45 pm »
It's always normal for tubes to fail. :) 1 hour or 5000 hours, anytime for no good reason. The dark side of tube amps is that they use tubes! But the sound and the overall ownership experience is well worth it.

You can minimize the disappointment of the inevitable failures by being prepared. Having spare tubes, fuses, and other parts that are known to fail will usually make fixing it quick and easy. Your amp is designed to protect itself from the expected failures like tubes, so you can expect repairs to be fairly simple that you can do with help from mfg by phone or email. But without parts on hand it's much less fun waiting with no music.

Every tube amp and preamp I've used has had at least one tube failure, some had several. Almost all were very easy to fix. Waiting for the parts to arrive was the worst part. Once I learned to stock parts I was much happier. The mfgs always helped me by phone and email to fix it myself. Only once did an amp require shipping back for repair, but when it arrived, they couldn't find any problem! Tube amps are frustrating, but the unique sound is worth the aggravation, and you can minimize the negative feelings by being prepared.
Rich

+1... saved me some typing!

You can minimize tube failures by going for NOS ime, especially rectifier and power tubes. Or you can go high end new like Sophia, which will have warranty, but selection is limited.

Part of the "fun" of tubes is trying different tubes. I don't have much experience with the ZOTL amps but you can research what others' feel are the best options for the amp and buy some tubes, as now you know having spares on hand is kind of a requirement.  :green:

I built my 1st tube amp 10+ years ago and owned tube gear for several years before that and unfortunately I've had a lot of premature tube failures from a multitude of causes. This isn't reliable by modern standards. But I've also had many tubes that are just fine.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2018, 05:14 pm »
You can minimize tube failures by going for NOS ime, especially rectifier and power tubes.

Just the opposite for me, many more problems with nos vs. new.
Including my recent Inspire purchase with an extra pair of nos power tubes that lasted about 2 hours.  :(

Jorge

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2018, 07:53 pm »
Hi, waiting for the tubes from US, the y are on their way. It will take some time. Nothing to complain so far, Mark Schneider reacted quickly and inmediate reply. My fault is to leave far away from Washington. It can be a bad tube, I will see it when they are hére. What I do now  is to enjoy the MicroZTOL as amplifier, with only 2w I do enjoy my Omega SuperAlnicoHO cree. Incredible the capacity and the sound, really a piece of gear difficult to believe.

I did not expected a tube failure so quickly, bad luck I guess.

Jorge

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2018, 09:09 pm »
Hi, did anybody roll the tubes in the MicroZTOL and the ZtOL10????. Which combination, tube brands and result? Many thanks in advance.

Ben1248

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2018, 03:11 am »
Hi Jorge,

I think we have the same system. For a time I used  only the MicroZTOL  - Mark upgraded my Zotl10 to mk2 in the mean time (w/ NOS tubes). I was amazed how good the system sounded. There are limits, but for vocal and small jazz esemble it is excellent. This should give you enough enjoyment, until the tubes arrive.

I have my system now for about 1.5 years and listen for about 20 hours a week on average (=1500hours/year).  If I have now to change tubes it is not an issue. It is such a pleasure to listen to the system. What for me is important is the service from Mark and Louis (and of course Auralic: Mr Wang ;-) ). 

Best Regards,

Uwe

Jorge

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2018, 06:43 am »
Hi, yes microZOTL mkii with power supply + ZOTL 10 mkii connected to Omega AlnicoHOXRS. Amazing sound for the price. Great combo. No question at all , Mark replies inmediatelly only question is the distance. Not so easy to manage this types of questions. I am sure I ll get a solution anyway.

Jorge

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2018, 05:56 pm »
Hi,

CUSTOMER SERVICE is something that many european companies should learn from US companies. Believe it or not, after receiving the set of new tubes, it was clear that the problem was deeper than a tube ( that was 10 days ago). Mark Schneider, owner LTA took over the problem and offered to fix it free of charge as I could not find any technical explanation apart from the posible tube failure.

I did sent the amp to Takoma Park, it arrived there last Friday, today Monday, it is on its way back to Spain after being fixed. Can you believe it? sorry but I can´t.

Aparently for any reason a failure in the power section ocurred. It is done and on its way home again.

With such customer service close to you in the US who cares about technical problems....uauuuhhh

from here, I have no words to thank Mark, it is his Business, of course, but with such a service everything is smoother and if you even have a problem, take for sure there is a quick response. We have to learn a lot about that in Europe...for sure.

Dying to connect it again to my SAHOXRS....

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2018, 06:37 pm »
Hi,

CUSTOMER SERVICE is something that many european companies should learn from US companies. Believe it or not, after receiving the set of new tubes, it was clear that the problem was deeper than a tube ( that was 10 days ago). Mark Schneider, owner LTA took over the problem and offered to fix it free of charge as I could not find any technical explanation apart from the posible tube failure.

I did sent the amp to Takoma Park, it arrived there last Friday, today Monday, it is on its way back to Spain after being fixed. Can you believe it? sorry but I can´t.

Aparently for any reason a failure in the power section ocurred. It is done and on its way home again.

With such customer service close to you in the US who cares about technical problems....uauuuhhh

from here, I have no words to thank Mark, it is his Business, of course, but with such a service everything is smoother and if you even have a problem, take for sure there is a quick response. We have to learn a lot about that in Europe...for sure.

Dying to connect it again to my SAHOXRS....

Good to hear!

Tube failures, especially rectifier failures, can take out other parts like resistors and trafos. I've had both happen.

I hope you have many months/years of trouble free listening!  :)

Jorge

« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2018, 09:45 am »
Wednesday 19th and the ZTOL10 is already safe at home!

Unbelieable!

Testing it again tonight. My Omegas are warming up...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2018, 04:36 pm »
  Mark is a really good guy. Products are great and as you found out service is superb. ENJOY !!!!!

charles