squeezebox mod get together

Berndt

squeezebox mod get together
« on: 25 Jun 2007, 11:54 pm »
It seems as if there would be interest in a diy get together to do some squeezebox modding.
If Gary can steer us in the right direction, perhaps we can do a group parts buy?
I would be willing to host as well.
This would require Gary's guidance, BTW.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2007, 02:00 pm by Berndt »

GBB

Re: squuezebox mod get together
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2007, 05:54 am »
It seems as if there would be interest in a diy get together to do some squeezebox modding.
If Gary can steer us in the right direction, perhaps we can do a group parts buy?
I would be willing to host as well.
This would require Gary's guidance, BTW.

Bill,
I guess I should jump in here.  The modded Squeezebox that I brought to your place has three changes from a stock unit.

1)New power supply - this is easy.  Just buy a surplus 5v linear supply with current capability of more than 3A, put the right connector on it and you're good to go.

2)Upgrading the digital output.  Assuming you want to use an external dac then you add a 75ohm BNC connector and a pulse transformer.  This is challenging but doable.

3)Upgrading the analog output.  This involves removing a lot of surface mount parts from the circuit board and I suspect needs a higher level of soldering skill than most people can muster.

So I think we can do something if people are happy with the new power supply and upgrade to the digital output.  But I think it will be too tough to upgrade the analog outputs.  How does this match up with what you had in mind?

---Gary

parrydave

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2007, 01:18 pm »
hi both,

I'm the wrong side of the pond for a SB-modding meet (great idea though).  But if there is a group buy on pulse transformers i'd be very interested.  I'll watch with interest....

Dave

Berndt

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2007, 01:59 pm »
Gary, I believe focusing on the digital out and powersupply would be a good starter tartget.