wet clean w/ vac.....oh yeah

Scottdazzle

Re: wet clean w/ vac.....oh yeah
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2010, 09:35 pm »
Rob,

I think you may be overdoing the alcohol.  Too much alcohol supposedly can damage the plasticizers in the vinyl, making the vinyl more brittle and more easily worn.  My home brew is about 5-10% alcohol which seems to be adequate.  Be sure to use high purity alcohol, not the 70% version on the drug store shelves.  I used a few drops of Dawn detergent instead of photo flo.  If it's good enough for oily birds it's good enough for old records!  I only use the home brew on used records.  I go commercial for new records on the assumption that MoFi or Disk Doctor know better than I do about the best mixtures.

Mikey Fremer also pointed out that plain old Aquafina is an excellent rinse because it's just purified water.  Put some on your records and some in your Scotch.   8)

Scott

Rob S.

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jul 2010, 10:40 pm »
Scott:   what quantity of solution are you putting a few drops of dish detergent into?

I'll try your mix for my next 8oz mixture...  :) 
Maybe you've already told me, but what are you using for your cleaner on new records?

Thanks and happy listening.

Rob S.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jul 2010, 05:50 am »
Hello Laura,

Most of the time I just rinse with the brush on the dispenser and use the same wand to suck up the water.   8) 

Hi Rim,

I've been known to do the same, but most of the time I do a 2d rinse. It only takes a few seconds. Try to stay cool. I should be back in DC in September. I'll stay in touch.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jul 2010, 05:58 am »

What do you like for the 1st step of dirty record cleaning?.   I'd love to spend less time scrubbing.
Rob S.

Rob,

When I have a really dirty used record or when I clean a new or used record with the DD fluid and it isn't as clean as I want it, I use the Audio Intelligent enzyme fluid and let it sit on the record for a few minutes before a light scrub. I follow up with the AI Super Cleaner and follow the same process. Then I rinse. I have had very good results following these steps.

Laura

twitch54

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jul 2010, 11:18 am »
while were re-discovering cleaning secrets I'll put my two cents in for the use of 'LAST' products both for the preservitive on the LP after the cleaning process as well as stylus treatment. I've been using them for as long as I can remember with what I consider to be very positive results.

regards,

Dave

Scottdazzle

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jul 2010, 10:09 pm »
Scott:   what quantity of solution are you putting a few drops of dish detergent into?

I'll try your mix for my next 8oz mixture...  :) 
Maybe you've already told me, but what are you using for your cleaner on new records?

Thanks and happy listening.

Rob S.

Rob, I use the bottle that came with the VPI cleaner -- what's that, 8 oz, 12 oz?  On new records I have used VPI, Nitty Gritty, and MoFi.  Of those, I think the Nitty Gritty is best. I'm going to try Disk Doctor next.