What % of your vinyl setup did you spend on your cartridge?

Browntrout

Re: What % of your vinyl setup did you spend on your cartridge?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2009, 07:28 am »
No. Not at all :D
 (If you could return the favour at some point without making it obvious it would be appreciated)

Ericus Rex

« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2009, 11:43 am »
(I've got your back, Browntrout -  :wink:)

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #22 on: 18 Aug 2009, 02:19 pm »
Just a smidgen over 24%.

Dave

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #23 on: 18 Aug 2009, 02:36 pm »
Dave,

Nice system you put together.  How does AD/DA working out with your analog input?  EP uses Behringer DCX 2496, right?  I have heard DEQX being good but have not heard from the DCX camp. 

Mariusz

« Reply #24 on: 18 Aug 2009, 02:56 pm »
30%-35% - I never really thought about it ...... until now.
(SoundSmith-SSMC-1 & MusicMaker Cartridgeman - also Denon103R, Dynavector Karat 17d3 SS retip, Goldring Eroica H)

Mariusz :thumb:

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #25 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:02 pm »
Hello woodsyi:

In truth I think the Behringer is the weak link.  I used the same front end (both digital and analog) with other speakers prior to getting the EP's.  With both sets of earlier speakers (Opera and Talon) the vinyl literally blew away the Cd's.  Overall, the EP's are much better than the Operas or the Talons.

Now, there is less of a difference, although the vinyl recording (for example, Beach Boys, Pet Sounds) is still better than the CD version.  By better, I of course mean to my ears.  Others mileage may vary and I do not want to hijack the thread.

Back to cartridges and arms, I have used the CA Discovery on a Rega P-25 with a re-wired stock arm, and on a Thorens TD 124 with a SME arm (both vintage and wonderful sounding).  In each of those cases the percentage would have been in the neighborhood of 40%.

The Discovery replaced a Dynavector 17D Karat which was very good, but not in the same league as the Clearaudio.

Dave