the "noodle" tweak -- anybody done it?

ohenry

Re: the "noodle" tweak -- anybody done it?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jun 2007, 08:11 pm »
John,

In your setup is the noodle making direct contact with the underside of the plinth, or the bottom of the base?  That might account for a difference, don't know.

Hey John,
I wondered that as well, but your reply made sense to me (at least at this moment   :?).

Do you think the weight of your TT is similar to the VPI plinth/platter?  Maybe less weight makes for less damping.  Maybe only warm colored noodles work.  Or, maybe the VPI employee is an evil prankster (hey boys, let's see if they're dumb enough to try this...). :evil:

Now I'm curious to see if it'll work on mine... a bad sign.  I'll get a warm color.  :wink:

Carlman

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jun 2007, 08:52 pm »
How interesting... I work for a company that makes pool noodles... except they're called 'Dippers' under the "Planet Foam" brand.  Here's the brochure:  http://www.planetfoam.com/2007%20Catalog%20Planet%20FOAM.pdf

I know there are a lot of differences amongst them.... If anyone needs some samples, let me know... they come in different shapes and sizes.

-C

TheChairGuy

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jun 2007, 09:27 pm »
Hey Henry! - My deck weighs about 32-34 lbs with the added Plast-i-Clay.  If anything, the VPI top plinth and platter et. al, probably weigh a bit less. I bought the blue Knoodle, but there were red, lime and pink ones that I passed on.  I immediately passed on the pink - I didn't want to introduce any girlie sounds into the chain  :icon_lol:

Carl!- Nice offer...but they are some 5' long.  Your offer is gracious, but the UPS charges on the $2.00 Knoodle for 5' (it can't weigh but 10 oz overall) would be a whole lot more than just buying one. You can get them (likely) at Kerr Drug, Walgreens, Rite Aid and CVS's in your area for cheap.  But, unless you want to swat your wife with them and feel $2.00 would be well spent aa that way - it's a pretty horrid isolation device for audio   

ohenry

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jun 2007, 10:10 pm »
So many noodles, so little time:

Horse Noodle...

Chair Noodle (John... try not to be envious)

Work That Noodle...

Deep Noodle (every guy's dream) aa...

Carlman

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jun 2007, 01:23 pm »
Carl!- Nice offer...but they are some 5' long.  Your offer is gracious, but the UPS charges on the $2.00 Knoodle for 5' (it can't weigh but 10 oz overall) would be a whole lot more than just buying one. You can get them (likely) at Kerr Drug, Walgreens, Rite Aid and CVS's in your area for cheap.  But, unless you want to swat your wife with them and feel $2.00 would be well spent aa that way - it's a pretty horrid isolation device for audio   

I realize they're cheap enough... and you can get them at a lot of places... but what you may not realize is that brands differ in materials so if anyone wanted to try different thicknesses or densities, I can get my hands on this stuff for at least 1 brand... Basically if anyone wanted help in figuring out why these worked, I'm offering help.  I know the engineers that make it who could help answer technical questions also.  BTW, I doubt anyone needs 5' uncut lenghts... So, I'll continue to try to be helpful regardless.

-C
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2007, 01:51 pm by Carlman »

TheChairGuy

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jun 2007, 03:36 pm »
 :thumb: Cool, Carl.