Static electricity?

Folsom

Static electricity?
« on: 1 Dec 2006, 06:13 am »
I am listening to Neil Young's greatest hits on vinyl.... I get a fair amount of static type sounds, but nothing like the pops and wistles of an old album even after cleaning. The stupid thing picks up my POS felt mat off the platter everytime too.

Would there be something I can do to make this thing stop? I am going to wash it I guess...

George

• spydernation
Re: Static electricity?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2006, 06:19 am »
Somebody used to make an "anti-static pistol".... was it disc washer? I went through a couple of them; they actually worked. I have no idea if such a critter still exists or not.

AHA! A search of our friend the inner webs has shown us this:

http://www.uhfmag.com/Analog.html

Scroll about half way down that page.

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2006, 06:28 am »
My need of a herbies mat is ridiculous..... help stop this perpetuation of static!

That sounds sort of interesting.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2006, 06:39 am »
$93 ouch

George

• spydernation
« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2006, 06:50 am »
The cost of one coca-cola per day for 3 months.

Added bonus: those things take the static right out of clothes. Your wife will love it.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2006, 07:58 am »
I do not drink regular soda...

I made a post under music... It might just be this one LP that is giving me all the gruff. What sucks is how revered it is...

Gordy

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2006, 10:34 am »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2006, 01:48 pm »
How about something like this?  A new take on the Watts Dust Bug and anti-stat arm...  http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIVERSAL-DUST-BUG-ANTI-STATIC-RECORD-CLEANER-TONEARM_W0QQitemZ170053069302QQihZ007QQcategoryZ48648QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey DOS,

Glad you are back spinning.  I got one of these but it doesn't fit my table set up -- my platter sits too high.  It may work for you if your platter isn't 4" thick.  I will give you a good old college discount -- just pay for shipping.  PM me with you address as I am sure you moved this school year.   8)  Oh, those days!  I was back in my old stomping ground this past weekend and visited the house I used to live in.  What a dump....   :lol: :lol: 

gooberdude

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2006, 04:07 pm »
I 3rd the Dustbug.    just bought the $40 grounded one on ebay a few months back, its a terrific product. 

living in chicago in the winter is a pain in terms of static...my place is horrible even with constant humidification.    Get a Dustbug and herbie's $50 Way Excellent mat - the $100 spent will change how you spin vinyl & and the sonic gains from the Dustbug + the mat aren't 'subtle' either.

If you're stereo rack is made of metal, also try attaching a thin wire to it and also to the earth lug on your phono preamp.  i have 3 ground wires attached to mine: tt, rack earth & Dustbug earth.  the noise floor DROPS.

back in the day the felt would stick to lp's and i wouldn't catch it...it'd take me a while to find it after parties and what not!

i also have an Ionolcast from Mapleshade, its better than the Milty gun and cheaper.   i only use it for CD's and DVD's now though.

the dustbug also purportedly saves wear and tear on the stylus...no matter how clean the vinyl is after every side of play a tiny dustball gathers on the end of the DB.  the stylus tracks really clean grooves.