Anyone know about Grace F-9 Cartidge?

HarleyMYK

« on: 15 May 2003, 04:58 pm »
Well, you guys have encouraged me to pull out my old TD-160 that has been in a box through 5 moves and 9 years.  It has a Grace G-707 arm and a Grace F-9 cartridge.  I'll probably see how much I use it before I upgrade, but does anyone know anything about the F-9 cartridge?  Is there anyone in the West Los Angeles / SFV area that can check it out and see if it needs to be replaced?  Is there a way I can check it myself?

Thanks!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2003, 03:01 am »
Ah, the old Grace F-9.  Came in two versions..E and Ruby.  The E was far more popular and it had a greenish body.  The ruby (supposedly ruby tip) I think was reddish in color and more expensive.

Way cool cartridges - had one myself (F9E) for many years.  A little careless with my finger once and...poof.  Replaced with a Shure V15 (latest) two years ago.

Get a good stylus cleaner (LAST makes some good ones) and listen.  You can certainly get better on the market these days (better windings, stiffer body, more exotic stylus tip configurations) but if it sounds okay to you, stick with it.  It was a cult cartridge for many years..I loved mine.  Still got it, couldn't part with it even tho worthless and bent now.

Replacement stylus' appear on ebay and audiogon every once in awhile, too. Enjoy analog!

michael w

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2003, 12:24 pm »
There was also an "L" version using the Advanced Luminal Trace stylus, this was a long, narrow contact type, similar to a cutting stylus.

This cheaper stylus had a slightly lower effective moving mass and a higher output than the E (5.5mV vs.3.5mV of the E).

Back in 1983 the F-9L was $180USD, the F-9E was $200USD and the Ruby $300USD.

The F-9E was one of my favorite MM cartridges.
Amazingly seductive sound due in no small part to it's high frequency extension and clarity, a by-product of the cartridge originally being designed for playback of CD-4 quadrophonic records.

Back in the 80s this cartridge was often placed in the same exalted class as top MCs like the Koetsus. The Grace's only failing being slightly subdued dynamics compared with the best MCs.

cheerio

hifitommy

Grace F-9 Cartidge
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2003, 06:37 pm »
the g707 arm is nice, which tt is it mounted on?

the f9e had a chartreuse plastic front, the r had a red front.  my f9e is mounted on t rabco sl8e arm/modified st4tt combo.  it still works fine.  similar in sound to an ADC XLM which is a BIG compliment.  

i hope your f9e is in good cond, i could look at the stylus with my 40x handheld stylus microscope.  i live in sylmar, work in sherman oaks, and go to record surplus frequently.  maybe we can meet up if you are still in this quandary.  i see the date of the post is in may, this is aug.  

the ruby had a ruby CANTILEVER, the tip of course is a diamond.  dynavector makes a mc with a ruby cantilever and one with diamond cantilever.

michael w

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2003, 12:11 am »
The important thing to remember is that the Grace F9E is an old cartridge and the chances of getting replacement stylii or any sort of backup service are very slim.

Having said that, there was a stylus up on Ebay (Australia ?) about 3/4 months ago.

cheerio