Aiwa Turntable Help

gitarretyp

Aiwa Turntable Help
« on: 25 Aug 2005, 11:26 pm »
I have an Aiwa AP-2600U turntable with a micro-benz cartridge that i inherited from my father. I really know very little about it and am considering getting into vinyl a bit more. I've been using this table with a cheap parasound phono pre to play the few albums i have, and the sound is okay.

Now, to my questions:

Does anyone know anything about this table? It's pretty hefty (~25 lbs) and seems well built, but i'm basically a vinyl newbie. The only info i could find anywhere were two pictures and a british site selling styluses. What i really want to know is if the the table is worth keeping or selling (if i sell it, i'd probably get something like a used rega p3). If keeping it, is it serviceable or upgradeable (ie, tonearm, cartridge,...)? Or, if selling, any idea what it might be worth?

Photos are in my gallery.

gitarretyp

Aiwa Turntable Help
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2005, 06:44 pm »
No one is familiar with this table?

By the way, it was purchased in the late 70s or early 80s.

TheChairGuy

Aiwa Turntable Help
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2005, 07:46 pm »
Look on ebay to see if there is the same model selling there - it'll give you an idea what it may be worth.

It's neat/clean looking...I don't remember seeing Aiwa TT's in the 70's or 80's so I can't guide you on it other than pointing you to ebay (if you haven't already checked there for it)

gitarretyp

Aiwa Turntable Help
« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2005, 04:51 am »
I've been doing a bit of work restoring the table and have found that the spindle appears to be slightly bent. This manifests itself as a slight wobble of the platter.

I've posted some pictures of the table and its innards in my gallery. As you can see in the photos, the motor's model number is MKQ-15C1. Is anyone familiar with this motor or possible replacements? Googling the table or motor number turns up nothing of relevance. I can take pictures of the inside of the motor, if that helps.

I still haven't found much info about the table, either (aside from it having been made circa 1981). So any general info about the table one might have, i'd love to hear about it.

gitarretyp

Aiwa Turntable Help
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2005, 08:59 pm »
I've added more images of the motor and platter assembly to my gallery.

Unless anyone has a suggestion for how to possibly repair the spindle or thinks that this might be a really nice table if repaired (ie, better than a refurbished thorens or other vintage table), i'll probably leave it as is and purchase a different table in the near future.

What negative effects is the platter wobble likely to have? The wobble is ~0.5mm in height.

gitarretyp

Aiwa Turntable Help
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2005, 03:41 pm »
On closer inspection, i really doubt the spindle is bent, as it appears to be 3/8" steel. What i think is more likely is that the spindle is not mounted correctly in the sub-platter.

I'm going to be putting this up for sale shortly, but i thought i'd offer it through here first to see if there's any interest (please, make offers). The table itself and the cover are in really excellent physical condition (see photos). The couter-weights, anti-skate, and lift/lower (it is an auto-lift table) all function correctly. The speed is steady at 33 1/3 and 45 (checked with strobe disc). VTA on the arm does seem to be adjustable.

The only problems i can discern are the wobbly platter and there is a rubber cushion on the headshell that is pretty badly deteriorated.

It includes a nice Micro-Acoustics 530-MP (for cartridge info, go here and search for micro-acoustics) cartridge and spirit level. I don't know the number of hours on the cartridge, but i doubt it's very high. I don't have the original boxes (or manual) for the table (strengely, i do for the cartridge), so shipping will be a bit pricey (~$30).