Buzz on Right Channel

hmen

Buzz on Right Channel
« on: 12 Mar 2005, 06:10 am »
I just put together a simple TT system. Right now I'm using a Technics SL-10 into an ASL phono stage which goes into an AES/Cary pre. Sometimes I get a loud buzz on the right channel. I've even heard police radios through the right speaker, but only when I'm using the phono. This doesn't happen when I use the CDP. I have the ground wire from the TT firmly connected to the phono stage. Anybody have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Marbles

Buzz on Right Channel
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2005, 04:22 pm »
One of your right IC's is poorly sheilded, and or it's ground is making intermittant contact.

Just hope it's not one of the internal tonearm wires.....

I would replace the one closest to the TT first, if that doesn't work, replace the next one down the line.  If neither of them work, then it is probably the internal tonearm wire....

audiochef

right channel buz -hum
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2005, 08:34 am »
I,ve experienced a similar problem with an 80s Sony tt . Right channel only. Repair shop could'nt fix it . hope it's not the same problem.

Tonto Yoder

Buzz on Right Channel
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2005, 01:39 pm »
Might also try just switching left for right/right for left going into the phono: if the buzz moves from right speaker to left one, that's one particular problem; if the buzz stays in the right speaker, that's a different problem.

Also could switch the cartridge tags, again right for left/ left for right and check if the buzz moves. It's sometimes difficult to change tags since they're so small, so I'd try other methods first.
Hope this helps diagnose the problem (but it doesn't do anything to solve the situation).