hw-19 vs scout

jeralz

hw-19 vs scout
« on: 12 Feb 2005, 05:18 am »
I own a hybrid Hw -19 (mixture of series 2 and 3 acrylic armboard, lead lined platter) with rega arm. Actually quite happy with it but am being prodded to upgrade to the scout.  Is the Scout really that much better than the hw-19 version i have?

WEEZ

hw-19 vs scout
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2005, 02:03 pm »
You will probably get mixed opinions on this question- but, IMHO- no. If your 19 is working fine and you like it; upgrading with a SAMA will cost less than starting over with a Scout.

However, if you like a bit more PRAT; then maybe the Scout is for you. The Scout allows for a bit more 'air' and punch, but has a slightly smaller presentation (soundstage) than the 19.

If you want to stay with the VPI line, you might consider an Aries (or TNT Jr). These will allow you to upgrade to a longer arm in the future if you feel you need or want that.

If you decide to go with the SAMA- don't wait too long. VPI has dicontinued the 19 series, perhaps making the SAMA harder to find.

If it were me, I'd just enjoy the 19 and save my money for when your motor and/or bearing wears out- and enjoy the tunes in the meantime.

best,

WEEZ

bacobits1

hw-19 vs scout
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2005, 02:47 am »
Although I have not heard a Scout I have an MK III and I love it. I just changed the springs out for the VPI sorbothane pucks and it sounds great. There are parts out there and will be for awhile. Mine is 10+ years old and runs perfect in mint condition. I have no intensions of changing it. I also as mentioned by WEEZ like the wood look of the table. It is one solid piece of equipment.

Den

Jim Thomas

hw-19 vs scout
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2005, 08:16 pm »
Quote from: bacobits1
Although I have not heard a Scout I have an MK III and I love it. I just changed the springs out for the VPI sorbothane pucks and it sounds great. There are parts out there and will be for awhile. Mine is 10+ years old and runs perfect in mint condition. I have no intensions of changing it. I also as mentioned by WEEZ like the wood look of the table. It is one solid piece of equipment.

Den

What was accomplished by changing out the springs for the sorbothane pucks?  It seems like that would be converting your HW-19 down to a Jr.  Also, does anyone know of a link to a photo of the HW-19 with the standalone motor?  What improvement could I expect from this?  (My HW-19 was a I upgraded to a II with the acrylic platter and armboard.)  Thanks.

WEEZ

hw-19 vs scout
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:04 pm »
Hello Jim, and welcome to AudioCircle.

At the time I upgraded my jr to mk111- the kit included the upgraded platter; acrylic armboard & motor cover; the spring assemblies; and a one-piece clamp.

Like bacobits, I too re-installed the pucks in lieu of the springs (left all the other mk111 parts in tact). The platter was the sound upgrade, IMHO. The springs had two disdvantages for me: 1) my suspended floors made for footfall problems with the springs; and 2) my system had better bass and soundstage with the pucks.

I could be wrong, but I think the latest 19 series all had the pucks- even the mk1V. The platters were the key sonic improvement.

WEEZ

WEEZ

hw-19 vs scout
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2005, 11:09 pm »
oops...

As far as the SAMA- can't provide a picture (maybe someone else can) but I did not choose to make that upgrade- and probably won't, now. The obvious benefit is when the motor is not attached to the plinth- vibration and feedback/hum/noise is greatly reduced, resulting in better resolution.

WEEZ

mcrespo71

hw-19 vs scout
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2005, 01:33 am »
Weez hit the nail on the head between thes two tables.  Go with your preferences.

Michael

bacobits1

hw-19 vs scout
« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2005, 02:19 am »
That is correct. The last produced MKIII and MKIV had the springs replaced with the pucks. I purchased the actual VPI pucks since they are the right diameter and height. I have suspended floors too since my dedicated room is upstairs and these helped very much.

As far as the external motor mod I don't have the space on the shelf to do it. Some of VPI's upgrades are too expensive. It actually comes down to buying the upgraded table used in the case of going from a III to a IV.

Den