Moving coil cartridges with MM phono stages?

Hantra

« on: 11 Mar 2003, 09:33 pm »
All:

Can a MC cartridge be used with a MM phono stage?  What's the deal with that?

Thx!

B

Oz_Audio

« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2003, 09:42 pm »
Use must use a high output MC to work with a MM stage.

It would be same a trying to run speakers directly from a pre amp!

Oz

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2003, 10:32 pm »
What's considered "high output" please?

Why the heck would a company like Audio Note put a MM phono stage in a $4,000 integrated if there was no use for it!?  Arrgh!

B

Tonto Yoder

No use for it??
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2003, 10:44 pm »
There are very good MM carts (I use a Clearaudio Aurum) and many high output MC's (generally labeled "High Output").
One example--this Dynavector comes in two versions-- a high output (2.5 mv) and a low (.25mv)
http://www.needledoctor.com/showitem.cfm?catnum=2&itemnum=248

Psychicanimal

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2003, 12:00 am »
Make sure your preamp has good line conditioning and your digita (if any)  is isolated--will make a world of difference...

duff138

Re: No use for it??
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2003, 12:17 am »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
There are very good MM carts (I use a Clearaudio Aurum) and many high output MC's (generally labeled "High Output").
One example--this Dynavector comes in two versions-- a high output (2.5 mv) and a low (.25mv)
http://www.needledoctor.com/showitem.cfm?catnum=2&itemnum=248

I  agree, there are many quality high output MC cart.  Many MC cart.'s will sound better through a MM phono pre-amp.   I tried a rotel phono amp and it sounded better with the MM setting, even though I had a MC cart.  The MC setting on the  phono amps picked up more surface noise.
  Plus there are also many great MM cart available too.

Oz_Audio

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2003, 09:22 pm »
Denon also make a very good high output MC, the DL160.

Highly recommended and not expensive, about US$150.00

Oz

Ecaroh

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2003, 06:18 am »
"What's considered "high output" please?"

From about 2.0 mV up.

"Why the heck would a company like Audio Note put a MM phono stage in a $4,000 integrated if there was no use for it!?  Arrgh!"

There are lots of true audiophile MM cartridges, which many prefer to the MC sound. Some examples already mentioned. Others include Goldring, the Reson Reca, Audio Note's own retooled Goldring 1012 or 1022, as well as Grados priced at as much as $600 or so, with the Sonata possibly more than that. Shure and Stanton should be mentioned too.

High-output MCs are available from Benz (the Silver is a wonderful cart.), Sumiko, Denon (as somebody mentioned), Ortofon, and no doubt some I forget.

With a first-rate arm and turntable, you can get fantastic sound from a cart. like the Grado Silver or Gold, priced at around $150. In fact, the arm/table purchase can be worthwhile with cartridges priced considerably below those.

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2003, 07:01 pm »
Kevin Carter of K&K Audio sells a MC step up transformer kit for $200.00.

Kevin has designed a LOT of phono sections. His latest designs are being used by ART AUDIO http://www.artaudio.com/vinylref.html

It also uses the same Lundahl transformer.

I just ordered the kit to use with Craig Brady's Benz Ruby (0.3mv output) on the Teres through the Radii preamp.

Check out some more of Kevin's kits and accesories:
http://members.aol.com/kevinc927/index.html

hifitommy

MM phono stages need
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2003, 07:07 pm »
a stepup transformer or pre-preamp (gain stage) sometimes called a head amp.  these arent so available now but the k+k site has a kit.  theres a marshall leach plan also.  

high output mc carts arent usually as good as the low ones.  this point is arguable of course.

contact me.