What turntable?

Songforyou

What turntable?
« on: 17 Dec 2004, 12:24 am »
I'm considering purchasing a VPI Scout.  Have listened to the Scoutmaster, but I'd be pushing the price envelope with that one and using the peripheral ring would make me nuts.  Also listened to the Rega P3, but in a lesser system.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  I'm looking for easy set up and use as well as good sound.

Related question: is anyone familiar with the VPI center weight?  Is it better than their regular clamp?

Thanks

mcrespo71

What turntable?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:15 am »
The Scout is a great all around table.  I've spent a lot of time with it and can only say it tis one of the most well balanced tables I've ever heard- regardless of price.  I'd call it the Honda Accord of turntables.  

Michael

JoshK

What turntable?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:17 am »
Wow...I am proud of you Michael you didn't once mention Rega.  :lol:  j/k of course!  I haven't heard the scout but heard good things about it.

WEEZ

What turntable?
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:44 am »
Hey Songforyou!

As I have posted before, I have owned AR, Thorens, Rega, and VPI.

I prefer VPI because I favor the large, full, open soundstage that my HW-19 offers. My former Rega was fine- don't get me wrong- I just like what the VPI turntables do. Maybe it's just the sheer mass of the damn things- I don't know for sure.

Elusive Disc is showing a special on the Scout right now that includes the JMW-9 tonearm with a Dynavector 10x5 mounted for $1800. Add the VPI tonearm cable from Audio Advisor for $200 and for two grand you've got a really decent vinyl rig.

For what it's worth- I've owned the Dyna 10x4 when I had my Rega and it was great. I can only assume it would sound as good or better with the VPI.

The good thing about the Scout (IMHO) is that it also works well with the Grado wood bodies- which I prefer. Rega's do not.

Good luck..

WEEZ

ps: I only have experience with the one piece clamp (HW-2009) so I can't comment on any other VPI offerings-

doug s.

• makin' music
What turntable?
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2004, 03:07 am »
the scout is a great deck.  but, for the price of a new scout, you could really get a kick-ass turntable, if you shopped used.  that's what i'd do.  (that's what i *did* do, actually...)   :)

doug s.

Rocket

turntable recommendation
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2004, 03:29 am »
Hi,

Have you thought about purchasing the bix turntable from;

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/

It sells for about $750us with a rega rb250 tonearm or bluenote tonearm.

It is supposedly a giant killer for the price.

Regards

Rod

mcrespo71

What turntable?
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2004, 04:30 am »
Quote from: doug s.
the scout is a great deck.  but, for the price of a new scout, you could really get a kick-ass turntable, if you shopped used.  that's what i'd do.  (that's what i *did* do, actually...)   :)

doug s.

Yeah, and you could just buy a used scout.  At least you could get parts for it and like I said, it's extremely well balanced.

Michael

mcrespo71

What turntable?
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2004, 06:00 am »
Oh, I forgot to add- buy a Rega :wink:  :wink: .  :lol:

I had to get that in!

Doug-
When are you going to recommend using two subwoofers in this thread? :lol:  :lol:  
Michael

Carlman

Re: turntable recommendation
« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:24 pm »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi,

Have you thought about purchasing the bix turntable from;

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/

It sells for about $750us with a rega rb250 tonearm or bluenote tonearm.

It is supposedly a giant killer for the price.

Regards

Rod

That table does look really nice... I wish I'd known about it when I was shopping.  I'd sell the Music Hall I have now to buy it if I didn't have to take a huge hit on it.  I've found the Dyn 10x5 exceeds the quality of my current table.... It's enjoyable, though.... just gives me upgraditis. :( ;)

WEEZ

What turntable?
« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:33 pm »
CORRECTION

The clamp I use is HW-2017. (HW-2009 is the platter)

FWIW..

WEEZ

doug s.

• makin' music
What turntable?
« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:54 pm »
yes, you could save money & wait on a used scout.  

but, if yure wanting to spend $1800, you can do really nicely.  i have $1800 into my turntable.  it's an old oracle delphi, fully updated to mk-v specs, except for the power supply.  here, i opted for the origin-live dc motor kit, powered by a hewlett-packard lab-grade power supply.  tonearm is o-l rega rb250.  this is not the only way to skin a cat, but it's a really nice rig, for the $$$, imo.  and, yes, all parts are still awailable.   :wink:

re: that bix, that looks like a killer deal, & mebbe even competition for buying used $750 decks.  certainly looks like competition for the technics sl1200; the only deck in that price range i'd really be interested in, if i had to buy brand-new...

doug s., still trying to figure out how to get dual subwoofers into this thread...  

:lol:

Songforyou

What turntable?
« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:57 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  I've thought about a Bix (they look great), but I have a local dealer I enjoy doing business with and he is generous with trade-ins.

I've already sold a pre-amp through him, so I have a $1,200 (Canuk $) credit sitting there.  I'm waiting to sell a modified Dynaco ST-70 before bringing home a turntable.  My vinyl collection is not huge, but it is growiing faster than anything else and it will be my primary source.

The dealer sells VPI and Rega (but only has the P3 on the floor).  I like the Rega simplicity.  VPI offers all kinds of upgrades which appeal to some people, but make me crazy.  I settled on the Scout and then the Scoutmaster came out and now the Superscoutmaster.  I'm sure the Superduperscoutmaster is only a month away.  

I listen to all types of music, but my vinyl is primarily jazz, blues, and guitar driven rock (Allman Bros., Clapton etc.).  Listen to a lot of Baroque instrumental and opera, but this is on CD.

I like the Scout and it's almost a done deal.  It does have a bigger presentation.  At what point in the Rega line would I outdo the Scout?  Nothing short of the P9?

doug s.

• makin' music
What turntable?
« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2004, 03:06 pm »
Quote from: Songforyou
Thanks for the feedback.  I've thought about a Bix (they look great), but I have a local dealer I enjoy doing business with and he is generous with trade-ins.

I've already sold a pre-amp through him, so I have a $1,200 (Canuk $) credit sitting there.  I'm waiting to sell a modified Dynaco ST-70 before bringing home a turntable.  My vinyl collection is not huge, but it is growiing faster than anything else and it will be my primary source.

The dealer sells VPI and Rega (but only has the P3 on the floor ...

if yure wanting to support yer dealer, stick w/the vpi.  mebbe you will get lucky, & he'll take a scout in on trade.  

doug s.

meilankev

What turntable?
« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2004, 04:00 pm »
Here's some companies/models that are within (or just over) your price range:

VPI:
$1,665 HW-19 Mark IV
$1,125 HW-19 Mark III
$1,099 Scoutmaster
$1,000 HW-19 JR

Bluenote:
$1,795 Piccolo Signature
$1,595 Bellavista
$1,295 Piccolo

Clearaudio:
$2,000 Solution
$1,500 Champion
$1,000 Emotion

Sota:
$1,950 Sapphire
$1,605 Jewel
$1,095 Satellite

JA Michell:
$1,995 Gyro SE
$1,095 TechnoDec

Project:
$1,499 RM9
$1,299 Perspective

Thorens:
$1,799 TD810
$1,599 TD800

Basis:
$1,799 1400 signature

Kuzma:
$1,800 Stabi S

Music Hall:
$1,499 MMF-9

Roksan:
$1,295 Radius 5

In addition to the turntables listed above, there are a couple of "diy" type companies that have gotten very popular over the last couple of years. they are:
> Nottingham
> Teres
You can find lots of info on them on other audio sites.

I hesitate to give any advice on this, as most all of these turntables will play very, very well. It will likely come down to personal preference (on looks, sound, warranty, ease of use, etc).

I hope this helps,
Kevin

Rocket

another recommendation
« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2004, 04:21 pm »
Hi,

I have had the following turntables;

rega 2
acoustic research eb101 (uk design/built)
rega3
bluenote piccolo (currently)

The bluenote is certainly uses better quality parts (their tonearm is almost equal to the rega rb250/300) than the rega or project perspective or rpm9 turntables.  I extensively looked at those alternatives but the bluenote is certainly better, which of course is only my opinion.

Needldoctor has a deal on the bluenote piccolo turntable at the moment which includes their signature b5 tonearm (mine is the stock b5 tonearm) and an acrylic lid.

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.345/.f

Another one for you to consider.  I personally would look at the bix turntable as it is very good value and you could spend extra on a cartridge.

best wishes

Rod

ps i personally would look at the best deal as most dealers are biased towards products they sell and just want a sale.  sorry but that is my experience and that is why i deal direct over the internet now.

doug s.

• makin' music
What turntable?
« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2004, 05:13 pm »

meilankev

What turntable?
« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2004, 05:21 pm »
On my list of turntables above, the turntable I own is one of those on that list.  But just because it was "best" for me, doesn't mean it would be best for you.

But, this is also true of every other suggestion you've been given in this thread.  The only ears that matter belong to you.

Kevin

Mike D

What turntable?
« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2004, 06:39 pm »
How about a BIX with a Origin Live Silver arm and your favorite cartridge?  Read up on the Origin Live Silver.  It really seems like a dream arm.  The low price of the BIX would allow you to get this arm and Table for around $1,750.  I am considering this for my own system.  It seems to me that no matter which VPI you go with, you are going to pay some for the name.  The BIX is all quality with no name.  :-)

mcrespo71

What turntable?
« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2004, 07:44 pm »
Quote from: doug s.
yes, you could save money & wait on a used scout.  

but, if yure wanting to spend $1800, you can do really nicely.  i have $1800 into my turntable.  it's an old oracle delphi, fully updated to mk-v specs, except for the power supply.  here, i opted for the origin-live dc motor kit, powered by a hewlett-packard lab-grade power supply.  tonearm is o-l rega rb250.  this is not the only way to skin a cat, but it's a really nice rig, for the $$$, imo.  and, yes, all parts are still awailable.   :wink:

re: ...

If you can get a used Oracle Delphi and upgrade it to MKV specs for $1800, then that's a no brainer.  I helped a friend set a new MK V up and it was a bitch IMO compared to setting up the turn key Rega's (15 minute set up) and Scout (30-45 minute set up).  The Oracle literally took two guys about 3 hours to set up- had to mount the Graham tonearm as well.  It's a very good table, but retail it's pretty spendy.

mcrespo71

What turntable?
« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2004, 07:51 pm »
The dealer sells VPI and Rega (but only has the P3 on the floor). I like the Rega simplicity. VPI offers all kinds of upgrades which appeal to some people, but make me crazy. I settled on the Scout and then the Scoutmaster came out and now the Superscoutmaster. I'm sure the Superduperscoutmaster is only a month away.

I listen to all types of music, but my vinyl is primarily jazz, blues, and guitar driven rock (Allman Bros., Clapton etc.). Listen to a lot of Baroque instrumental and opera, but this is on CD.

I like the Scout and it's almost a done deal. It does have a bigger presentation. At what point in the Rega line would I outdo the Scout? Nothing short of the P9?

I'd say at a minimum you would need a P5 with a power supply upgrade to be at the scout level, but it wo't sound as big as the VPI.  That's a VPI forte and every VPI I've heard has that signature.  If you want that, no Rega will give you that type of presentation.  Rega's, especially as you move up the line, image better than the P3 and give more weight, but all Rega's strong point is rhythmic insistence and timing, which IMO leads to a very involving presentation where I forget about the sonics and listen to the music.  Just a different philosophy is all.  

Michael