VPI Periphery Ring... HOW not to install!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: VPI Periphery Ring... HOW not to install!
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2012, 12:22 am »
Thanks!   :thumb:

So it actually covers the edge of the record?  How long is install?  Is it a royal PITA?

TomS

« Reply #21 on: 24 Aug 2012, 01:44 am »
Thanks!   :thumb:

So it actually covers the edge of the record?  How long is install?  Is it a royal PITA?
I had one on my SSM. It's quite easy to use and fast, but you have to be VERY extra careful dropping the stylus on the lead in groove. One slip and it's over.

I also found it doesn't really flatten the typical warped record I have (with short dips). I think the benefit is more of a damping effect from inner to outer edges of the LP.

Minn Mark

« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2012, 02:47 pm »
One additional thing I've done is to use the Classic I with a plug adapter so as to power up with two prongs only (no ground) to  eliminate a ground loop in my system. Can the SDS be used in an "ungrounded" fashion?  Is this OK to do with my TT?  Sounds OK (ground loop hum is gone) but it seems the VPI is prone to static. Even in out humid MN summer Ive had trouble with static accumulation on the LP. I use a zero-stat which helps.

M

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 24 Aug 2012, 02:50 pm »
seems the VPI is prone to static.
Do you use the rubber mat?  If so, ditch it!  I couldn't believe how much static it was introducing.  Vinly directly on aluminum platter is the way to go IMO. 

TheChairGuy

« Reply #24 on: 24 Aug 2012, 06:47 pm »
I also found it doesn't really flatten the typical warped record I have (with short dips). I think the benefit is more of a damping effect from inner to outer edges of the LP.

I find the same.

However an inner AND the outer clamp/ring do notably flatten a record.

As I have the Longhorn outrigger on a Grado...I use a simply large/strong paper clip clamp on the center spindle and it works just fine (albeit, a tad ugly in service)

TomS

« Reply #25 on: 24 Aug 2012, 06:53 pm »
I find the same.

However an inner AND the outer clamp/ring do notably flatten a record.

As I have the Longhorn outrigger on a Grado...I use a simply large/strong paper clip clamp on the center spindle and it works just fine (albeit, a tad ugly in service)
Absolutely no style points for you then  :lol:

tbabb

« Reply #26 on: 5 Sep 2012, 01:33 am »
In regards to the photo, I've had several albums that were cut just little bit under normal size that caused the ring to drop past the vinyl and onto the platter lip.  Nothing that can be done except leave it there and play the album.  At least you have the extra mass to add to the platter inertia.

No Disc

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 12 Feb 2015, 11:15 am »
Yeah VPI has actually said that the ring can be used this way.  They say ring adds extra weight and inertia so even if you do not need to use it to flatten a record it should/can still be placed and left on the table.  I actually do use mine quite a bit just like the photo.  If the record is flat I don't bother with the extra step.  Works fine  :thumb: