The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
« on: 10 Mar 2022, 03:14 pm »
On Amazon Prime.  I came a little late to this series, it didn't look like something I usually go for.  Boy was I wrong, it's fabulous.  Witty, quick, hilarious, great casting, realistic character development, just a very well done series.  The last episode in this year's season is March 11, with the next season being the last, a perfect time for binging.  The backdrop of late fifties, early sixties Manhattan is nearly perfectly recreated, and Midge Maisel is absolutely delightful.  She's a perfect person, until she isn't, but you root for her with every comeback from disaster.  Thoughts?

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2022, 06:22 pm »
Yes, it is a fabulous series.  It takes me back to the 1960's when I was growing up in Brooklyn, NY.  I was born in 1958.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2022, 06:38 pm »
Interesting.  A friend of mine and I watched the first few episodes, and it did not grab us at all. 

Craig B

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2022, 07:48 pm »
We've been fans from the beginning. We had serious withdrawal problems during the pandemic hiatus, until the release of the current season.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2022, 02:57 pm »
Interesting tidbit, the fabulous apartment building at 113th and Riverside where the Maisels and Wiesmanns live is actually Columbia University housing.  I assume faculty only.  Which begs the question of how Moshie Maisel aquired an apartment there.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2022, 03:35 pm »
Agreed, it's a fun show.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2022, 08:20 pm »
I liked the first few seasons.  This last one puts me to sleep... literally.  Just finished sleeping through an episode that my wife thoroughly enjoyed. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2022, 11:26 am »
I liked the first few seasons.  This last one puts me to sleep... literally.  Just finished sleeping through an episode that my wife thoroughly enjoyed.

I was bored by the burlesque stuff until Midge's changes started changing the place from jiggle joint to real classic burlesque.  And I won't reveal any spoilers about the blockbuster event of the latest episode, but holy mackerel.

smargo

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2022, 06:25 pm »
I liked the first few seasons. 

i also liked - no loved the 1st few seasons - but seeing it again - for some reason, its like its passe for me.

i also used to be a fan of when a series came out with all the episodes - i would binge watch it - now im not so sure anymore - i kinda like

looking forward to a new episode each week.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2022, 06:28 pm »
I saw the first few episodes and I really enjoyed them. I recently tried to watch an episode of a later season but EVERYONE spoke SO quickly that it was intolerable.

RichPark

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2022, 03:45 am »
Put the subtitles on. That's what I do.