A call from Sue Kraft

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
A call from Sue Kraft
« on: 1 Nov 2006, 10:21 pm »
I received a pleasant and unexpected phone call from Sue Kraft (the TAS reviewer who evaluated our equiment published last spring).  I had not hear from her in a long time, and she told me it was because she is just now recovering from some very serious surgery.  We had a chat comparing notes on the trial and tribulations of the aftermath of surgery and how very much better it feels to be recovering.

Anyway, she wanted to know if she could purchase the Ultra DAC and Ultra SL preamp she reviewed, and I said of course.

I also did a good pitch, I hope, to get her to look at Jim's web site and hopefully review a set of HT-3s for The Absolute Sound.  I informed her that they were simply better musically than the B&W 800Ds she now has and reviewed so favorably, and in cabinet work quality and design, just no comparision at all.  Since the price is about one quarter of the DM800D price, she sounded very interested. I told her she would not miss the B&W 800Ds at all when they go back if they were replaced by the HT-3s.

I hope she contacts you soon Jim, she really is a nice lady, even if the bass shy 800Ds did give her the wrong impression about the bass performance of our Fet Valve Ultra 550 amplifier (they need an amp with a fat boomy bass response).

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

jules

Re: A call from Sue Kraft
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2006, 11:14 pm »
Frank,

you didn't happen to talk to her if she has some opinions about why women are so totally absent from the audio scene did you?

Jules

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2006, 11:31 pm »
Slightly OT but, IIRC, she was also into seriously modified BMW M3's (as in supercharged, yeah like it needs MORE power).  She used to hang on one of the M3 discussion boards I used to frequent awhile back.

jcrane

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2006, 02:26 am »
  I informed her that they were simply better musically than the B&W 800Ds she now has and reviewed so favorably, and in cabinet work quality and design, just no comparision at all.  Since the price is about one quarter of the DM800D price, she sounded very interested. I told her she would not miss the B&W 800Ds at all when they go back if they were replaced by the HT-3s.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

WOW, better than the 800D musically, the 800D is about the best sounding speaker I have heard. I talked with MR Salk via email last week and I do believe I need to get an audition set up. The thought of selecting the finish I want on a speaker that bests the 800D is making me smile....

Jamie

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2006, 02:34 am »
  I informed her that they were simply better musically than the B&W 800Ds she now has and reviewed so favorably, and in cabinet work quality and design, just no comparision at all.  Since the price is about one quarter of the DM800D price, she sounded very interested. I told her she would not miss the B&W 800Ds at all when they go back if they were replaced by the HT-3s.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

WOW, better than the 800D musically, the 800D is about the best sounding speaker I have heard. I talked with MR Salk via email last week and I do believe I need to get an audition set up. The thought of selecting the finish I want on a speaker that bests the 800D is making me smile....

Jamie

It won't take a very a long listening session to decide which speaker you want to own regardless of cost or finish.   :o

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2006, 03:06 pm »

[/quote]

Jamie
[/quote]

Jamie. just place the order!!

Pete

koiman

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2006, 03:49 pm »
I agree with Big Red Machine Just order it you won't regret it . I have had mine for 15 months and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made..
 :)

BradJudy

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2006, 04:03 pm »
Jamie,

You should have just come out to the RMAF.  :)

Turk

« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2006, 06:00 pm »
Brad's right.  If you had, you would have been like me and most folks I talked to, rating the Salks better than the 800Ds and mucho better looking.  Mgalusha and I spent about a minute in the B&W room....diamond tweeter or no I can't hook up with B&W. I must admit, however, to not being being a B&W fan except for the little 805 2 way that I still think is the most musical speaker they ever made.  I preferred the Salks by a wide margin, perhaps Mgalusha will shell out his 2 cents.  Jim Salk is a gentleman and a superb craftsman.

BradJudy

« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2006, 08:43 pm »
Turk,

Does that mean you and Mike are going to jump onto the Salk bandwagon? 

95bcwh

« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2006, 09:02 pm »
If you listen to rock music (or harsh recordings) a lot, then B&W is more forgiving than Salk, that's my opinion, yours may vary.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2006, 09:28 pm »
If you listen to rock music (or harsh recordings) a lot, then B&W is more forgiving than Salk, that's my opinion, yours may vary.

But now--who would listen to rock or harsh recordings on a Salk?  Actually, the old B&W 801's were some of my favorite speakers.  I haven't heard more recent models (don't know how I missed them in Denver). 

WEEZ

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2006, 10:44 pm »
Dennis, they were being shown with Classe electronics. They were easy to miss from a sonic point of view.

Frank, congratulations on the sale to Ms. Kraft!

Jim, if she does agree to review the speakers, you might emphasize Frank's point about the Ultra amplifier...a very, very good match. (and more than just the great bass, I might add....)

Somehow, it seems that B&W have lost their 'touch' over the years. Maybe it's just me...

WEEZ

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 3 Nov 2006, 02:14 pm »
I've heard 802D's in a B&M right next to Sophia II's and both were wonderful.  I have heard 802D's in someone's house and they were wonderful as well.  I, however, would be sleeping in the garage if I were to spend that kind of dough.  :lol:  I was pretty direct with Jim while auditioning HT3's at his house that I was looking for the speaker that would match these in performance and he was pretty matter-of-fact that they would be better.   :o

He was right.  :D  And I'll save a bundle.  :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 5 Nov 2006, 11:46 pm »
Frank -

Thanks very much for the referral and the kind words.  Much appreciated.

I sure hope Sue was intrigued enough to give us a call. I would be more than happy to make sure she gets a chance to hear the HT3's (or any other speaker she may desire).

- Jim

Doublej

« Reply #15 on: 6 Nov 2006, 11:19 am »
Anyway, she wanted to know if she could purchase the Ultra DAC and Ultra SL preamp she reviewed, and I said of course.

Hopefully she paid the same price as you would charge to the rest of us.