looking at the audiophile

beat

« on: 26 Aug 2003, 03:13 pm »
Hey curt,
I was looking at your website to find info on the purist. However, Since I would like to tweak the crossovers on my speakers Im building, I am considering the audiophile I read about. If I use either preamps, I can bi amp, correct? The difference would be the Audiophile has an active crossover network built in? Could it accomodate a three way system?
thanks, beat

Curt

Re: looking at the audiophile
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2003, 06:27 pm »
Hi beat,

The Audiophile is not available yet. We just finished the Purist and now are working on the PT-2 active 2-way crossover network (AXO) and Audiophile preamp, no release date has not been set.

The Audiophile has dual full range outputs and HP/LP/LPsummed AXO outputs, it can be used to bi-amp 2-way systems or seamlessly integrate subs with 2-way passive loudspeaker systems. It can not do a 3-way, a 3-way system requires one more filter, a bandpass filter.

You could use the full range outputs to drive subs (with built-in filters) while using the HP & LP to drive the tweets and mid-bass, this would make a 3-way system but the sub integration would be questionable, it would be a compromise solution.

The Purist can be combined with the PT-2 AXO (for 2-way) or with the coming PT-3 AXO (3-way), this how we will be doing our 3-ways the Purist and the PT-3.

If you need to go 3-way the PT-3 AXO (when it's available) is our only option, it can be used with any preamp not just IRD models.

Thank you for your interest. I hope this helps you understand our options.

beat

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2003, 03:16 am »
Thanks curt,
maybe I'll just wait till the 3 way comes out. I have a long way to go before I finish this rig.
best regards, beat

Curt

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2003, 08:12 am »
beat,

Don't forget, you will still need a good preamp (the PT-3 is only an AXO [filters]). The Purist preamp is quite good and a very good value, please compare it to your other options.

An important point:

To bi-amp: Adding an extra set of RCAs jacks or connecting a "Y" interconnect cable, to a single output preamp, is a compromise that can shoot you in the foot. The output stage of most preamps can just about drive one cable/amp combo and is usually taxed (Read: can effect the sound) by simply adding a second output in parallel.

The added outputs additional required current and the added output combo's capacitance can effect the output line driver and audio signal, sometimes to the point of ringing or outright oscillation.

The Purist preamp has a separate line driver for every RCA jack which solves these sonic and stability issues :D

Have fun and good luck with your system.

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2003, 10:11 am »
Curt, thanks for this explaination.  I know a Y splitter wasn't the best option but never knew what really went on with the signal.

....now, about the Sabai....will that be ready in 12 months?

Curt

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2003, 10:31 am »
Hi MaxCast,

Funny how things go...

I brought the Purist out and wound up playing with it longer than planned, I just can't stop testing/tweaking it. I don't believe I ever will stop playing with the Purist, I just ordered some more parts to experiment further. I'm worse than you guys  :D

Since the Purist (our reference preamp) sets the sound for all our other products (other components use the same basic circuits and parts just in different configurations) I did drag my feet, hoping to find improvements I could put in the new components. If one has the time, this is a good thing.

Since IRD does the audio stuff as a second business (today anyway) and is not desperate for cash, we were able to afford this delay in order to release the best possible components.

That said: Sorry for the hang-up  :mrgreen:

gonefishin

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2003, 12:59 pm »
Hi Curt...I did some reading at your website regarding the audiophile...the cross over points seem like they're going to be Low-pass Frequencies : 60; 80; 100; 120; 140; 160Hz

High-pass Frequencies : 1500; 1750; 2000; 2250; 2500; 2750; 3000; 3250; 3500; 3750; 4000Hz

The cross over point I need is 600 - 800 LP/hp

Also, I was looking at your purist and am quite interested.  Do you have any records of anyone in the Chicago area that I can contact and talk to?

The other pre I'm looking at is the NOH.  It seems that both units are highly regarded in these circles ;), but provide a bit different presentation from one another...so it seems like it really comes down to preference...as opposed to which is necessarily better.    But without hearing the product...well, you know how it goes...it sure would be nice to listen to components first...but sometimes that isn't possible.

thanks for all the hard work you provide for us  :D

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2003, 01:17 pm »
Sounds like we need an audition sample, Curt  :wink:
I'll be second after gonefishin. :D

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2003, 01:33 pm »
Curt,

One question--not to take this too off topic but you did bring it up--that I had is since the purist has two output line drivers, can I connect the second output to my headphone amp without determent?  I am assuming this is ok but I thought I would ask since maybe it could cause some unforseen effect.   I would use the volume on the headphone amp in the same way I use my pre/pro's volume by turning the purist's volume up.

Curt

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2003, 04:21 pm »
Quote from: gonefishin
Hi Curt...I did some reading at your website regarding the audiophile...the cross over points seem like they're going to be Low-pass Frequencies : 60; 80; 100; 120; 140; 160Hz

High-pass Frequencies : 1500; 1750; 2000; 2250; 2500; 2750; 3000; 3250; 3500; 3750; 4000Hz

The cross over point I need is 600 - 800 LP/hp

Also, I was looking at your purist and am quite interested.  Do you have any records of anyone in the Chicago area that I can contact and talk to?

The other pre I'm lookin ...

Hi gonefishin,

The XO points listed are what we have parts in stock to build, but we can make the XO whatever the customer needs from 20-20kHz. It's just a matter if RC values.

I'm going to put a Purist on tour, you could audition it in your system if you like. I'll start a new thread in my forum today. Please check over there later.

Thanke for your interest.

Curt

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2003, 04:27 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Curt,

One question--not to take this too off topic but you did bring it up--that I had is since the purist has two output line drivers, can I connect the second output to my headphone amp without determent?  I am assuming this is ok but I thought I would ask since maybe it could cause some unforseen effect.   I would use the volume on the headphone amp in the same way I use my pre/pro's volume by turning the purist's volume up.

Hi Josh,

It has 4 output line drivers, one for each RCA connector. And, yes it can connect the Purist directly to a high quality headphone amplifier, it should work perfectly. You can leave it connected all the time and even turn off the HP amp when not in use while listening to the 2ch system.

You can set the Purist for any gain and signal level required to match the headphone amps gain.

Curt

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2003, 04:29 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
Sounds like we need an audition sample, Curt  :wink:
I'll be second after gonefishin. :D

Got you down Max, check out the IRD fourm in a while I'll start the "Purist In Home Audition Tour" thread  :D  What the heck...

gonefishin

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2003, 06:05 pm »
Quote from: Curt
Hi gonefishin,

I'm going to put a Purist on tour, you could audition it in your system if you like. I'll start a new thread in my forum today. Please check over there later.

Thanke for your interest.

:o I would love to audition it!  Thanks so much :)

beat

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2003, 07:02 pm »
Mark me down too!! That would be awesome!!!
thanks Curt

Curt

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2003, 07:57 pm »