Does the chime manuel have a huge mistake?

harryf

Does the chime manuel have a huge mistake?
« on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:07 am »
Ok jim i need clarification is c 410 47 uf 450v? or as the manuel says 10000 uf 10v?
I see the traces that go into that cap have a value of 295 v.
This makes it 47 uf 450v right just like the pic on this site?
Are there any other mistakes?
I think i see one?

WGH

Re: Does the chime manuel have a huge mistake?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2009, 05:36 am »

harryf

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2009, 09:33 pm »
Yes i read that in the manuel.i also went to a site on building the chime and it specificaly says that that c410 is a 47 uf 450v cap.It has a pic and it labels it.
That's not been my only problem.The transformer that mounts to the underside of the board mounts one way.On this same site it says don't trust the label on the transformer to show you the way to mount the transformer. it's written 1 2 3 4 on the under side.This is mounted to the front.
On mine the label is mounted backwards.So i have that transformer in backwards lol!Or should i say dam it!
So there is my problem.
So i will pull it then try 10000 as their already in.If that does not work i'll try 47.
I have a feeling it's 47.
wHAT A PITA.
tHESE INSTRUCTIONS SHOULD BE RE WRITTEN IN MORE DETAIL!!!!

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2009, 11:36 pm »
What is the URL of the website you have been referencing?

I would guess that with millions* of Chimes' having been successfully built by using just the manual that the website is wrong.

Wayne

*Gross exaggeration but I liked the sound of it.  :wink:

harryf

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2009, 12:08 am »
mtbaldy.us~dnewman/chime/#s13
It's also under building a chime or two.
I'm waiting on a few parts i'm replaceing.
I doubt a million chimes have been built in fact i'm afraid i'm the only one.
No one who has built one has come in and said this is the value i did it myself mine works.
Ton's of cornet 2 guys.
Fewer piccolo guy's.
Not many clarinet guys.
Chime builder's seem rarer than a hens tooth!
I'm chomping at the bit to get this thing running.
If it's anywhere near as good as any of jim's other products i will be in for a treat!

WGH

Brinkman

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2009, 06:08 pm »
wHAT A PITA.
tHESE INSTRUCTIONS SHOULD BE RE WRITTEN IN MORE DETAIL!!!!

The manuals are all available online, errors and all, for people to peruse before they purchase anything. This is actually very generous of Jim.

Also, when you type in all caps it looks like you're yelling or pleading, as in: JIM PLEASE DON'T DOUBLE YOUR PRICES SO YOU CAN PAY SOMEONE TO WRITE YOUR MANUALS IN EXCRUCIATING, ERROR-FREE DETAIL.

No one who has built one has come in and said this is the value i did it myself mine works

The guy at the website you mention details his methods. He explains all this in the "errata" section. He also discusses the transformer mounting. 

I wish you the best of luck getting your Chime going.

harryf

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2009, 08:22 pm »
I ment THAT IN CAPS. :nono:
A simple improvement in that manuel would be this1)Explain exactly the transformer orentation.
T400, t500.It's easy to look at the schematic to find out.It's also easy to mess it up.
2)fix the mistake(If it's one) c 410. Is it 10000 uf or 47 uf?
3)Explain exactly where the hook up's are to the power switch/outlet.
This has been a crap shoot in my builds of the clarentet and the cornet
2 .
that's my next mistake.I have messed up that last step in every build.This should be explained in more detail  in colour
A simple page added during shipping would help alot.A very easy thing to do.
Not a angery rant at jim a simple easy suggestion to help us kit builders.
Any of this should be added to the website as i find parts of the manuel hard to read.
The comp is much clearer.

fatty

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2009, 11:57 pm »
Hello,

I think that if you read the article "Building a Chime or Two" it is very clear explaining the mistake. There are two C410's----one is in the filament supply and that is low voltage 10,000 uf and the other is high voltage 450 volts. By process of elimination you should get them in the right place. However, if you read the parts list it clearly shows which cap goes where.

harryf

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2009, 05:55 am »
yeah i read the site i also see the pic that says 47 uf 450 v.Not 100000 uf 450v

fatty

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2009, 03:34 pm »
Harry,

Relax----if you will install the caps per the picture on the "Building a Chime or Two" it will be correct.

I also agree with you about the mistakes in the manual and also there needs to be a clearer explanation regarding the IEC/fuse wiring----but sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

harryf

« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2009, 06:22 pm »
Actually fatty i'm quite calm!!!!!!!lol :D
I just got my parts in to finish my chime.
Sometime around 12 am i'm sure i will be listening to my new toy.
I would just add that there should at the very least be a add on in the section on building the chime.With a simple statement an how the transformers are orentated underneith the chassis.
A simple sentence on the site is all that`s needed a warning.
A clear pic of the cornet 2,clarnet and chime nees to be added in colour.This pic neede to have no power transformer installed just the stock plug switch with the wire`s in the colour`s specified hooked up.
Just add this pic to the build pic section.
If there is a mistake it need to be corrected on the websight.If it can`t be in the manuel as they have been printed already a insert needs to be sent about the proper value.
Before i dove into this build i read every post i could on this site.I never found my problem`s and their solution`s until i found that site.
A link to that site would be great too.

I`m writeing this for the next guy who comes alog.Maybe he will read this post and not make my mistakes.

hagtech

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2009, 03:24 am »
I think the PCB silkscreen has an error with two C410 on it.  I forget.  Follow this photo, the larger diameter caps ar the 47uF 450V.

jh