Altering transformer primary to adjust secondary voltages... I cheated.

ScottRT

I have been meaning to check the heater voltages in my C2, and today I did. only 5.7 volts, and all the other test point were down almost 10%.

So I reconfig'd the primary wiring as though I had 110 household current source (its actually 120). Every test point was now only 1% above spec, but heater votage shot up to 6.48 volts.

So, Jim, this is what I did, and I hope its OK, I swapped the Blue and Blue/yellow wires back around on the primary, to the 120 volt 'poistion', and left the Black/Black-Red in the 110volt 'position'.  This dropped heater voltage back to 6.21 volts, and all the other test voltages are now only 1.5 ~ 2 % lower than spec'd. - WIll this hurt the H370 tranny over time, or throw anything else out of whack downstream?

It seems to run just as cool as ever. Cripes, way more dynamic! 

I am using what was a NOS Bendix 6106 Rectifier tube.  My voltages used to be better a year ago, so I dont know if the ol' Bendix is getting tired? I thought these old rectifiers would go for thousands of hours.  Is it possible I have hurt it by doing ALOT of tube rolling in the V200 to V202 positions ( I generally turn the power off, count to ten, swap the 12--7, then power right back on. Is this too fast)

Appreciate your feedback.

I could move the b/b-y wires back to the 110v position to coincide with the bl/bl-r , (even though my home is 120v) and alter the value of R223 to get down to  6.3 heater volts. Is that a better idea?

Scott T.

ScottRT

THis is not the right way to adjust voltages.
- Tranny ran hotter
- Soundstage flattened
- No life or warmth to the sound

I put the wiring back and adjusted the heater resistor to get proper heater voltage.

I was just trying to be lazy I guess.

Scott T.