advice on new headphone set-up?

kac00

advice on new headphone set-up?
« on: 29 Jan 2008, 04:01 pm »
Hi all,

Looking to put together a headphone listening setup in a second room...

I'd like to have a CD and phono source, but I'm not sure how to switch them into a headphone amp. The castanet doesn't have input selection.

The bugle will stay in the rack where it is, so I'll need a preamp for the second turntable too.

Jim, still have any of those Oboe boards around!!

Thanks,
-Keith

saisunil

Re: advice on new headphone set-up?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2008, 04:05 pm »
You could get a line router from Mapletree audio
http://www.hollowstate.netfirms.com/

You can upgrade RCAs, switches etc.
I just recently got one.

Cheers

Theo

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2008, 06:24 pm »
Hi all,

I'd like to have a CD and phono source, but I'm not sure how to switch them into a headphone amp. The castanet doesn't have input selection.

The bugle will stay in the rack where it is, so I'll need a preamp for the second turntable too.

Thanks,
-Keith

While we're DIY'ers, we can build our own "line router".  It's pretty cheap to build, and if you'd built any of Jim's kits this is a walk in the park.  Get a few $6 pairs of gold plated RCA mounts, a $15 chassis, a $15 Grayhill selector switch similar to the one used in Jim's Clarinet preamp, and a length of high purity copper or silver wires.  I built one for myself a while back for about $60.  I've connected it to my new Castanet for a very workable preamp substitute.  The sound is quite transparent to my ears.

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2008, 06:40 pm »
Yes, go with a passive router.  Connectors, switches, and wires.  And a nice box.  Nothing more.

Or, build it into the CASTANET.  There is plenty of room on the back panel for another set of RCAs and a switch.

jh

duff138

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2008, 12:28 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks,
-Keith

While we're DIY'ers, we can build our own "line router".  It's pretty cheap to build, and if you'd built any of Jim's kits this is a walk in the park.  Get a few $6 pairs of gold plated RCA mounts, a $15 chassis, a $15 Grayhill selector switch similar to the one used in Jim's Clarinet preamp, and a length of high purity copper or silver wires.  I built one for myself a while back for about $60.  I've connected it to my new Castanet for a very workable preamp substitute.  The sound is quite transparent to my ears.

Anyone have any good instruction on how to construct one of these?  I too need one for my headphone set up.

Theo

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2008, 05:54 pm »

Anyone have any good instruction on how to construct one of these?  I too need one for my headphone set up.

Check out this link under its "preamp" section on how to build one.  Has real simple instructions.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/aagreen/