Anyone use their HagUsb to record streaming audio?

rotcoddam

Anyone use their HagUsb to record streaming audio?
« on: 16 Jun 2007, 04:22 am »
 Just run the HagUsb headphone out to your soundcard line-in, using recording software to capture it. It works. I'm not sure what kind of quality to expect though, as I haven't played it back on my system yet. (cp to SB3) 
  Anyone know if this would work sending the HagUsb digital to a soundcard with a digital input?

hagtech

• Facilitator
    • http://www.hagtech.com
Re: Anyone use their HagUsb to record streaming audio?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2007, 06:49 pm »
Wait, can't you just record the streaming audio straight to disk?  Makes no sense to go from digital audio data to USB to analog and then back to digital audio data.  There must be a file->save or similar.

jh

dnewman

Re: Anyone use their HagUsb to record streaming audio?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2007, 01:07 am »
Wait, can't you just record the streaming audio straight to disk?  Makes no sense to go from digital audio data to USB to analog and then back to digital audio data.  There must be a file->save or similar.

jh

While I don't know if this is the case here, some of the streaming audio formats and protocols
are designed to specifically prevent lay users from recording them to disk.  You ostensibly
need to use some proprietary tool to receive the stream and that tool attempts to send it
out -- and only out -- your sound card.  For example, the tool may also be forcing you to
listen to some 30 minute ad first or displaying ads or both.  Usually, the formats and protocols
are trivial to reverse engineer.  (You'd be surprised just how many software engineers think
that using a bit mask with an exclusive OR operator constitutes an encryption algorithm!)

Cheers,
Dan