Brother, can you spare an LED dome?

shayes

« on: 11 May 2006, 06:50 pm »
Seriously. This is the only part for my Cornet 2 that I somehow managed not to include in my order to Digikey.

ohenry

« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2006, 07:53 pm »
Bummer.  That's one of those $.49 parts where you can actually order only one (instead of a requisite five or ten), so I don't have any left-overs.  Maybe Jim has one lying around.

The good thing about it is that you can pop it in anytime after the case is all together, so there isn't the disassembly issue and you can enjoy the Cornet until you need more parts from D-K.

Bill Epstein

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2006, 02:36 am »
It's some work, but you don't need the dome. I made a wood case and used a hole in the front to show the LED. Easy to adapt to the metal case. Epoxy a small 3/4"thick pine block inside the front panel where you want the indicator. Drill a 3/16" hole through the front and clear on out the other side of the wood. Now drill a hole in the wood just wide and long enough to admit the LED using the 1/8" hole as a guide. Dab some Carpenters Goop or silcone caulk on to hold it.
And you have an extra ventilation hole up top.

StevenACNJ

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2006, 10:09 am »
I purchased some of these chrome 5mm led bezels. They also have 3mm size. Makes installation very simple.

http://www.frozencpu.com/ele-39.html

ohenry

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2006, 12:15 pm »
Quote from: StevenACNJ
I purchased some of these chrome 5mm led bezels. They also have 3mm size. Makes installation very simple.

http://www.frozencpu.com/ele-39.html

That's a good idea.  Radio Shack has those and the black plastic version in the 5mm size.

shayes

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2006, 04:52 pm »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Jim has graciously mailed me the part.